Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
GURU
3,368 Posts
ab420 said:
I don't know, but I've been wondering that myself... anyone know?
Well, at about 150 mph my front wheel lifts in 5th gear. I've topped her out with full fairings at 189 mph but now that she's naked, best I've seen is 165 mph and it was insane, felt like 200.. I try to go fast enough to lay on the wind or slow enough that the wind isn't pushing me around. I actually prefer the lack of wind protection, it gives me an advantage comming into turns real hard, the bike slows down much faster than it did with fairings so I can brake later. Once I get to the track this year I will really be able to tell the difference. I'll compare last years lap times with full fairings with this year going naked. My money says I'll be able to do better times now.:devil:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
agreed. the only time i think it slows you down is top speed.

guess i wont be doing too many 160+ runs down the highway on a regular basis anymore.

dang.

·
GURU
3,368 Posts
929_adam said:
agreed. the only time i think it slows you down is top speed.

guess i wont be doing too many 160+ runs down the highway on a regular basis anymore.

dang.

:D Yeah, no more 160+ runs.. Personally, I got tired of the high speed runs.

My bikes putting 160 HP to the wheel, so I can still out run allot of fully fair'd bikes but keeping up with a newer stock fair'd 1000 above 130 mph just doesn't happen anymore. I don't care, I can ride all day in comfort and school them in the twisties.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Smokey74 said:
:D Yeah, no more 160+ runs.. Personally, I got tired of the high speed runs.

My bikes putting 160 HP to the wheel, so I can still out run allot of fully fair'd bikes but keeping up with a newer stock fair'd 1000 above 130 mph just doesn't happen anymore. I don't care, I can ride all day in comfort and school them in the twisties.
yep. those days are behind me now...unless i end up with a new faired bike somehow...but that wouldnt last long anway.

id rather do some nice twisties than a uber fast highway run anyday!

·
OLD GUY's RULE
4,642 Posts
I'v had my gixer up to 260 klm with stock body work on it, but that was in a group of about 80-90 bikes. BIG TIME DRAFTING
I'm 6 10 and weigh close to 300 lbs with my gear on.
So wind is an issue with me. At about 120 klm it starts to drag me.
But with th Duc race fairing and double bubble screen wind is no longer a problem.

·
That's Right!!!
667 Posts
I had the Ducati M900Sie up to 110 and that seemed a bit windy.......I was still comfortable, but I could feel the "push" from the wind, mainly from side to side though.

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
BMiller said:
I had the Ducati M900Sie up to 110 and that seemed a bit windy.......I was still comfortable, but I could feel the "push" from the wind, mainly from side to side though.
what kinda of lid do you have and were your elbows stickin out reall far??

·
That's Right!!!
667 Posts
The Green Lantern said:
what kinda of lid do you have and were your elbows stickin out reall far??
I have a Shoei RF1000 and I was laying on the tank, not sure if I had my elbows tucked due to the bar position. I woulda went faster, but it was night and I had my tinted visor on:nuts:

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
BMiller said:
I have a Shoei RF1000 and I was laying on the tank, not sure if I had my elbows tucked due to the bar position. I woulda went faster, but it was night and I had my tinted visor on:nuts:
lol,i allways ride with my tinted visor,im just to dam lazy to change it,and i got 6 tickets for it so far

·
British Bloke in Canada
2,147 Posts
I think the point is most of the riding is done at speeds that are under 100MPH
when I hit a clear, major road (freeway) then I hit speed excessing that,
streetfighters tend to be tools of urban inviroments, if you wanna go high speed touring then really a Streetfighter isnt the tool

·
Normal Sucks
46 Posts
It depends a lot on what you're wearing. 100mph is the magic number for street clothing, non-fitted jacket, jeans or cargo pants. Works out well though because you shouldn't be hustling too much without proper gear, pussy or not. In full leathers I'm comfortable on my bike up to about 140, beyond that the wind blast is large. I've not topped it out naked but as I mentioned in some other post here I've seen 170mph indicated, which with a +2 setup that i'm running is probably 155-160mph in reality. Front end is twitch as hell at that speed without a damper, I'll wait to run it out 'til I have that issue sorted.

·
Normal Sucks
46 Posts
You know, that last post is not entirely true. I did top the bike out naked and 2-up when I first started converting it, but it still had the stock clip ons. 186 indicated (restricted) and it was fine. Front is light and twitchy but with low bars you can tuck hard and the blast becomes a non-issue. Doing the same with big bars would probably not be the greatest idea, but I assure you I will at some point.

·
Registered
69 Posts
110+ and the wind pulls at my helmet and yanks the collor of my jacket into my neck. I have done faster but you get that crazy feeling that if you loosen you grip to the gips even a little bit, you are gonna go flying right off the back of the bike. Then again I love being able to feel the wind (under 110). I'm hoping a small wind screen will help me out.

·
I went naked from fully faired to help with regulating the sort of speeds I used to ride at. Similarly, this is why I ditched my streamlined and silent full face hat for most rides nowadays and use the old skool open faced aviator with just a leather bandana and the period style goggles.

Now it goes something like this: Upto 70 googles UP relying on shades or glasses for eye protection - 80-90 flick down gogs and tuck elbows in - Approaching 130 knees clamping real tight on the tank and body taking full wind blast my ass is pushed back against the pillion seat step - 140/150 windblast is causing the leather cushions around the lenses of the googles to pucker and resonate and the bandana is clamped hard on my face, any loose straps or buckles now come apart and begin whipping ya. (this is a nightmare if your chinstrap is loose) - 150+UP Prone now, elbows tucked right in tight grip on the bars with one finger forward on brake and clutch levers I can't possibly tell you what it tops out at naked, all I see is the tip of the tach needle in my peripheral vision while I'm fixated on the rapidly approching horizon point and any apparent road side hazards.

Now here comes an upside of nekkid riding: roll off the gas and sit up! gradually stick your knees and elbows out to increase the wind braking effect and even without down shifts or using the brakes it's like hitting the proverbial brick wall for deceleration.
I do believe this is why the German fighterers prefer the more upright tails to help in staying on
:nuts: but groooovy :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
took the fly screen off my naked SV and have gone up to 110 (indicated) At that speed I was feeling a significant force pushing on me but it was no biggie. Normal riding conditions up to 80 I don't really notice it missing.

·
Your ride is cool rico. But as you seem to be more together on the fabbin scene you could raise the tail of yours to match the angle of the cans and bingo! you will not get blown off the back!

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Sheeeet, you guys are lucky you're even hitting 100 before it starts bothering you. I hit 80 on this bad boy, and it literally feels like someone is trying to pull me off the bike from behind. And really forgetaboutit if I have my shorty solo seat on there.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.