Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I haven't been on here in a few years. So the story is back when I had my Z1k I always wanted to do things to it but it was my only bike so I could not commit to going all out.

So anyways I sold that back and have been riding an F4i.

The other day I was on facebook and saw a pic of an orange 900RR someone posted. And thought "THATS IT! I AM GOING TO TRY TO BUILD A FIGHTER AGAIN!!!!"

Sooo, a week later I purchased this bike. I was intending to get a project bike and not pay too much.

I got a 96' 900RR with 20k miles (rough) that has been down. The main issue seems to be the front end. Which I was planning on replacing anyways.

The main thing right now is the fact that the bike had no key. I managed to wire up one of my spare F4i Ignitions tonight and the speedo seems to be turning on. (the speedo is destroyed as well lol)

Tomorrow I will try to bypass the ignition switch since it is destroyed and try to start the bike.

If the engine is in tact and works I will finally start my build, if it doesn't I will evaluate what I want to do.

I have high hopes that it will start though.

Oh and the reason I am/was willing to take this bike with its condition is that it was only $400.

Anyways here is a pic of the bike now.

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So tonight I went through and got the bike to finally start.

I wired up a spare F4i ignition for now. (we will see if I want to keep it) I also created my own ignition switch since the original was destroyed. Anyways. after pouring some gas into it the bike roared! I am excited to officially start the build!!! Now to the planning process.

Since the bike needs a new front end I was thinking of putting a 600RR front end. Does anyone know if the triples/stem is a direct swap?

Here is the bike as it currently sits in the garage.

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, plus the whole front end is destroyed so it needs to be swapped no matter what. I will have to get in and see what is salvageable.

After further investigation I am also on a hunt for a new radiator. I think a 954 radiator should fit pretty smoothly.

P.S. I am very new to this so any input any one has is very appreciated! :)

·
I bang metal
2,779 Posts
good to see you back around these parts. I love the 900rr and imo its one of the best platforms for a fighter. I really can not wait to see what you do with it.

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Deathmetaldan, I hope to stick around this time as I don't plan on selling this bike! lol

So anyways, I am trying to clear my schedule and start work on this bike soon, but last night I started playing with the idea of heelguards. I am unsure if I want to try something different or go with brass knuckles. But here is a rough concept I created. First impressions I think they are too small?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I would try to get cbr1000rr or any thing off a 1k over a 600 just because the 600 forks will need to have heavier springs and re-valved for the weight of the 900rr. Look up the weight of the 900rr compared to the 600rr

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would try to get cbr1000rr or any thing off a 1k over a 600 just because the 600 forks will need to have heavier springs and re-valved for the weight of the 900rr. Look up the weight of the 900rr compared to the 600rr
Is the 1000RR a straight bolt on like the 600rr front end? I would probably need the full front end right? Forks/rim/rotors/brakes/triples/stem?

And would I need 1000RR races as well?

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
yeah man polish those bits. you polishing the frame?

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah man polish those bits. you polishing the frame?
Yea the frame has been polished before but it seems to have faded for most part so I have to do it again. Only sad part is when the guy crashed he put a ding into the frame. That will really show. :(

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am planning on re-doing the wiring harness and removing wires that I don't need/ won't use. After studying the wire diagram in the service manual I decided to re-create it for myself in a full color version. I finally got around to finishing it.

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mind sharing a full res version of that? I can pm you my email...
Not at all Speed. I was going to upload the full res .PDF for everyone to have. I created this to not only help myself but everyone else as well! :)

I ran into a little issue. I am re-working my wire harness because previous owner raped it lol.

Anyways, I am trying to get my blinkers to work but for some reason they won't blink. I am unsure if maybe it is a relay issue or I am not getting the wiring correct.

here is a zoomed shot of the wire diagram showing how the blinker works.

I connected the LB/W wire to the light and the G (which is ground) to it as well. It just glows solid. I tried other variations but it won't blink.

The light only has 2 wires as well, whereas the diagram shows 3. Note that it is an LED light .

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
You probably need a resistor on the positive lead... Not sure what kind but a google search would help. I had the same issue with my front signals (solid but really dim) until I hooked up a R6 rear light and the system evened itself out.

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Taylor, I had that same thought. I will have to try to finish the circuit and connect the rest of the blinkers and see if that resolves the issue.

So I had a busy weekend with wires though. As mentioned before the bikes wiring condition was horrid. Just about every single wire was cut and electric taped, there were others torn apart, etc,etc. So I spent this weekend going through and sorting everything out.

I re-did the wires that were damaged, layed out everything and untangled the huge clutter. And then re-wrapped everything in sections and as a unit to keep everything organized and clean. And lastly relocated the entire clutter of wires to make sure the front of the bike is clean. I have yet to install all the controls as I need to purchase or make those, but for now here is what it looks like.

Before:

After:

Wires hidden in frame:

·
Cbr 900 -97
204 Posts
Nice were are you hoinh to upload the fullres of this?
very useful for us blade owners:)

I am planning on re-doing the wiring harness and removing wires that I don't need/ won't use. After studying the wire diagram in the service manual I decided to re-create it for myself in a full color version. I finally got around to finishing it.

·
www.poltart.com
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today I got some new parts in the mail.

I am still trying to figure out the blinker issue though. I added resisters and still no luck. . . I might have to put this issue on hold and figure it out later on.

On a side note. Does anyone know who can make/sell some beefy triples for the 929 forks?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts