Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my projects is using a plastic Ducati 1000 Sport tank. To make it fit I have had to cut the tank (too late if you say don't do it).

My question is what is the best DIY plastic tank weld out there and has anyone done this before? I will post up some pictures later.

The tank required the ethanol proofing on the inside as the paint was lifting so I assume that this will protect the weld as well from the damage that can be done?

Cheers!

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Do you have a plastic specialty shop near you? I'd go ask them. I'd think there would be different techniques for different plastics. Any idea what type of plastic it is? It looks like you have a little scrap to practice on so I'd make use of that for sure.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
From the net regarding the expanding tank issue "The tanks that are affected by this problem are reportedly made of PA6 polyamide plastic and were manufactured from 2005 to 2010." Apparently some type of nylon.

Does that tank fall in that year range?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure what plastic it is, it has not expanded but the ethanol has made the paint lift. I will do a DIY job to keep the cost down once I know what plastic weld and steel mesh to use.

Time for a beer, just to help me think!

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Kent Rapid bond. Kent APR range. I'd make sure they bond to nylon, specially if saturated with gasoline/ethanol since the paint is peeling some of it has seeped through and probly still is in the material.

Mike AFAIK all triumphs that has a nylon tank, including mine, are affected by this regardless of the year, specially the mk1 tanks expand so that many has had to elongate the fixing holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts