Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in March this year i picked up an 06 SV650 that had been salvaged with a mealy 7 miles on the clock. Replaced the subframe, tail, handlebars, and little plastic sprocket cover and gauges. Rode it around for about a month and half, then sold it and made a few bucks.

I was all sad that i sold it cause it was a) a really fun bike b) great for commuting c) main reason - left me without a bike to ride. So about a week before i sold it i got busy on ebay, craigslist, and about 20 different forums looking for a bike. It just so happens the day i dropped it off (yesterday) i got an email from a guy who i had emailed about a bike on craigslist. He was in town, i went and checked out the bike, and I bought it. So I had to go a torturous 3 hours without a rideable bike in my stable - lol. So here she is, just thought i'd share some pics of the new beast.

Its a 97 m750. Just hit 6000 miles (gotta got get a valve check, [:p]) But its in top shape, staintune mufflers sound incredibly mean, and its a pretty similar type of ride to the sv so it should do well for my commuting. Big bonus for me, bikes got a corbin seat with the awesome looking rear cowl, and came with the stock seat - so it takes a whole 2 seconds to throw that on when my girl wants a ride! Plus he gave me all the oil, filter, washers, screen for the next oil change (not due for a while, he just changed a few hundred miles back). Bike has been cared for super well, all maint done by Greg Rammell. I'm pretty happy with it so far, gotta get it registered so i can ride it around on the streets!

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
Sweet
Definitely do the valve check.

With those Ducs, make sure you let the oil warm up some before you go above 3000 rpm.

Lots of nice mods for the Monster.

Careful with those mufflers... they drag before the pegs on most of the Monsters.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i already called and left a message for the guy that has done all the past maintenance. I found a bunch of articles, and even some videos on DIY, but for the time being, I'd rather just pay to get it done and have it back quick, and not have to dick around with it sitting while i figure shit out and order parts and all that jazz.

I heard about that with the pipes, so I'm gonna try to remain weary of that. The tires are scrubbed in decently and the pipes have no scrapes, so i think it can go over pretty far, but I dont really wanna be draggin them. lol. Bike handles awesome - first bike i've ridden with the steering damper installed and i like it!

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
750 only has single disc brake up front. I think dual discs start on the 900's. Trust me, its plenty of braking power from the single brembo though, that was the first thing i did when i test rode it was get it up to speed an then brake hard to see what it was like, plenty strong. Once i get used to the bike i might give it a go and see how it is with stoppies.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a 97. Its correct, monster 750 got duals in 2001. In 97 the 750 had a single 320mm rotor and 4 piston Brembo gold series caliper. Some of the newer 620's 800's 900's 1000's etc may have duals, i dunno. I just know what mine has. :)

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
That's crazy. I never knew that. Still, I would throw another rotor and caliper on there anyway.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah maybe when i get some cash - its got the mounts for the caliper on the fork and looks like there is room for it (i'm sure there the same forks as the 900 that had duals that year) Problem is even off ebay rotors are like 50-80 and calipers another 80-150. Then i need lines and shit. It works pretty well right now, so I'm not too concerned. I'm thinking i'll keep this thing pretty much stock and focus my funds on my f3 build.

PS - wheelies nice. I clutched it up in first (just riding around my apt complex circle - no plates yet- so not much room to get up to speed for second) and its SOOOOOOO smooth. It just pulls up and is so easy to control. Like the SV was easy, but this thing is like butter - makes me feel so much more confident about gettin my wheelies up to BP. I'm kinda new with the wheelie thing and this bike is great! No endos or stoppies yet -tried a endo but i just ended up skidding the front wheel - my complex's roads suck :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts