Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figured throw my bike into the mix. It started out as a mangled 2002 ZX-6R when I bought it over 2 years ago, and I've since done my best to make it a presentable piece of machinery.

A little backstory. Here's what I started with:

The bike was filthy, had a dent in the frame the size of my fist, and needed some maintenance done. It also needed my own touch to it. It was stripped down to the frame and painted black.

I got it back together by mid June last year, but it didn't last that long before it was stripped down again:

Shotty forks and a $110 investment on a shitty Chinese headlight did her in that season.

Last winter is where the bulk of the mods took place. Picked up a first gen Z1000 headlight form jerryatrophy on here early on, and decided that the massive tail had to be swapped as it did not flow with what I was trying to do.

Got a 2009 ZX-6R tail off the bay and acquired all the fairings and mounting hardware and I came up with this:

The original forks were still leaking and after going through 2 sets of seals I went and bought a first gen ZX-12R front end and cut the triple tree to use the steering lock. Lined up the calipers the best I could, installed a 2005 ZX-6R front fender, and put everything else back on and I was good to go. Passed inspection and I made a few changes here and there, but this is what she looked like the last time I got some good pictures:

I think that's everything lol. Here is a list of what's done so far:
Frame, swingarm, tail, headers, and engine covers painted black
2000 ZX-12R forks, rotors, and triples
-Ignition arms cut to use steering lock
-Calipers painted and spaced in for rotors
2005 ZX-6R Front Fender
Fork Brackets
2003 Z1000 headlight
-Fairing stay cut to fit
-Custom fitted H6M bulb
-Brackets for speedometer
Standard Bar End mirrors
ZX-R Bar Ends
Orbital Ninja Grips
Brackets for brake reservoirs
Full 2009 ZX-6R subframe and tail
-2013 ZX-6R front seat
-Custom adapter plates
-Gas tank bracket
-Seat cowl
JT Racing 530 Chain and Sprockets
2003 ZX-6R front footpegs
2005 ZX-6R coolant reservoir
Fender Eliminator
Chopped Yoshimura RS-3 Exhaust
Custom exhaust bracket
Stainless Steel bolts everywhere

Since I don't have a newspaper or anything like that, and the bike is 260 miles away I just took a picture of the date from my laptop. I will get a paper next to the bike when I'm home again:

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There's a lot that I want to do still and hopefully it will get before the buildoff deadline. Here's a list of what I want to change:

- Raise the gas tank to its original height along with the tail
- Redo the adapter plates for the tail
- Redo or change the spacing on the front fender
- Redo the speedometer brackets
- Redo the rear brake resi setup with a different resi and bracket

The calipers need to be rebuilt or I'll end up buying a pair of Nissins or something along those lines. I also might be adding stainless steel lines to the list cause they look badass and now would be a good time to change the stock lines.

If I have time I'll take a look at the carbs regarding cleaning along with the fuel lines. A new pair of throttle cables is on the list since the pull cable is fraying up at the throttle housing on the handlebar. New grips are also a possibility.

I'm also going for a new paint scheme on the tail and adding these stickers courtesy of myth44:

I might try attempting to work with fiberglass to make some seat/tank panels which will tie the paint scheme and everything else together nicely.

Now for the big part and what will probably done first if I have the corresponding hardware.
A 2005 ZX-6R swingarm swap:

It still needs to be sanded and polished in some spots, but once I get the shock and the right spacers it's going on. I can polish it while it's a roller.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll add more if I can think of anything, but this my plan to finish this bike.

Best of luck to everyone else. Let's build :rock:

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well finally have something to update on now that I'm home for break. Put the brakes back on and charged the battery (3 hours of waiting lol) and took her for a spin. I missed riding so much. Still haven't figured out why the pads are making noise, but I'm using them only for low speed braking. Most of it is rear and engine braking.

Worked on sanding the swingarm a little bit today as well. Is there a difference between wet and dry sanding? Not sure if there is, but I want the best results so that arm will look the best that it can be.

Also brought home the stickers that I got from myth and put one on. I think it looks great:

Will have to get some pics when the sun is out. Not much, but a start.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't do much today, but I did finish work on the rearsets. A while back I bought some 2005 ZX-6R heel plates. The right one bolted right on, but the left needed to be drilled so it could be added on. I also polished the bolts cause they were oxidized and looked like crap too. Started with this:

Drilled:

And bolted on:

Here's the right one:

They look good, but sort of out of place without the swingarm. Really want to get that part on. All in due time.

Went out to Valley Forge again for some pictures. Went to parts of the tour I've never been on and they provided some great shots.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Long time no update lol. Haven't done a lot so far because I've had too much fun enjoying this unusual weather and I'm broke. I did manage to snag an 07-08 ZX-6R rear resi setup for $20 that I'll be able to use and a swingarm fender from an 09-12 6R. Won't be able to use it, but it was only $10.

This setup will look a lot better then what's currently on the bike.

Into the part bin.

One thing that I was working on this week was polishing the headers. Very time consuming and at times was a PITA. I managed to get most of the paint and oxidation off and then polished it. Some parts look better than others, but it looks good:

I don't know why but I like the sound of a straight pipe. It sounds evil lol. I polished the end of the pipe after these pics were taken and I got a real good shine out of it. I'll get some pics of that tomorrow.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

And the strip down began. The plates came in yesterday and I didn't want to waste anytime so I got to cutting right away. At the end of last night I got one of the frame plates sort of finished and got started on the other one. This is how far I got:

Going to get more done today and get some more pics.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got some pics to show you guys took me long enough lol. The right side looks like crap as they still need to be shaped down, but the overall look is great. Here's some pics of them:

And some full shots:

Looks great and it totally changed the riding position.

05 rear shock came in this week and it was absolutely filthy:

After a little bit of cleaning:

Tried fitting it, but the spacer in the 2002 knuckle was too wide so I ordered the 2005 shock linkages and knuckle. Almost got all the parts needed for the swingarm, but still need to finish polishing in some spots.

Some immediate things that need to be done are bracing the battery tray as it needs support up in the front badly and need to get started on the new reservoir set up. The current one is zip tied to the heel plate lol. More to come soon. Heading to the local shop to look at some SS braided lines.

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got some work done over the weekend and I'm pretty pumped about that. But after acquiring some parts a few weeks ago I was able to get the rear shock on. Barely misses hitting the subframe on the left side, but it fits. Much better than the OEM shock.

Fast forward to this weekend and it was time for an exhaust setup change. Bought 03-04 ZX-6R headers a few weeks back and an M4 muffler off of a 2013 gixxer 750.

Has some rash on the one side, but it's not that noticeable. Anyway these headers were supposed to be a direct swap however that wasn't the case. I ended up having to bang the hell out of the left side pipes with a hammer to clear the oil pan, and then had to cut 2 welded support plates to get better movement of the pipes.

After all that I had to reshape the exhaust port where the muffler bolts on as that was bent as well. But I actually got something to fit and work on my 1st attempt which is something I haven't been able to do on this project lol.

Lastly some full shots of the finished product. Loud and looks awesome at the same time :rock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts