Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...im gettin near ready to drop all my shit off at the powdercoaters, but the more i talk about it with people, the more it seems like a bad idea.

if i do my forks:

some people said my upper fork tube could expand and crack the powdercoat (???not sure about that???)

and when i go to mount them into the tripple, they will get scratched for sure (pretty sure about that)

another person mentiond somthing about the motor gettin too hot to do my frame powdercoat...that sounds like some BS to me.

can anyone offer some insight to what i can and cannot do powdercoated????

i dont know enough about it to know how it will stand up to dif. temps, surfaces, scratches etc..

·
Registered
83 Posts
if i do my forks:

some people said my upper fork tube could expand and crack the powdercoat (???not sure about that???)
huh? never heard of that before, anyone know? I'm curious too.

and when i go to mount them into the tripple, they will get scratched for sure (pretty sure about that)
yea they will!

another person mentiond somthing about the motor gettin too hot to do my frame powdercoat...that sounds like some BS to me.
:bsflag:
i highly doubt that. I mean, if they used the wrong stuff, I guess so, but any respectable shop wouldn't even let you do it if they didn't think it would be ok, cuz you'd just be back a week later compaining.

I'm no pro at this stuff, but I always thought powder coating was able to withstand insane temps, people powder coat headers in cars, and those get up to 1500 degrees easily. The only thing I know that you really have to worry about is certain chemicals: (battery acids, acetone-based solvents, carburetor cleaners, contact cleaners, and brake fluid) will all partially dissolve powder coating.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
people powder coat headers in cars, and those get up to 1500 degrees easily
ding ding ding! We have a winner! That is very true, although I believe they use different chemicals and a different process to do it to high temp parts, so I'd just make sure the shop know that it needs to withstand high heat. Now, if you say that to them, and they look at you with a dumb look on their face, and say, "oh.....really? I didn't know that...." Then don't do it there! LOL! They really should know all of this stuff, so your best bet is to give them a call or something.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i would annodize your fork tubes...PC is thick and could cause you problems...you could also just powder coat from the bottom triple all the way down...and leave the rest as is...

if your fork tubes are expanding and your motor is getting hot enough to effect the PC on the frame then you have more to worry about then the powder coating..lol

i have a little experience with this stuff..i did all the PC'ing on my bike...there are 2 types of powder coating. regular and high temp....high temp is for motors and exhausts...regular for everything else. Regular is fine for everything you are doing...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ab420 said:
ding ding ding! We have a winner! That is very true, although I believe they use different chemicals and a different process to do it to high temp parts, so I'd just make sure the shop know that it needs to withstand high heat. Now, if you say that to them, and they look at you with a dumb look on their face, and say, "oh.....really? I didn't know that...." Then don't do it there! LOL! They really should know all of this stuff, so your best bet is to give them a call or something.
from my understanding it is only the powder....i was going to do my exh flat black and looked into it ..but decided not too... I do not think he needs any high temp stuff...

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
powder coat from the bottom triple all the way down...and leave the rest as is...
ooh, good idea!

there are 2 types of powder coating. regular and high temp....high temp is for motors and exhausts...regular for everything else. Regular is fine for everything you are doing...
aaah! good info!

if your fork tubes are expanding and your motor is getting hot enough to effect the PC on the frame then you have more to worry about then the powder coating..lol
+1!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BigRed875 said:
i have a little experience with this stuff..i did all the PC'ing on my bike...there are 2 types of powder coating. regular and high temp....high temp is for motors and exhausts...regular for everything else. Regular is fine for everything you are doing...
what??

so you wanna do an instructional course with me and PC my bike??:yeah:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
lol..sure if you have the equipment..i'm not a pro and messed up a couple times. It is NOT fun getting this shit off...but aircraft striper works great...taste good too

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BigRed875 said:
lol..sure if you have the equipment..i'm not a pro and messed up a couple times. It is NOT fun getting this shit off...but aircraft striper works great...taste good too
so basically NO?

cuz i have a ton of shit to do, and dont even know what equipment id need. :yeah:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
all you need is the gun, compressor and an oven really...the oven is the most expensive part...esp if you want to do bigger parts...

i used a beat up old one that someone was throwing away....

it is an art like with painting...plus i am very particular so if they weren't perfect I re did them..

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BigRed875 said:
plus i am very particular so if they weren't perfect I re did them..
+1 i hear ya buddy.

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed875
plus i am very particular so if they weren't perfect I re did them..

+1 i hear ya buddy.
Ya have to be! You got everything apart, if you don't do it then, you'll put the whole bike back together, ride it once or twice, and it will bother you the whole time, until you bring it home, break it all down again and redo it! LOL!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okay.

so i am on the fence about doing this now, since people told me that what i can do is more limited than i initially thought.

i really wanted to do the fork tubes, but everyone says it will get fucked up when i try to re-install them. Those tubes will stick out like a sore thumb if everything else is powdercoated black.

i have to figure out somthing quick. i went this far with the bike i dont want to just put it back together stock!

help! :bawling:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
anodize them black or powder coat the bottom haves...or polish them...or leave them alone..they are the forks..lol :bigred:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:bsmeter:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cmon now!

ive seen bikes with powdercoated forks...and ive seen em without, when everything else was done. and it looked stupid.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
then powder coat them and just becareful installing them..if you take your time it will be fine.... you can wet sand and buff it if needed...and they will most certainly NOT expand

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
woo hooo! i got the answer i wanted!

im off to the powdercoaters, see ya!

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts