Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up a Lincoln 140C Power MIG next week and I am totally stoked. My shop is not wired for 220 yet, so the 120V MIG at this point, for the amount of welding I will do and currently need to do seems to be the best fit for the budget. I am getting a great deal and a bottle for it as well.

It would cost almost 700 bucks to run proper cable to the shop for a subpanel and 220 right now, and I can't do both--copper prices are crazy.

The welding rep where I work has an offer now with the option of a $75 rebate OR a $180 Lincoln Auto darkening helmet...I have a helmet, but it is from the early 80's...which would you guys do? I think I am leaning towards the helmet. Don't know much about em as the one I have is older than the hills, and any welding I have ever done has been arc welding with the ol standard Lincoln buzz box that takes 2 grown men and a small child to slug around.

Can't wait! Just thought I'd share. I can run flux core or a bottle with this setup!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I started welding with an auto darkening then it broke and used a regular one that my brother had. It sucked I went and bought a new auto darkening one after my 2nd attempt to weld something. Go for the helmet

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thursday's the day! For sure getting a 20# bottle of nitrogen, 4 spools of 70S wire, .023, .030 and .023 fluxcore. The welder comes with a gauge, regulator and lines, and I opted for the self darkening welding helmet!

I have some steel and tubing to play around with, and my eyes have just been opened up to all of those 'stickys' I've glazed over for lack of a welder. Lots of reading to get caught up on!

This should help my bike building immensely! My first project on the CB Café will be to fit myself a custom exhaust!

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it only gets better...through our rep at work he is going to do COD and save me nearly 70 bucks!! Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welder in hand. Got a bit of reading to do, as well as cleaning up the shop to make sure combustibles are all out of the way. I have a 20# bottle with a 75% argon 25% CO2 mix...for mig process with .023" wire, what sort of flow should I have for my shielding? EDIT: my lady took good care of me...Im too full to play with the welder tonight...bourbon barrel ale, knob creek bourbon, filet mignon, crablegs, asparagus, rolls...gonna chill and weld tomorrow,...kids drank to much dr pepper. so they wll have to settle for a bit--haha.

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welder is performing awesomely. I have been so busy, and then too tired to upload any pics, but will post up some of my first experiences with the Power MIG a bit later tonight!

·
CB350Cafe first build
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is my first real attempts at overlays. I have some great weld engineers at work and one of them stopped by. After some tutoring, Chimay and Dortmunder Gold's, I was putting down some pretty decent beads!

Welding is addictive--I am so happy I am finally started.

I just inherited a 120V Miller 375 X-Treme Plasma cutter...can't wait to play with that too.

Practice Practice

I think for my first project I plan to make a small down draft table to eat the smoke.

Reactions: shinyribs
1 - 9 of 9 Posts