Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay well this weekend I am going to be Plasti-Dipping my tank, fenders, side panels, frames, wheels, headlight bucket, speedo, etc on a bobber project I am working on.

For those of you experience Plasti-dippers, do you have any tips before I get started? All of my paint is in fair shape, a few litttle spots of surface rust, so I am going to do a light sanding over everything first just to get rid of the surface rust and make the surface a little rougher so it sticks better.

What's the best thing to use to clean everything up after prep work before spraying, acetone?

Also, I saw a lot of people said wait 10 minutes before coats and do at least 4 coats, does that sound about right?

Thanks,
Spencer

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah man flash time between coats and do 4 coats. You can use acetone, windex, anything that will evaporate and leave no junk behind. I would also spray some primer (if you sand your current paint off) and wet sand it smooth with 400-600 grit if your surface is rough and uneven. I also see where people will spray plasti dip over existing color/clear with no sanding and it'll hold just fine; seems plasti dip gets it's strength from the dip itself not the adhesion to the surface so much.

But I wouldn't dip my gas tank, plasti dip isn't very chemical resistant and gas will make it lift/dissolve

·
Hot Sauce
210 Posts
If you do dip your tank and it does happen to get a lil gas splashed on it you can go back and LIGHTLY trim out the bad area with a razor and then respray the area. After a few coats it will fill and level it`s self out and almost be unnoticeable. I`ve done this a few times when i feel like mixing the bike up a little bit.

The only problem i have run into was with my jeep, where the dip is covering such a large area and was left for well into a year. Between cold snowy winters and intense 100+ summers i can`t get the plasti to peel off anymore lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts