Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Operation Sketchy At Best
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gents basically here is my dilemma, i had that 04 gsxr 750 sold and got a 03 z1000. I loved the speed and handleing of the gsxr but the z had it on comfort but wasnt impressed with the performance.

I am looking at a 06 speed triple 1050 for $5600, so my question is will i actually like the triple or is it same as the Z?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Isn't that priced a little high for an 06? I only ever rode a speed triple once, it was fast, very fast. But it's still a naked bike with dirt bars so u aren't gonna be scraping elbow.

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
A 1050 S3 is a big upgrade over 0a first gen Z. Might not be more powerful but better suspension, better brakes, better motor.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
id say if you weren't impressed with the power of the z you probably wouldn't like the power of the 1050 either. they're both in the same niche of the market and bike that fall into that category tend to be neutered on the top end.
if your really looking for the comfort of the z but the power of the zx10 then maby you could swap over to the zx10 stuff that they changed to give it that gruntier bottom end. like cams, tb, ecu tune. im not familiar with the differences between the z1k and the zx10 motors are but its usually not much.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
id say if you weren't impressed with the power of the z you probably wouldn't like the power of the 1050 either. they're both in the same niche of the market and bike that fall into that category tend to be neutered on the top end.
if your really looking for the comfort of the z but the power of the zx10 then maby you could swap over to the zx10 stuff that they changed to give it that gruntier bottom end. like cams, tb, ecu tune. im not familiar with the differences between the z1k and the zx10 motors are but its usually not much.
Completely different motors. It's the older zx9 models stuff that will work on the z. Cams, exhaust and carbs swap from a zx9 motor will do wonders from what I read when I had the z.

Or swap a whole zx10 motor, been done ;)

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
U find a zx10 motor cheap enough that's the way I would go...
I keep stealing madmans zx10r. It's a blast to ride...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had a 2005 speed triple for about a year and put 20,000ks on it. I bought it after writing off my gsxr 711. Not sure if there are any differences between 05 and 06, maybe the forks changed to black.
The triple motor is a fucking great street motor (I have an mt09 and my Vfr fighter at the moment). It doesn't have the top end of the Gixxer 750, but what it does have (unlike the z1000) is a monster bottom end and midrange. It reminded me a bit of my 1200cc 711, but without the top end rush.
I only sold ten speed triple because there was nothing I wanted to change, apart from new bars and a radial MC. It already had and amazing sounding M4 can.
Sold it and got the Vfr fighter project and a drz400Sm as a commuter. A couple more trades and the MT is now the commuter.
If you are looking for top end rush, it's not the speed triple. If you are looking for a bike with grunt, it's the one you want.
As you can tell, I love triples as street motors. Although they do make me do wheelies from every set of traffic lights.

·
Operation Sketchy At Best
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for the price yeah I wouldn't give them the full asking price. Ok then yeah I do like the ability of a screaming top end so the triple is prolly gonna nixed.

·
we are 138
6,063 Posts
I got a set of Zx9 cams springs and caps if you're interested. Just need the ign module to stretch the revs.
I lost interest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts