Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Project DailyRider (my pun on "EasyRider")

8K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  Fight Everything 
#1 ·
So I'm getting real fuckin tired of the mileage the van gets, I'm trying to move out of the current place and to my girlfriend's, but I can't afford the fuel to drive back and forth to work everyday from her place. Just sold a couple of my tractors, and it allowed me to buy something that gets MUCH better mileage.

I bought a grampa bike.

Hoe Lee Fuck is it ugly! 76k on the clock, paint is faded as fuck, seat looks like a porkchop in the freezer, but its like 99% intact. Only things not there are a speaker grille, the antenna, and apparently someone stole the battery cover while the previous owner had it at work one day.

Has a new back tire put on last year, and the stator was replaced 4 years ago. Guy used it for a daily until last year when it stopped charging again. I'm gonna drain the tank, get some fresh fuel in it, and get it running and start testing the electrical system. Assuming the stator that was installed was new, I'm thinking the problem is prolly the R/R. I'll find out once it's running.

So anyway, the plans.
This bike is going to be my daily. Save for the maintenance items, once it's on the road it will not be parked for anything short of winter, my ass in jail, or an accident. I'm going to clean it up, fix everything that needs fixing, replace old shit with new shit, and make it a comfy daily.

I'll get more pics come daylight, and start making a list of what it needs. I cant wait to ride :D

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd love to put some miles on a VFR but due to accident in high school my hip can't take the riding position of a sport bike. It hurt to just sit on the GSXR I hauled home for Ratfighter last year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#7 ·
Ok, after some looking over today, and an attempt to get it started as is, it definitely needs some cleanup and work.

To do list:

Clean carbs
New plugs
Oil and filter
Air filter
Fuel filter
Fresh fuel
Wash the fuck out of this thing
Flush and fill brakes and clutch, check brake pads
Coolant flush
Alternator conversion
Go over all the wiring and make sure all lighting and electrical is 5by5

Once the bike is running and everything is back to good, I'm gonna do some minor upgrades/changes.
Future to do list:

Replace all lighting with LED
Upgrade trunk panels to lights (Aspencade comes with these lights stock, Interstate does not)
Add driving lights
Replace ancient JVC tape stereo with modern cd/mp3 or media deck to use my ipod
Replace crusty ancient speakers with better speakers (prolly do that next time I step outside, I have a pair of Polk Audio 4" that will fit)
EBC brake pads front and rear
Reupholster seat and passenger backrest
New grips
Remove all the gay chrome shit that's all over the bike. It has too much. Slotted light covers, bars on the front fender, this chrome plate covering the sides behind the carbs, it's all tacky as shit. Dead weight, useless crap.
Sand and paint all the plastics with a single color. Currently faded as hell with a lot of cracked or missing clear coat.

That's pretty much it for now.

#9 ·
There is no sound even coming from it. It's a dead relic of antiquity with no use lol.

Took the light panel out of the trunk. Lights and wiring are already there from a previous owner, but setup to be tail/brake all the way across the top. Need to rewire to use the outers for signals.

#10 ·
I have a recommendation for your stereo.. I use a sony dsx 200sx digital media deck in my truck and I love it! Mostly because it has this "tune tray" where you flip the face of the stereo down and you ipod goes into a tray that comes out and then push back into the stereo and flip the face up and it's all hidden and safe inside the deck... Crutchfield has a marine grade version that would be good for you if you happen to get caught in the rain, but has the same tune tray thingy...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158DSXMS60/Sony-DSX-MS60.html

#11 ·
Hell yeah! I put one in my watch list on eBay. See about picking one up once the bike is running. Gonna keep my eyes open though, ideally I'll find one that's got a red or green display instead, something that's either dimmer or wont mess with my night sight too badly.

#12 ·
I can't say for sure on that particular deck, but on mine you can switch between red or blue display color...

#13 ·
If nothing else I might just go with the Kicker PXi50.2. Would keep things nice and simple, only thing visible would be the buttonpad, which has large buttons I can hit with gloves on, and the cable going to the iPod. The only light would be the buttonpad, since the iPod would be tucked in the fairing. Only powers 2 speakers, which is fine since I'm only gonna use the speakers in the fairing.

I'm gonna start cleanup and maintenance teardown this week.

#14 ·
Still haven't done more than remove a couple small things to check out overall condition and clean. Bought plugs, oil filter, and timing belts today at work since they're cheap. Sometime this week I'm gonna pull the lower fairings off and remove the carbs to clean them. I'll throw new o-rings under the intake runners while I'm at it, and flush the fuel tank too.

#15 ·
Jesus Christ this thing is dirtier than a politician at a hooker convention! So far I've removed the seat, false tank, and the gay chrome side plates behind the fairing, and found that this thing is dirtier under than over. I can't wait to roll this thing to the car wash and make a fresh bike out of it.

Also removed a bunch of old, broke, useless chrome shit. Taillight covers, cargo accents, passenger armrest assembly, front signal covers, the chrome side plates from behind the fairing. Sorry, but I don't want all the chrome shit over my fucking lights. We're "invisible" enough as it is without covering half the horrible lighting.

Ok, so updated lists:
Clean carbs
New plugs (bought, not installed)
Oil and filter (have filter, still need oil, will do last before firing up)
Air filter
Fuel filter
Fresh fuel
Wash the fuck out of this thing (SRSLY. Fucking filthy!)
Flush and fill brakes and clutch, check brake pads
Coolant flush
Alternator conversion
Go over all the wiring and make sure all lighting and electrical is 5by5

Once the bike is running and everything is back to good, I'm gonna do some minor upgrades/changes.
Future to do list:

Replace trunk mount lights, lenses are all broke up
Replace all lighting with LED
Convert outer trunk lights to signals with amber lenses
Add driving lights
Replace radio bezel so that I can install new radio
EBC brake pads front and rear
Reupholster seat and passenger backrest. I want the seat cut down some and then repadded with gel. I want the lower seat height with a better cushion.
New grips
Remove all the gay chrome shit that's all over the bike. (most of it now removed, still have more to go)
Sand and paint all the plastics with a single color. Currently faded as hell with a lot of cracked or missing clear coat.
Replace a couple panels on the fairing, mostly cover/pocket panels
Add a couple 12v ports for cell and GPS chargers

#17 ·
Pulled the bags off. Goddamn this thing is dirty nasty. I gotta dig up some quarters so that I can take it to the car wash tomorrow. Gotta tape off the intake (airbox is off right now) so that it doesn't fill up with water. After that I can hose the living shit out of it.

Found 2 bottles of oil and a half bottle of gear lube on the shelf, gonna do the rear end and oil change tomorrow. I think I've got a gallon of coolant here, think I'm actually gonna save that for last, as I might need to unhook the radiator and move it to do the alt conversion. No sense in draining it twice.

While I have the bike this far apart, I'm gonna remove all the lights and make note of what bulb types I need to do the LED conversions. There's a lot of bulbs on this thing. 17 between the fairing, trunk, and bags alone. Plus whatever is in the instrument panel. Well, 16. Not converting the headlight to LED. I'm debating if I want to do bulbs or if I want to do strips inside the panels instead. Most of the bulbs are the push/twist style base, either 2057 size or the smaller one, I forget the number. There's a couple of the tube style bulbs in the trunk as well. I found a guy on one of the 'Wing forums that redid a couple of his lights using the led strips, combined with a harness from CycleMax that will dim it for running light use and return to full bright for signals. I'm figuring I can do the same and redo every light on the bike the same way.
If I go with the bulbs instead, I'll be using this style

I like my shit bright as fuck.

I'm still figuring out what I wanna do with the headlight. My original plan was going to be to cut a large circle out of the factory lense, and then cover the front with a piece of lexan, and install a bixenon projector with HID. I think the lense is actually glass so now I dont know if I'm gonna do the projector. I might just get a Sylvania ZXE and see if it's really worth the money. I can always add projectors under the fairing instead.

#19 ·
You couldn't offend me if you tried. I know exactly what I brought home XD

It is one dirty whore of a slut that deserves the debauchery it shall receive. It's used. It's abused. And it'd been put away absolutely thrashed. But it's complete. Needs some small shit like misc hardware replaced, couple pieces of plastic replaced, and a shitload of cleaning. But it's solid.

I aim to make it a fairly shiny, relatively decent, and absolutely fun to ride daily.

If anyone donates a good battery I will totally ride it with "THIS BIKE LOVES THE D" on the windshield.......

#22 ·
Dude awesome bike I've got one that was in slightly better shape that I'm building rt now lemme know if you need any parts I wouldn't mind having the space again. I live near Madison wi too I could send you off with a crap load of bits
Rw

#23 ·
Taped up the intake and hosed the holy fuck out of it at the car wash. Looks like a whole new bike. I got all the grease and oil off the back of the engine cases, got most of the dirt off the frame and bodywork, etc. Still got a few spots I missed, but thats on the trunk and the gas tank. Tank is coming out to get flushed anyway, so I can finish the cleanup then. I still need to wash down the body panels that aren't on the bike right now, I'll be doing that as part of the reassembly.

Now that I can see what the hell I actually have out from under the dirt pile, time to get busy :D

#24 ·
Love this shit. I'd be tempted to get one of these bitches and turn it into a badass evil ride. Good luck with it man. I am in the same boat as you, my girls apt is about 40 mins without traffic from work. It sucks.

#25 ·
Ya know ya have to take about half the damn bike apart to get the tank out right? It comes out from behind through the swing arm good luck with that lol I have a manual so lemme know if ya need help.

#29 ·
As I sit here watching snow fall on all my shit, I'm thinking about other things I'd want to do to the 'Wing. One thing that bugs me about the look of the GL1200 is the hard bags. When looking at it, the panel between the bags where the license plate sits looks like it wasn't very well thought out. Plus I don't like how the bags have lift off lids.

GL1200

By comparison, the GL1500 bags are a full wraparound setup, have better lighting (the 1200 taillights are 2 squares on the insides of the bags, the 1500 lights go all the way around), and the bags open with lids on the sides.

GL1500

I don't imagine the attachment points to the frame are going to be much different. Wiring should be more or less the same as well. Going to the GL1500 bags would also let me get rid of more of the chrome on the bike, specifically the bars in front of the bags, and by association, I could get rid of the ones around the engine as well.

#30 ·
Ok, did some looking around on eBay. Looked at GL1200 frames, GL1500 frames, and GL1500 subframes (baggage mounts). The 1200 and 1500 frames are similar in the rear, similar enough that I should be able to hang a set of 1500 luggage with minimal work. I'm gonna see about acquiring the parts over the summer and do the swap come winter.

Back end work is gonna consist of luggage swap, led lighting, and a rear end swap (wheel and final drive). Apparently the 1200's have a problem with the bearings in the wheel wallowing out, the 1500 has a better bearing setup that handles the loads better. Also has a little wider tire.

General progress on this thing should commence soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.