Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't exactly sure where to ask this since it's cosmetic question regarding a function brake part lol.

Anyway, so after I buffed and polished the ends of my brake lines down to shiny brass I found myself wishing the rest of the lines were now black...or at least smoked.

The OE lines on the duck are braided stainless wrapped inside a plastic sheath, like galfer/speigler/etc.

The question here is does anyone know of a dye that is safe to use on this outer cover and is the plastic it's made from even permeable enough to take a dye? It would be really fuckin' sweet to have black lines with mirror finish polished brass ends and black banjo bolts.....just sayin'

G

·
Are the ends of the lines removable like Goodridge ones or swaged like Hel ?

if you can remove the ends you should be able to get some heat shrink over them easy enough, I say this as I'm not sure dying the lines is a good idea in case you contaminate the lines & fluid

·
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the dye wouldn't be going inside the lines. They are a three piecee structure similar to most aftermarket lines. Inner lining, braided stanless cover and protective top plastic outer coating. It is the outer most plastic coating that would be getting dyed and I wouldn't suspect that dye would permeate all the way through the entire outer lining anyway.

Also no, the ends are crimped and not removable as I had already considered the heat shrink idea.

I have found several black plastic dyes designed to refinish flexible hard plastics like bumpers and interior trim pieces. I have a few spare sections of brake line floating around I can try it on. If it works I'll toss up some pics.

·
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn'twant it to look like iI coated them though ya know. I'm picking up a dye kit on my way home from the local auto store. Will try it on a a junky line I have first.

So apparently RIT dye for stuff like fabrics will aso work on plastic if used in hot water apparently. Might give this a try. Will probably seal the ends with shrink tube and electrical tape to prevent dye getting on the brass or in the lines. Should just have to submerge them in hot water for a while with the dye mixed in and it will seep into the plastic.

I think I'll give this a try. As long as the ends are sealed and covered I'm not worried about the lines themselves. I'm thinking this is the best way I've seen, especially as I kind of what a semi transparent look sort of smoked if you will so you can still see the braided stainless inside. Will update once i sort exactly how to do this right, along with results from a test line.

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
I used Rit on my Ducati plastics to change them from that shitty green colour to black:

Simmering water for a couple of hours. Faded a little now after a year and a half of living out doors but still look pretty good.

·
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought some Rit black dye last night and left a test line sitting in the bucket full of piping hot water and dye for 45 minutes and all I ended up with was a wet brake line lol.

The out plastic sheath is just not pourose enough to take a dye unfortunately. Shit, even the PVC bucket I had it in was bleach white after I rinsed it out.

I also tried the paint method with some etching primer hoping the acidity of the paint would bite into the plastic. Covered well and looked great and didn't crack when flexed but....you could still scrape it right off with your fingernail so that wouldn't work either.

I guess I'll just have to deal with the ugly OE lines till I have enough spare fu cash to snag some nice black ones. Oh well, least I tried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts