Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't do my frame mods unless I find some 6061 aluminum tubing that's 1 inch x 1 inch and about 1/8 inch thick.

Hard part is finding square tubing with ROUNDED CORNERS.

·
BLACK BELT
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll stop by the local scrap metal shop this week. Zero guarantees though.

How much do you need?
That's awesome. The surface needs to be clean without dings or scratches, though.

I need 2 tubes, 3 feet long - but I'll buy at least 4 tubes to be safe.

I'll post up my plan in the Projects Forum.

Can't do it without the correct size and shape of aluminum.

·
BLACK BELT
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'll have a look tomorrow on my lunch break.

Is it not feasable to have squared edges machined to give them a round edge? Cost prohibitive?
I don't think there would be enough wall thickness left after machining. I guess it depends on the wall construction.

Looking for a radius like the piece in the sample pic.

Trying to get close to the radius on the OEM square tubing.

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
I did just a little searching on this and it seems like "structural" tubing has the rounded corners but "architectural" has the square corners.

At least that may be a start for your search.

Later, Doug

Reactions: shinyribs

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
I did more digging.

Found a place that has 1.25x1.25x.125" rounded corner tubing. I also found a few places with 1x1x0.065" rounded corner tubing.

Not sure if either will work for you. If they will, I'll go back and post links.

Later, Doug

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
While people are hunting I've been having a hell of a time finding some 7/8" tubing with rounded corners so if you happen to spot some of that please post it up.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
While people are hunting I've been having a hell of a time finding some 7/8" tubing with rounded corners so if you happen to spot some of that please post it up.
Wall thickness and length pls!

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Wall thickness and length pls!
Wall thickness can be 1/16"-1/8". Doesn't really matter since I'm more concerned with the outside size and looks. I cant remember length off hand since I was looking into this at the beginning of the year and put the project on hold. To play it safe I'll say 3' long pieces. Probably 4 or more in case I screw something up.

:thumbsup:

I figured if I couldn't find any I would default to using 3/4" tubing with rounded corners and similar thickness. Figured that would be easier to find.

·
BLACK BELT
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately, I don't think 1/16" wall thickness will be strong enough for the frame bracing.

I also found the thinner-walled stock, but haven't found any 1/8" thickness, yet.

Still looking.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
They only had one section with rounded corners but it is over 1". They didn't know where they got it or where to get 1"

Attachments

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,517 Posts

·
BLACK BELT
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alro steel in grand blanc has four pieces listed on their website at 1", 0.125 thickness, 34, 46, and two at 71 inches.

not sure if rounded corners or not, it's listed as structural though. If I can get there during open hours I'll check.

:edit: $45 a piece for the 71 inch ones
Thanks for checking, but it looks like those are listed as "sharp cornered".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts