Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so check this shit out, I found a toaster oven for a song at a garage sale; I know you're all probably saying "beef this forum isn't about making toast" well damn no it aint! I'm gonna powdercoat my engine covers same candy teal as my rims!

But before all that I've got a few questions about prepping the covers for the inferno of the oven. Such as... Will the sight glass in the clutch cover survive the heat? Should I remove the clutch release in the sprocket cover? It looks like all metal from looking at it but I'm not too sure.

its part #22 in this here diagramattical picture http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3bf74f870021958f27147/clutch

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Clutch actuator should be fine, as far as the glass some people freak out about it but I have done a few covers with them in and it has always been just fine. But if you want to remove yours I do believe its just a snap ring on the inside of the cover.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
I took the sight glass out of my SV cover when I did it. I don't think it had a snap ring. I shaved a wooden dowel down to the same size and hammered it out. Used a little RTV when I put it back in. Worked perfect.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome then the sight glass cant be anything difficult to remove/replace. Not sure whether it's circlipped on or not, it does have a metal doolopper (guard?) on the side in the engine.

Also what would yall say to making the covers base coat duller/glossier? The rims have a chrome-like powdercoat beneath the transparent teal which makes them seriously shine, I'm feeling a little less sheen for the covers but then I think of how engine covers are serious eye grabbers on a lot of bikes

Edit: Here's the rims for a reference

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
I removed the clutch release shaft and bearings. The bearings should be all steel, but I removed them just in case. The oil will run when heat it turned up, which will ruin the coating job if it gets to it. Also, I didn't want any sand blasting media to get lodged in the bearings or stray powder to get baked on them.

Here's a bearing removal/installer tool you can make for about $10. If you have any questions, just ask.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84754

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I removed the clutch release shaft and bearings. The bearings should be all steel, but I removed them just in case. The oil will run when heat it turned up, which will ruin the coating job if it gets to it. Also, I didn't want any sand blasting media to get lodged in the bearings or stray powder to get baked on them.

Here's a bearing removal/installer tool you can make for about $10. If you have any questions, just ask.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84754
Nice work, very intuitive; thanks. I'll definitely keep it in mind

I did mine in high gloss black. They looked really good, but I think I would have like a stain/eggshell finish better. To each their own.
That's what I'm feelin, a pearlish finish would be a great touch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts