Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
work on the mini has continued...

...but it’s been slow going. In fact it’s taken some backwards steps :doh:

Crappy British summer seams to be really confused this year and donsnt know weather to char boil everyone or dump half the Atlantic on them! :confused:

But after getting everything working it highlighted some issues

1) the Brakes continued to be crap
2) The charging system just..... didn’t
And
3) half my dash decided to flicker on and off

So I had to pull the dash out for the millionth time and removed the front end again :(

getting bored with this now... wanna hooligan in the thing

Anyway... as the front was off I decided to throw in a few upgrades I was thinking about....
I.e. a new coil and and upgraded alternator.....bwahaha that,ll sort out my charging issue!!!
.....as everything was a bit worn I replaced with new, and while I was at it, bunged in a new set of HT leads

And sure as eggs being oval things that drop out of a chickens arse, it still didn’t charge!

FFS!!!!

But on the bright side
They say you should learn summit new everyday... and today was dedicated to charging systems....
On a side note... yesterday I learnt white dog turds are very hard to spot in gravel
.... and after much reading I actually learned summit useful.

Previous owner never mentioned a charging issue & when I first removed the dash I found the charge warning light was disconnected..
Well when I say disconnected. I mean, there wasn’t one. Just the two wires that should of gone to it taped off
.... I, in my wisdom, decided to re-use the circuit to light up my starter button so once engine was running the start button illumination would go out:rock: but it didn’t
I took this to mean I’d wired it wrong somehow and decided to sort it out at a later date.

What I’d never realised though was that the warning light is part of the alternator circuit....
Really! In all these years I never knew that!
....I always thought it was just a light and removing it wouldn’t affect charging. But it does.
However, when I found this out I thought. Well I’ve reintroduced a light to the circuit so it should work!

But it still didn’t...

More reading and learning random shit ultimately lead me to the answer.

Turns out the light can’t be LED so I switch to a filament boob and ......

....we have charge!!!!!

And as a bonus.... my dash no longer flickers!!

Now if I can just get the brakes to stop pretending they’re made out of custard I should be laughing:D

·
Super Moderator
5,587 Posts
Yaay \o/

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hi Bob good to see you are still here and doing work! Loving the mini and the paint match to Thorburt!

41 - 43 of 43 Posts