Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Pre-Div XJ600 Project.

15K views 70 replies 15 participants last post by  CraZKenE13 
#1 ·
Hello Guys/Girls.

Ive been wanting a big bike for a while after passing my test, so here I am...

I Purchased a 1989 Yamaha xj 600 for £150 with a months tax.
It runs but has several issues:

Gear problems (apparently neutral is hard to find),
It needs a new rear Tyre,
Calipers need rebuilding,
Indicators need sorting and a lot more.
Hopefully you will enjoy this and possibly be able to help me.

#11 ·
Ahhhh no ..... I'm gonna go cry :thumbsup:

nah but seriously If anybody could give me some ideas or know of any fairly straight swaps for it let me know.

I'm planning on ripping it apart when i get back from France in 3 weeks and cleaning/modifying/polishing and or painting every piece.

I did want to flat tracker it but Its going fighter.

anybody In England got a complete tail? swing-arm and wheel setup or fork swap they want to sell ?

This is the 72bhp model with no restrictions.... after this year model it dropped to 50bhp.
what else can i do to squeeze more juice out-of it?

#13 ·
Haha.. my mistake.

I assumed It was a period sports pipe, seeing as i hadn't been born when it was produced ;)

A 600 Is quite big relative to the last thing i rode, a Gilera sc 125 2 stroke with a racing Anthea 180 kit fitted. :robssmilie:

Cheers.

#14 ·
Where you at with this thing?

#15 ·
Its still sitting as it was left at home on the driveway covered up, when I get home from uni in the summer Its going to get a full rebuild :D

I should have an Aprillia rs125 tail, panels and seat to fit on to it.

I was toying with the idea of fitting the single sided swing arm and and forks from the rs125 to it but I doubt it could cope with the weight and power.

#16 ·
Hey guys!

I'm back home for Easter for 3 weeks!

Pulled all the crap off as soon as I got back...and wow it looks like a POS!

Looks like all my starting issues were wiring related... It looks sooo hacked up with block connectors and tape everywhere!

so the plan is to strip down and start from scratch replacing pretty much everything.... I'm planning on buying a welder pretty soon and getting a 898 tail on it and a cb1000 tank. ( most likely a race tail due to price).

#20 ·
So I thought this was the mad 'doing work' period? 3 weeks means we pretty much want it done by the end! :D

Reactions: rex_saugerty
#21 ·
Sorry guys.. :oops:

apparently this "mad" amount of work didn't happen.. due to the usual..money and other things getting in the way.

my promised tail and tank have vanished from the face of the planet..so back to the drawing board on that one..

the joys of doing it at your parents house.
gotta clear out space to rebuild the lump first....
( not that I have ever done a big 4 stroke)

It will get done....eventually... If anybody has any parts i may be interested in...front end/rear end swaps,headlights tails In east Sussex, UK let me know.

#25 ·
Back From UNI!

moved the Xj-600 down a flight of stairs... closer to the power tools! ;)

Oil removed!
Clutch and throttle disconnected!
Chain cut off!
Oil filter and cooler removed!

all of the engine mounts have been loosened apart from one that snapped, Its seized in the frame and engine mount pretty firmly so that sucker needs to be drilled out.. Then the engine should be free :D

I bet it weighs a lot! what's the best way to move it once its out?

#26 ·
With your hands, not bending at the knees. Lift with your back!!

Err.. actually, there's some neat roller platforms you can find at hardware stores usualy. A buddy of mine was too lazy
to go pick one up so he rolled his around on 2 skateboards.

What do you mean by 'moving around' anywho?

Reactions: DUNCAN
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.