Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I'm upgrading my CBX to bigger/better brakes. The 310mm rotors are on my Boomerang wheels now and I'm pleased with how they look, and excited about how they should work once everything else is sorted out.

But I've run into a bit of a bind... The calipers I was intending to use are Brembo 65mm axial-mount 4-piston calipers, and they're a few mm too wide. :( I need 2mm more clearance between the caliper and the wheel. There is no room to move the rotors farther outboard.

Does anyone have suggestions for an OEM axial 4-piston caliper that is more likely to clear my wheel? It looks like there are some aftermarket options, but I'm really not keen on dropping $1500+ on calipers...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you move the calipers in more?
Maybe I wasn't clear in my description - the calipers I wanted to use are too wide - when they're centered on the rotor, they interfere with the wheel. I'm not sure what you mean by moving them "in" more, but there's no room to move them inboard (due to lack of clearance with the wheel, which is the problem), or outboard (since there's already very little clearance between the rotor and the fork leg).

Ducati had 65mm 4 piston axial after 1999 or so on at least the SBK maybe others. I can measure if ya like.
Yes, that's what I have, and they're too wide. I'm looking for a narrow option.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Can't just shave the back of the caliper? 2mm isn't that much material...

I got a an R6 blue dot kicking around, let me know where you want me to measure it and I'll toss some numbers up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't just shave the back of the caliper? 2mm isn't that much material...
That was the original plan, but on the Brembo caliper there just isn't enough material there to take anything off.

I got a an R6 blue dot kicking around, let me know where you want me to measure it and I'll toss some numbers up.
Thanks, I've already looked into that and it's even wider.

The Brembo billet caliper would fit fine:

But it really doesn't fit my budget. Billet calipers from Performance Machine and Wilwood would fit, but they're pitched at Harley stuff so I have a hard time believing that they'd be better than a 2-piston Brembo setup.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Maby you can find another set of triples that are a bit wider. If there is a stock set that happens to be the 4 or 5 mm extra you need they should be pretty cheap.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
This is a 4 piston caliper from a zx7r I have. Measure about 1.54"

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maby you can find another set of triples that are a bit wider. If there is a stock set that happens to be the 4 or 5 mm extra you need they should be pretty cheap.
I already had custom triples machined. We went with stock width because it let me use a SuperBrace fork brace, and the machinist thought that the calipers I supplied should fit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is a 4 piston caliper from a zx7r I have. Measure about 1.54"
Thank you very much. It looks like our available space is just 38mm - lots of billet calipers fit, but I really would prefer to find something less pricey. Thanks again for your help.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
Well its looking like you may have to settle for the Harley calipers :p I wouldn't think they are all that bad, I mean geez they stop a 6,7,800 pound bike with one brake anyways.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well its looking like you may have to settle for the Harley calipers :p I wouldn't think they are all that bad, I mean geez they stop a 6,7,800 pound bike with one brake anyways.
On one hand there's that - but on the other hand, I just don't know what to make of the Harley stuff - so many of those guys have no fucking idea what brakes even do.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,382 Posts
On one hand there's that - but on the other hand, I just don't know what to make of the Harley stuff - so many of those guys have no fucking idea what brakes even do.
V twin engine breaking FTMFW

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a hard time taking brake advice from guys who say shit like "I had to lay it down", or "don't use the front brake unless you wanna go over the handlebars".

Still, these Jaybrake 6-pot calipers look like they might be a good compromise between the high-dollar billet Brembos and the cheaper Wilwood stuff, and they look better to me than the PM 6-pots (they're about the same price).

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
It's not what you asked, but you could save a ton of coin by fitting sliding calipers, perhaps just as a temp fix.

If you can make it fit 330mm discs from a 929rr that might get you out far enough to the thin end of the wedge so your brembos will work?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why go for Harley parts? Give these guys a call http://www.isrbrakes.se/products/calipers/. Their stuff is so good nascar oulawed calipers whith individual pads on each piston..
Thanks very much for the pointer. I've seen ISR stuff before but hadn't included it in my research this time. Those are some badass-looking brakes.

The Jaybrake stuff looks good and should stop OK. It's not too wide, but the mount would require a wonky/ugly adapter, so it's been eliminated.

I think I'm gonna just go ahead and get the Brembo billet calipers. The more research I do, the more I like the thought of those sessy brakes on my bike.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not what you asked, but you could save a ton of coin by fitting sliding calipers, perhaps just as a temp fix.

If you can make it fit 330mm discs from a 929rr that might get you out far enough to the thin end of the wedge so your brembos will work?
Rotors have already been fitted. I went with 310mm rotors off a 2007 GSX-R1000 - I chose those rotors because they don't hide my wheels:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I haven't had a debrief from the machinist just yet, but he scored some other calipers (which I assumed were 40mm cast) that he measured up and said would fit. Then he sent me these photos of those calipers in place:

And that's a 65mm mount. So now I'm wondering if the different years/flavors of the 65mm calipers (which I thought were all interchangeable) have different outer dimensions. For the price he got, I know that these aren't the later 4-pad calipers, and they aren't the 2-piston calipers. I'm looking forward to having everything wrapped up, and taking some measurements of these mystery calipers side-by-side with the ones I provided.

·
Super Moderator
3,049 Posts
Looks like 2000+ Ducati Monster 750/900 calipers to me. Might be a good place to start researching.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like 2000+ Ducati Monster 750/900 calipers to me. Might be a good place to start researching.

Later, Doug
Thanks for the pointer.

No more research required, that's a picture of my bike. :) He said that they're ~2mm narrower than the ones I supplied (65mm calipers of unknown provenance).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts