Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Northern Neighbour
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went out and bought that F-ing Mothers Power Ball...and the polishing crap that suppose to bring out a vibrant shine in my polished frame and swingarm.

....I spent the better part of 2 hours polishing the right side of the bike (I'm anal and like to compare).

Originally the frame/swingarm was like a mirror, it hurt your eyes to look at it in the sun....I did leave it on my patio uncovered for a few weeks...dew/condensation/rain dripped and made my nice polished shine into something a little spotty.

I spent $50 on this polishing shit, and the results are dubious. I can see a little more shine, but the original shine is not there.

Now, the directions say to power ball the goo on low, let it set (apparently it goes dark coloured...but it didn't for me.....?) and then giver shit with power ball on full speed.

Like i said the goo never went "black" or "dark"....looked like car wax if you ask me...went on, stayed the same colour and came off like a wax would.

Am i half retarded or does this shit just not work for this type of aluminum stain? . . . if not, PowerBall for sale...cheap. :D

Thanks guys.

·
Strassenkämpfer for life
1,813 Posts
I polished only one frame but as far as I know you need speed to heat up the wax first before put it on the frame
even the white wax will get dark after a while
but for your job I would prefer a buffing wheel on high speed with white wax
you just want to bring back the shine not repolishing the hole frame

...go for a angle grinder with a buffing wheel and dump that freaking Power Ball

·
FUTURE GURU
1,265 Posts
A lot of aluminum from the factory has a clear coat on it that must be removed before you can polish it, it has to be taken off with some sort of solvent ...but beware:fire:If that is the case with your frame ...be ready to have to polish it aall the time to keep that purty shine:D

·
Northern Neighbour
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shit sorry dudes, shoulda been more clear.... it was all professionally polished already...it's just showing wear and just a little spotty now...need to bring back the shine. That's all.

the cordless drill i was using was a 9.6 V..... are you saying i would need like 14V? or something faster.... angle grinder will be hard for me to come by...unless i buy one and return it....hmmmmm....

·
98 Posts
never used powerball - mothers is good for stainless and stuff and generally cleaning the metal up but mothers with the powerball wont give you that mirror shine your looking for.

white clay with buffer would work well, or there is some jewelery polish (forgot the name) but its basically same as the clay in liquid form. I would recommend buffing over drill though, what RPM does your dril operate at?

·
Build It Ride It Live It
10,684 Posts
I'd say, go get a small can of the regular mothers aluminum polish and some rags and hit a spot by hand. See if that brings it back. That always works for me. If it's oxidised that much then you may have to go back to a buffing wheel and some rouge.

BTW, if you get a chance, snap a pic or 2 of how it looks now. Let's see what kind of shape it's in.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Use your arm. That ball you paid for is nothing more then what it looks like. A frilly lame ball.

Get some towels and some polish and rub that shit in like a man. lol You need the friction for force to make that polish come back.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
:ttiwwop:

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,146 Posts
yeah your cordless isnt fast enough, I use a air die grinder and 3 inch polishing mops and it works great, I used on a clutch case I beadblasted the black paint off and it came up like a mirror

1 - 9 of 9 Posts