Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. As some of you know I moved out of my place AGAIN and into my oldest Brothers house. It's a great place actually, and I'm adjusting ok. This is actually the house with the shed and breezeway I used to strip the SV650 down for the 2012 CF Buildoff. The thing I wanted to share with yall is whats around the side of the house:

Decent, right? Nice little greenhouse. Decent little stable, no? Well here's the kicker. Motherfuckers got 120v/240v run through it WITH water! When my Dad spit off the specs to one of the electrical boxes to me we both got so fuckin' excited. Right now NOTHING works in there, like nothing. Theres no power and no water but I'm hoping it's a simple fix. I was told it all worked until a couple years ago. So here's the game plan:

-Build a wood frame with treated 2x4's and lay down a 3/4" plywood floor

-Cut out the 3 panels where that one curved glass window is busted out and make a frame and barn doors to bring the bikes in

-Remove one of those big tables in there and cut the other one down so it's shallower, and make it into a workbench.

I'm excited. I've never had ANYTHING like this before. The shop is okay but it's just a big sttorage unit with ONE outlet to run all our shit off of. No bueno. I can literally see the greenhouse from my bedroom window...theres just so many reasons why this has the potential to be my favorite place in the world.

Anyways I just ewanted to share that with yall.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
LOL @ Jerry. :D

Cool deal JJ. My gf would kill to have that in her yard. For it's intended purpose, of course.

Good luck with it. Hope it an easy fix.

Oh, and about laying plywood for a floor. My neighbor has a dirt floor in his garage. We've tubbed two drag cars in that shop and built another chassis (37 Ford Sedan) from scratch in there. Nothing wrong with a dirt floor. Soaks up the spills! :)

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Well the heat will be cheap in the winter, better work outside in the summer though....

congrats, keep us updated, I'll be interested to see whatcha do in there. Fighters make the best of what they have better than anyone else.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked out the breaker box and the greenhouses wiring is shot somewhere. Would have to get an electrician out here to troubleshoot it and that's not gonna happen anytime soon BUT it is still nice having a shelter outdoors to work on stuff.

·
1,562 Posts
If you were closer I'd help ya sort it, as long as the wiring to the breaker box is still good, everything else can be replaced pretty easy.

Tons on how to's online, you could def figure it out, it's just a little intimidating if you don't know what your doing.

Match the breaker to the wiring gauge, and the wiring to the outlet (example, all 15 amp, don't go putting a 20 amp outlet on wiring for 15 amp) other than that, bare copper or green is ground, white is neutral, black is hot. Connect them in that order (hot last ) as you wire. On switches and outlets themselves, Green screw is ground, silver screw is neutral, gold screw is hot.

If you have any q's shoot me a pm and I'll give ya my number.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help dude. The biggest problem is I dont think we have a wiring diagram to the house. Kinda fuckin' stupid how they don't normally do that like they do with vehicles. Wiring is wiring ya know?

·
1,562 Posts
Do you have a panel in the green house, or just a feed in to say a string of outlets? and fuck, any house that has been lived in period wouldn't be true to the diagram.

It just takes some work to figure out where shit goes. I've spent years tracing wires in my mom's house while doing work, and now I know where most of them go. Still working on a few when time comes.

Perfect example: I did a job yesterday in a rink where the exhaust fans weren't working ("but they used to work") So I start digging in, no power to the unit itself. Double check and the breaker is good and on. So I start popping junction box covers off testing for power. I get three rooms over from where I start and low and behold push up some drop ceiling and there are two light switches hidden up there that are labeled "fan". That was the problem, someone turned them off and put the drop ceiling back in.

So sometimes the problem isn't that big at all, but it might take some time to figure it out.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its not just a string out outlets. Theres several boxes in there. Theres 2 junction boxes on one wall(house exterior wall) and on the other side of the greenhouse is a box with receptacles for both 120 and 240. There's no switch on the breaker box labeled for the greenhouse but my housemate thinks that its on the same switch as the shed on the other side of the property which makes sense.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
can I grow some Herbal Supplements there ?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Nice place dude ^^ btw out in the open is rearly a problem. .. people make hedges out of cush and get away with it :p but i get it... sux if you do get caught. .. anyway congrats on the "garage" it'll probably more then do the trick :)

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Dooder a green house of that size, and with glass panels is worth some cash. Get the measurements then check out prices online, probably cheaper to sell it, and then build a garage, and cooler in summer too!

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dunno man I dont think I wanna go through all that trouble. I doubt anyones gonna take the initiative to actually disassemble it. If I put it on CL Im just gonna get a bunch of lazy bitches that want me to do it for them and then they flake out and dont show up anyways. I dunno...Ill think about it.

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
They tend to produce pretty warm temps even during winter, while maintaining optimum humidity for plant growth as well. Think rain forest, maybe look into insulation or tint or some way to block the light.

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats the problem. I LOVE the light! It's great having all that natural sunlight all day lol. We were thinking on putting plastic roofing on the roof and sides. It's not gonna be closed up like a greenhouse though so I dont think its gonna trap humidity in like a fully enclosed greenhouse. Im gonna put on barn doors from a shed and its gonna stay open most the time. Once I get wiring in there I plan on putting the exhaust fan to work as well as a shop fan to keep cool air circulating through it. You had me out there thinking about how easy it would be for someone to take it all down so I could just sell it though. Why you gotta make me think about stuff Ben?

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
There are a LOT of people into growing their own food naturally now-a-days & away from pestisides, etc. Bet it would sell in nothing flat & for a GOOD price! Good luck with whatever you end up doing with/to it. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts