Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, i'm usually a tinker 'til it's fixed kind of guy but i can't really do that because it's a friend's bike so i wanted to run some stuff past you.

Aprilia Pegaso 650 been sat for a 3 months after riding home through heavy rain, before it was parked he felt the clutch was a bit odd.

It's got 2 problems, which i think are un-related.

1. Won't start. Starter runs fine, has spark. But fuel is literally pouring out of the airbox drain when trying to start. The airbox is below the carb position on this bike (twin carbs). Am i right in thinking this is likely to just be a gunked up float that it letting excess fuel back up into the intakes?

2. The clutch. It is free wheeling in neutral, and switches into gear and back to neutral fine. However when in gear pulling the clutch makes no odds, it remains positively "in gear" with the rear wheel engaged, it can be turned, turning the motor. It will switch back to neutral easily though. Seems odd that the clutch "works" for gear change but not for dis-engaging.

Opinions please! Thanks.

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) sounds like a stuck carb float! tap the bottom of the carb bowl.
I'll give that a go. If not, i'll suggest he removes and cleans.

2) sticking/ warped clutch plates?
We tried working it loose by bumping it and rocking it on the starter in gear. Any other suggestions or is it take apart and inspect?

Rep'ed for your quick reply!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,255 Posts
Definitely does sound like a stuck clutch. Odd it would freeze in only 3 months, though. Of course, I don't know if this particular clutch is dry or wet.

Tapping a sticky needle loose will probably work ok, but I'm particular about my carbs. I'd be tempted to pick up some bowl gaskets and at least give them a mild cleaning.

Today's fuel is junk and pilots gum up so damn fast. Good luck.

·
Registered
740 Posts
One of the carb/s is obviously leaking and totally flooding the engine why it wont start. Giving each carbs a few raps with a small hammer can sometimes work but it's pretty rare something "fixed" by hitting it is really fixed. I'd pull the bowls off the carb and clean/inspect the needle and seat. Sometimes this is possible without removing them from the bike, just loosen the clamp and spin it sideways. If not, remove the carbs and go through them.

I've seen a clutch be very sticky after sitting for a while, to the point it stalls the idling engine when put in gear with the clutch pulled. After once or twice, or adding a little RPM and dropping it into gear, it lets go and then works fine.

Hydro or cable clutch?

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hydro or cable clutch?
Cable. Great i'll get him to clear the carbs then try the "dropping it in" method on the clutch. Rep'd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.