Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so .... as i was setting up a buddies bike for spring, im going thru it and making sure hes good to go for the season on his new 1000rr (new to him - 04).

anyway..hes got no plate lights, so hes not gonna pass inspection.

well we sell these little plate lights basic thing, little LED bolt, nut on the back. light faces the plate. only problem is theyre pretty dull. so i was gonna run one on each side of the plate, to help light it up proper (he has enough probs with the law as it is in his 700 hp grand national).

soooo...im no wiring/electrical genious. in fact i really dont know much about the technical aspects of electrical work at all. i can connect wires nicely when i figure out whats what. but if you start asking wattages, amperages, and ac or dc current, i may start looking like this :

:confused:

so i just wanna know.

two plate lights = 2+ wires and 2- wires.

do i hook both the (+) together, both (-) together and run em into the factory plug??

or am i way off base???

i dont like doing trial and ERROR on someone elses bike. i dont wanna fry a subharness or something being uneducated.

:wtf:

·
Recent Transplant
2,664 Posts
Do the LED units have a built in resistor or are they just LED bulbs? if they have the resistor built in, you can either run each one separately to the 12V power supply, so each has 1 +, 1 -, or you can run them in series, so the pos terminal of one connects the the pos of the other, and the two grounds are connected to the bike frame or - terminal.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh fuck... i thought electrical work was bad enough. now i have to do math problems too.

:wtf:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so....

i have this:

plate with lights...

plate light wires...

and heres what i want to connect them to..(the factory connector for the plate light)...

anybody? anybodY??

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
i use those cheesy "ricer" hood squirters with the led's built in to light my plate. cheap!! run them in parallel (positives together, negatives together) and it'll be plenty bright enough.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
skr00zloose said:
i use those cheesy "ricer" hood squirters with the led's built in to light my plate. cheap!! run them in parallel (positives together, negatives together) and it'll be plenty bright enough.

y'know....i've heard of people saying that too....so i went and bought a set of those as well.

but...i think i may just keep those around for when my bike needs plate lights.

soooo i'm just gonna strip those wires and connect the two reds together and then that to the positive. (tan w/ white stripe)

then the two blacks together and connect those to the ground (green)

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
18 a set.... light screws are 16 ea. (retail) i get em for probably the same as the ghetoo hood lights.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thx guys. :cfrocks:

problem solved...within like 10 mins too!

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
Yeah nothing bad will happen tying the leads together like you said adam, that's exactly how I wired my turn signals and taillights, and eventually will my plate lights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts