Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Please Help Me Find This Aluminum

3K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  sebwiers 
#1 ·
Can't do my frame mods unless I find some 6061 aluminum tubing that's 1 inch x 1 inch and about 1/8 inch thick.

Hard part is finding square tubing with ROUNDED CORNERS.

See less See more
#4 ·
That's awesome. The surface needs to be clean without dings or scratches, though.

I need 2 tubes, 3 feet long - but I'll buy at least 4 tubes to be safe.

I'll post up my plan in the Projects Forum.

Can't do it without the correct size and shape of aluminum.

#7 ·
I don't think there would be enough wall thickness left after machining. I guess it depends on the wall construction.

Looking for a radius like the piece in the sample pic.

Trying to get close to the radius on the OEM square tubing.

#8 ·
I did just a little searching on this and it seems like "structural" tubing has the rounded corners but "architectural" has the square corners.

At least that may be a start for your search.

Later, Doug

Reactions: shinyribs
#9 ·
I did more digging.

Found a place that has 1.25x1.25x.125" rounded corner tubing. I also found a few places with 1x1x0.065" rounded corner tubing.

Not sure if either will work for you. If they will, I'll go back and post links.

Later, Doug

#19 ·
#25 ·
Haven't found it in 6061, but found it in 6005 which I think will be okay.

I don't think I'll find 1" x 1" square tubing with the ( larger) radius like the OEM frame.

I might find 2" x 1" with the correct radius and cut it in half to fit, but it would probably have only 1/2 the strength of a full square tube. Also don't know if it could be shaped with a die.

So, just trying to decide which way to go. Will also look for the 2" x 1" x 1/8" rounded edge square tubing.

#26 ·
#31 ·
That's a big radius, are you sure? The round over & ball nose mill ends I use are 0.250" radius, here's what an exactly 1" wide channel cut with a 0.250" radius looks like.

There's only 0.500" of flat between the curves. At that point, they might as well just use round tube, because the joints are gonna need special miters anyhow. I'd bet the radius on your tubing is closer to 0.125" (or less), leaving 0.750" (or more) of flat. For a 0.125" wall, you could do straight cuts and fill the gaps with weld easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.