Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone has a collection of bikes that they keep for potential future profit? Or any bike you think might become collectible in the future. I've been looking at a couple '88 gsxr 750/1100's and a few 893 fireblades with the sole intent of keeping them stock and holding into them for possible profit in the future.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I found a 88 gsxr 50 that was in good condition for $1500 I almost bought it just for that purpose clean it up and put it in my living room for future profit

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i hate bike "collecting" its a stupid concept. ride!!!! :rock:
I'd still definitely like to ride them now and again, but I have my fz1 as my everyday bike. Plus if I manage to make a few bucks I might be able to afford my dream fighter/s (rc8 and cross plane r1) in a decade or 3.

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
collectables would be like ducati supermono,r7, gsxrr

900 blades and oil cooled suzukis are the most tuneable bikes on the road, mass production bikes don't usually fetch insane money.

ive got a 1985 700 virago for sale. its factory mint, potential collectors item if you wanna buy it i'll give you a good deal.

Reactions: gsf1200R

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
i collect parts like a mofo...its borderline hoarding.
ask jackstand about my pile of parts

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
collectables would be like ducati supermono,r7, gsxrr

900 blades and oil cooled suzukis are the most tuneable bikes on the road, mass production bikes don't usually fetch insane money.

ive got a 1985 700 virago for sale. its factory mint, potential collectors item if you wanna buy it i'll give you a good deal.
The reason I'm into the early blade/gixxer is that They're relatively rare here in Australia. Not to mention that all the new super sports can trace their DNA back to the 80's, kinda like a "this is where it started" collection.

Thanks but no thanks on the virago, shipping to oz would cost more than the bike haha

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
The reason I'm into the early blade/gixxer is that They're relatively rare here in Australia. Not to mention that all the new super sports can trace their DNA back to the 80's, kinda like a "this is where it started" collection.

Thanks but no thanks on the virago, shipping to oz would cost more than the bike haha

That explains why I was thinking to myself earlier, "Who the hell would want a 893 'blade for keepin' and not riding much??", totally get it now.

I would be looking into low mileage bikes and buying up ultra cheap NOS parts for the era's you are intending on collecting a few from. I actually have a few NOS parts that are not easy to find for the old ZX600A's. Know a guy with a bit of that stuff for older Kawasaki 900 and 1000 engines. There isn't any real measure of money in it, but there is alot of personal satisfaction having a small collection of hard to find bikes and parts. :)

·
"Fuck yo couch" -Socrates
1,010 Posts
I guess my Ducati 748R could in some obscure sense be considered a collectible. Not so much stock mechanically as many of the go fast parts it came with went on the bike during it's restoration. It is pretty rare, but it'll never fetch Original 916SPS or 996R money so from a collectors stand point I'm not holding my breath and will probably sell in the next year or so.

I never got the parts collecting thing though. Just seemed a wast to have parts sitting around not making me money or making my bikes go faster....just me I guess :D

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
I picked up a set of Speigler full floating iron rotors for a Ducati Corse wheel as they are awesome. I'll probably never use them but again, they are awesome.

I like having a variety of parts available when I actually decide to do work :D

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I think part "collecting" Is just being lazy.

Either too lazy to do work to use them, or too lazy to advertise to sell them.

I collect a lotta parts :D

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
I strongly believe in bike collecting. Someone has to preserve these bikes. Theyre a huge part of our history and culture. That GSX-R50 would have been a great collectors piece. If you are gonna collect though I say do not EVER ride them. Just start them up from time to time OR drain all the fluids, keep the tires off the ground and make sure no rust collects in the tank etc.

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
JJ, I do agree to an extent, but there is a big part of me that feels there is museums and such for that sort of thing. Personal collections go a level above and should in my idea be ridden a little even if for very special occasions. That is, unless, you can get one in brand new condition with all the stickers intact and even better yet a bike still in the crate. Heard of a few of those over the years. But if it's had a few miles on it, why not add a few more.

I have a very iconic van from the late 70's with less than 25k on it, there is a part of me afraid to break the 25,000 mile marker, but there is a bigger part of me that says, fuck it, it's already there. Tis a very personal opinion on the matter, that is for sure.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I am talking with the guy with gsxr50 I might buy I can get it for a great price has some scratches on the tail but runs and rides. Only 5hp at 7k but it's in great shape for being a 87

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
JJ, I do agree to an extent, but there is a big part of me that feels there is museums and such for that sort of thing. Personal collections go a level above and should in my idea be ridden a little even if for very special occasions. That is, unless, you can get one in brand new condition with all the stickers intact and even better yet a bike still in the crate. Heard of a few of those over the years. But if it's had a few miles on it, why not add a few more.

I have a very iconic van from the late 70's with less than 25k on it, there is a part of me afraid to break the 25,000 mile marker, but there is a bigger part of me that says, fuck it, it's already there. Tis a very personal opinion on the matter, that is for sure.

I know a guy a who bought 2 cbxs in the early 80s 1 he has ridden to Alaska and back the other he never opened the crate. It's never seen oil gas or road. He just turned down 40k for it.

If I buy the gsxr50 I'll teach my wife to use a clutch and repair/replace the tail fairing and stickers then ride to store to grab smokes once a week or so just to keep it fresh and maybe in 2017 when it's 30 years old I'll sell it if I can get the right money . Other wise I'll hold into it for a little while longer or teach my kids how to ride on the street on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts