Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone back again with hopefully a project that doesnt go unfinished.
Right before Christmas i got a katana from a friend for free.
Bike sat for 2 years between 2 owners. A good solid project. Fairings arnt terrible but they are cracked in spots.
Gas tank might have a leak still unsure.
It does have a suppatrapp exhaust.
Pretty sure im gonna fighter this ugly thing.
I have a bike speedometer to get rid of gauge cluster.
My biggest issue is the ignition isnt working. Its stuck, my buddy broke a key in it got it out and key remade. So i havent decided on toggle switch or replace the ignition. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or advice on how to wire one up. Any ideas would be great as I am not sure on the direction i am going yet. I will post pictures as soon as photobucket is back up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the ignition problem taken care of for now have to push it towards gauges to turn it on. So thats the least of my worries now. Tomorrow I'm putting everything back together and going to try and start it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of the bike

Issue with tank same on both sides looks like bondo

Seat off cleaning the left over nests

At least the wiring harness is untouched

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No go on getting it running today. But lights all work haha. Gonna have to find a local mechanic because it's now past my ability.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
No go on getting it running today. But lights all work haha. Gonna have to find a local mechanic because it's now past my ability.
Fuck that noise man...

So expand on what "no go on running" means.

Does the starter motor turn and crank the engine when you push the button?

If not, what kind of noise do you hear when you hit the button? Clicking?

Is the battery you are using some old piece of garbage that came with the bike that has been sitting for two years?

·
Registered
534 Posts
^ what F'dup said. With all the combined knowledge here, you are more then capable of getting it running. Just be descriptive and turn wrenches. Folks with specific knowledge will definitely help ya out

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the battery the otherday went to interstate battery. The starter does spin it does get that one grunt like it wants to start but doesnt kick over if that makes sense. Even tried some starter fluid didnt help. But the bike has sat for a long time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still waiting on the manual to come in. And my tools since we moved back to the cape and I left them in nh so I dont have a whole lot. I know I need to source a carb rebuild kit or find the parts individually.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The carbs will just be dirty, really easy to clean them though and you really don't need much more than a screwdriver and some carb cleaner.
I've done loads of the oil cooled Suzuki engines and they generally just come down to - dirty carbs, or bad coils, but if yours is trying its best to fire and just coming up short, the coils are fine.

Id also make sure the tank is clean inside, and fit a new fuel filter

As long as the oil level is high enough, and the fuel system is clean, these bikes tend to run forever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts