Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find a cheap runaround bike and having limited luck (especially only having a very small amount of money to work with), but a friend has just popped up with an SRX250, Neat little lightweight DOHC 250 with a twin carb setup (based on the yam tt250/xt250). Unfortunately it's got a bit of work ahead of it before I can even consider riding it, BUT the registration is on hold (costs minimum $265 to get it back on the road if not on hold), the tires are pretty good (though the rear may have a leak) and there's a few other things to do before I can get it checked over and on the road, like

Seat is fucked - big holes in the cover and foam, but I have experience in seat shaping so not a biggy
Fork seals need replacing - not something I like doing myself but pretty sure it'll cost me less than $100 for both
Exhaust has been chopped off at the can, I'll either need a stock replacement or just a new can
Needs new right hand clip on but I was thinking of replacing them with new ones anyway
Needs a headlight and indicators
New battery (thinking lightweight lipo)

That's gonna add up really quickly in terms of time and money but it's a cool bike and I do need something now.... Questionable. My dad is pretty much telling me it's a complete waste of time because by the time I get it done it'll be time for me to leave for England.. But I reckon I could get it back on the road in a month.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and it's already been painted and rewired and does run (albeit a bit average with the carbs wide open as they are).

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's asking $300 for it and I think I should be able to talk him into bringing it around to my place too. Fork seals would set me back about $100, battery about $80, new exhaust $30-100 depending if my brother is nice enough to let me use one of his, and clip one about $20-80 depending if I can find some from the wreckers. So let's say $650 not including getting it on the road.

That's probably a bit more than I thought originally but it would be spread over a month.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
But if you can't bring it with you it will probably be in the same shape it is now when you do get back to it.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
$100 for fork seals - what are they made of?

I think it has potential, but on the other hand I think it'd work out to be a money pit and I personally wouldn't bother.

·
Commander Cool
9,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not $100 for the actual fork seals.. That's the maximum price I suspect it would be to have them done. I know I know.. I could do them myself but I've tried before and failed miserably, I'd much rather get someone to do it for me so I know they're done right. The rest I can do easy

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
OIC.

You'll save most of that if you remove the forks and disassemble them first, and give clear oil specs to the guy doing the work.

What bit of the job do you struggle with? I've done seals on cbr900, cb-1, xj600s, f650gs. Anything RWU is easy enough. Happy to advise if I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts