Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to change the color of my wheels. i want to paint my rims red. what are the pros and cons to Powder Coat rather than paint?

i figure the only chance of damage to the paint would be during the tire change process. would powder coating be more resistant to damage?

thanks chum...........p!

·
Buy all my shit!
6,042 Posts
You CANT chip, or scratch powdercoat, and it wont fade as long as the clear over the metalic colors. Id take powdercoat on my rims anyday of the week over paint.

One of the bikes I just finished last season.. the owner took some needle nose vice grips and tried to scratch his frame to prove a point to someone who didnt believe it.. It never scratched

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
mine will not scrath like go to bare metal. but it will leave fine scratches you can see in daylight. like rubbing sand on a car. but powder over paint anyday. my new gas tank on my bandit is powdercoated black.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,666 Posts
+1

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
thats the problem on my bandit. i cut off the lower legs and filled them in with mild steel strip and bondoed the corners

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
hack
729 Posts
The only reason NOT to use powdercoating on a bike frame is if you plan to "mold" the welds in order to hide them and achieve a cleaner look. This is typically done with bondo which pc will not stick to.
I heard someone on here say you can use JBweld, that its safe for powdercoat. I wish I had known that when I screwed with my subframe. I welded and ground, welded and ground, welded and ground. maybe would have been easier to fill voids if I sucked less. oh well, learn from my mistake. oh yeah powdercoat. if you plan on taking it apart (all rubber and bearings removed) then just do it, it costs more now, but it only costs once. I dont know about being scratch proof though. I had a little overspray and I was able to take it right off with a dremel tool. had to use a grinding stone though, wire brush wouldnt do it.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Powder Coat will wear. Just not as quickly.

Paint depends. What kind of paint?

Are you talking about spraying a base coat/ clear coat over primer? Or spray paint?

Spray paint is usually junk, IMHO.

·
98 Posts
powder coat is paint, just in powder form not liquid. Podercoat itself is not greater than a high quality urethane paint, but because of the high temps its usually cooked at, it bonds greater to the surface and usually is tougher - it also fills in surface imperfections better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts