Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on guys? Been following this forum for quite a while but I've always had full fairing sport bikes; today that changed. I found my ultimate streetfighter project an 03 954rr. She's in dire need of some TLC but I have a vision and she has potential. I paid $1000 cash and two used guns, a Wall-Mart special Remington 700, and a S&W Sigma. So with everything combined I gave him roughly $1500. I feel like I made out well. The engine is strong and smooth without noises. The transmission shifts beautifully. The brakes shutter though like the bikes about to fall apart. Turn in is also really slow! I've never heard that complaint of a 954 so I'm wondering what's going on. Ill leave that though for another day. So, here she is.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Loads of potential any plans for her

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
definitely a lot of potential. for the brake shutter try bleeding all new fluid in and clean the rotor buttons. if you dont know how to clean them check this video out. its a bit dry content wise but it is helpful
http://youtu.be/1qoPqN2GBdw

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Brakes, yeh first clean calipers and brake buttons but it likely has shot discs. Personally I wouldn't waste time with cheap but some have success with neverland on eBay. You might as well since it was cheap.

Slow turn in? What is the size, and condition of the rear tyre? Reset pressures to 36/42 and report back. I bet it has a 180 or smaller on a 6" rim, or is squared off badly, or is flat or v low pressure.

So what's the plan?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its all stock except for some plastic mountain bike grips and a rip off pipe. I looked at the back tire and its got a 4" wide flat spot so that has to be what's going on.....when you lean her over its like she's fighting you to stand back up. I have my fingers crossed on the brakes though. I hadn't intended going the wave rotor route so hopefully a good cleaning and new fluid and pads will help, its pretty nasty though. As far as ideas, I know Im going with a v-rod headlight, and I'm pretty sure Ill go digital with the gauges cause I don't want a big cluster and I don't like the look of the whole cluster mounted in the tank. I want to use a belly pan but not sure which, and I'm still trying to decide on whether or not to go the vfr800 route for a swingarm. I'm gonna wrap the exhaust and have the tip just come out of the belly pan. I also wanna do a matt paint but not black, I already have a matt-black bike. So I need to find a matt paint that goes well with a powdercoat, maybe a bronze? (I'm buying an oven and doing all the powder myself, wish me luck). Anyway here are a few tail's I am looking at. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
All those tails look good google pocket bike tails and you'll find ones like you posted

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, its been a busy weekend. Spent a day with the in-laws and cleaned the house, (for the in-laws). I woke up to a flat tire on the car this morning, and I haven't watched a single football game. Don't tell me the LSU vs FL score, I have it on the DVR. I did however get some stuff done on the bike....It all started with the sawzall like most great stories do. I pulled it out to cut the steel fairing mounts off and ended up chopping the sub-frame in half. I figured it would look like s**t and that eventually ide replace it with another tail, but the longer I look at it the more I like it. Here's some pics. I also did some painting and removed the God awe full headlight per request. :party-smiley:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely not on the same level as you guys with fabrication. Just finished the battery box and I'm almost done with the lights, then all it needs is paint.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll be blocking off the sides and rewiring but this is a good idea. Hoping the black will make me like it more. What do you guys think?

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Cut that exhaust down! and flip the clipons! And don't worry about fab skills - we all start somewhere man. Just gotta keep plugging, reading, and doing!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know, It looks like a fucking horse dick! I need to pick a donor header so I can weld on a proper merge collector. Gonna chop that can though in the mean time. I had to do a google search on flipping clip-ons. Never heard of it but Ill give it a shot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Epoxy or Body Filler? I need something to fill gaps on this subframe. I reinforced it pretty well but I'm still thinking it would crack bondo over time. And if anyone knows of something that is powder coat safe (400 degrees) that would be a big plus.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts