Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On April 18th I took ownership of this bike:

It was fulyl faired and just about everyone one very forum told me I was butcher for doing this to an FZR400 in such good condition. But I say fuck it. You can see the date of todays newspaper and the date we signed for the bill of sale when I took the bike and got working on it.

More newspaper dating...

So here's what I am doing so far.

So that's

-05 GSXR600 forks in 06 GSXR1000 triples with with GSXR1000 calipers, axel, controls, etc
- yzf600 gas tank
- 03 GSXR Alstare rear wheel
- 96 SRAD GSXR750 swingarm
- 07 R6 subframe and seats (Still looking for plastics)
- 06 GSXR1000 front wheel

I am starting with this

Now she's naked.

Gunna put the fairings back on just to get her to pass safety and then I am gunna start tidying her up. I think I am going to put the GSXR front end on first. Then the swing arm later. It has a 4.5" TZ250 rear wheel right now, which is going to be for sale soon as I get it off the bike.

I am going to the machine shop later this week to talk to them about making me an aluminum shockmount that will let me bolt my R6 subframe to.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started on the swing arm swap today. Barely going to have to cut anything off the GSXR swing arm. Although I might say that it was a bit of a whore getting the fzr swingarm out. I also weighed some parts and was very surprised with the weights.

FZR400 swing arm with brake caliper etc 6KG or 13.2 lbs <--- the GSXR swinger is 22lbs so I am gaining about 9 lbs there. I might try the SRAD 600 arm later for a lighter weight option in the future.

Fox shock 3.6kg or 7.92 lbs

TZ 250 rear wheel 14.2 kg with tire, cush, sprocket or 31.2 lbs <--- the GSXR 5.5" wheel is only slightly heavier by like a pound or something which isn't bad at all.

Sitting naked

Getting her up on stands

GSXR Wheel vs TZ250 wheel

Wheel off

Shock off

Swing arm off and sitting by the new swinger

Two fizzers and the ninja

Test fit GSXR swinger

Mock up

Look how freaken tiny the FZR pivot bolt is. Going to look into brass spacer to get it to fit inside the GSXR bolt

Sits inside gsxr pivot bolt with room to spare

So on my list of things to do is pull the bearings, and have brass sleeves made for the FZR pivot bolt. And then cut down the bearing spacer in the swingarm and then cut the swingarm down by the same same amount to get it to fit the frame rails. I estimate about 6-8mm total of cutting.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been hustling all day to get this done. Only thing left needed to bolt it all up is I need a sleeve made for the stock axel. It has to be 15mm ID 25mm OD and 217mm long. If any machinist is reading this shoot me an offer on how much an aluminum or bronze sleeve would be.

Bearing puller I grab from the U S and A

Worked great got the bearings out

Then I tossed the bearings into the freezer

Chopped the swingarm down to the size of the frame. I removed 5mm from each size and tossed the spacer inside the dust covers. 222mm just like the FZR frame

This is the spacer inside the swingarm that keeps the inner bearing races from falling inside the swingarm. Cut it down by 4mm on each side and test fit with the races to make sure it was all good.

Put one of the bearings and inner races back in. Saving the other side to take to a machinist in case they need it. It's also in the freezer right now with the bearing.

Trimming rearset area

Sucks no machining can get done tommorow because then I could bolt it all back together and go ride it! Actually not really. I still have to confirm sprocket aligment. And then swap the sprocket out with a -1 ninja sprocket I have to regain alignment which I suspect I will have to. And then I have to get and rivet a chain, which will be the easy part. I have inhaled for than enough aluminum dust today.

But the hard part is done. Everything should be bolt on from here on out. And that includes the rest of the mods. Even the subframe, I intend on mocking the brackets up on cardboard and taking it to the shop and have them make it in aluminum. Can't wait to be done though. It's depressing to have such a warm day out but have no bike.

Picked up my GSXR front wheel today as well.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok today was action packed but I am being held up because I gotta search for my ZX6R front sprocket. Fortunately I have a ZX6R I was going to put a 14T front sprocket on but I am gunna put it on the FZR instead. But I can't find the god damn thing, even though it was in my face for months sitting in my room.

On with the pictures and doings of today:
Finally got the spacers made and man am I ever pleased with them. The machinist was a super cool guy. Cost me $10 each sleeve spacer. The spacer is second from the left. I had two made but I am illustrating with one in this pic. Farthest left we have the bearing inner race, third from left we have the inner pivot tube spacer that keeps the inner races from falling inside. And to the farther right we have the FZR pivot axle. Specs on the spacer btw is 25mm OD 16mm ID and 48mm long

They go together quite nicely.

Here they are in the swing arm, like pees in a pod

Then here is the view from the other side without inner race and such

Here we are with spacer in on both sides

Test fit swingarm in the bike

Wheel in for a quick look

Rear shock is back in

Rear wheel on now for the intention of spracket alignment

Threw the old chain on there to help me see my alignment

Final rearview pic

Now off I go to find that damn ninja sprocket, and prolly gunna buy a socket to remove the sprocket. Damn thing is like 32mm or something.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ninja sprocket on up front

Modking's hydraulic clutch is in the way of the chain. I am going to need to go back to clutch cables unless one of you guys has an idea. Also I am not even sure what it looked like with clutch cables... But my GSXR front end has cable stuff so I rather switchback anyway.

In the words of Spyder "Damn I am good"

Modking clutch cylinder off... seriously how do I convert back to clutch cables????

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the bike off the stands to let it sag and such. And man am I in love with how it looks/feels. The wheel base is now 56" dead on... just measured using a measuring tape from center of each axel. Stock FZR400 wheelbase is 55.1". I think when I adjust the axel a little bit I can get the wheelbase down to about .7" over only.

Picture time. I am very pleased with the product. We'll see how she handles.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to have aluminum shock mount made, but after talking to my welder and machinist I decided the weight savings there weren't worth it. I ground out the spot welds holding the subframe to the shock mount and weighed the shock mount, it was only 2.2lbs. So an aluminum would would have to be beefier to have the same strenght and would have probably ended up being in 1-1.5lbs... not really enough weight savings to spend ~$150 for...

terrible I am sorry... this shows the subframe spot welds ground out.

shock mount mount

Shock mount back in frame just checking it out etc.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a small update. Still waiting on bearing from the Zoran.

Anyways I been fiddling with the tail/tank orientation trying to make it look like an OEM fit. I think I have arrived at a satisfactory fit. So I can now have my welder weld me something up. Going to unstaple the seat and do some very slight trimming to get a cleaner fit.

Pulled all the wiring off the motor because it's a god damn mess so I am going to be going through that in my down time waiting for that bearing.

Also I was fiddling with the ignition and noticed the 05/06 gsxr1k trippled very conveniently are centered very much like the FZRs... even more conveniently the holes for the ignition lock mount exactly where the FZRs do. And if I am lucky with the offset of the ignition lock spot I may get to keep my steering lock.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shaved the R6 seat down a bit to match the YZF600 tank a little better.

Also been messing around with the space between the tail and the rear rim (basically adjusting the height of the tail) I have arrived at a magical 13" distance that I am happy with that gives me the best compromise between seat alignment with the tank, aesthetic appeal and natural OEM fitment type look.

I also measured the wheel base and it was 55". I am going to measure again when I get my wheel back tommorow for the official (final) wheel base measurement.

Also applied a little dremel magic to the ignition cylinder and it now happily bolts up to the GSXR top triple. But I need some kind of O-ring at the top. I don't really went to shell out more money at the machine shop for them to make me some kind of ring out of aluminum. Instead I want some kind of rubber O-ring to fill the gap between the FZR ignition cylinder and the suzuki triple. The good news is that my parking steering lock will be fully functional. You can see the space around the cylinder in the picture.

Also my headlights arrived from England today. So I am going to figure out how to mount them tommorow. I am thinking of using t-bolt hose clamps.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spent all day working on the bike. I wasn't happy with the way the shock was interfering with the swing arm. So I made the banana linkage off the 750 work which adjusted the shock angle enough to clear but now I don't have the right bolt size to connect the shock to the bannana linkage so I'll get that tommorow morning.

OK so I need your expert help guys. My front end is ALL 05 06GSXR1000 stuff except for the forks and axel. Those are 04/05 GSXR750 stuff. My front wheel won't align correctly do I need the 05 06 GSXR1000 axel? I know the GSXR1000 front wheel needs a spacer... and I have that spacer but it's not working no matter which side I put it on the axel isn't long enough to thread to the other side. Without the spacer the axel catches and will tighten up fine but the spacing is wrong. Someone help me out here with GSXR experience.

Pics will go up tommorow.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Managed to sort out my front wheel issue. I guess no spacer is needed for my setup.

Put the chain on...

Now running GSXR1000 throttle cables to my YZF carbs.. They jsut barely fit, but the cable length is great I couldn't be happier with the set up.

I am having some chain interference issues though. The chain is hitting the dust cover on the swingarm and is very lightly brushing the top of the swingarm as well. So I need a shorter shock, or longer dogbones. I gotta do my research to see which is a better idea from suspension stand point or if they are equivalent options.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spent 11 hours rewiring the bike today cuz the previous owner totally butchered the wiring harness and it was filled with crimped connections which I hate/mistrust. So I removed almost all and replaced with solder. I have about 15 left to do tommorow but I can barely see in front of me right now from looking at that crap. I did test my gauges and new headlight and they work great with my reformed headlight.

Man I am half way done with fixing the harness and I have a massive pile of extra electrical tape and wires beside me. I'll take a picture of the final pile later and weigh it lol.

This is what I started with.

|

|

\/

Then it became this.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x225/Freestyle72/FZR400/photo-2363.jpg

|

|

\/

Then finally we have

Trying to get the harness crimp free and all soldered so it's not so clunky. Also I don't trust crimped connections but that's just me. Plus it will be much easier to handle the harness and route through the bike and the skinny R6 subframe.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x225/Freestyle72/FZR400/photo-1062.jpg[/img[
[img]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x225/Freestyle72/FZR400/photo-1669.jpg

crap like this drives me nuts. All the wires are coming from one harness and then one random wire to the same plug is going to the other harness. It doesn't make any god damn sense. I wish I could smack the privous owner for this kind of crap.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This will better illustrate what I am talking about.
Made my own dog bones. Not the best looking dog bones, but they are actually thicker (read WAY thicker in both axis) than the stock GSXR750 ones and are made from T6 6061 aluminum so I think they will be ok.

This is the final stance of the bike. The stock kickstand is at the perfect height, so this tells me I haven't lost/gained any height in the bike (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Just gotta hook up some signals and tail lights. And make the rest of my headlight mount and guage mount and I can roll on this bitch.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok got my coolant resevoir done. And basically done the headlight mount. Just gotta cut off the extra material. Also gotta think up how to mount up my ninja's turn signals.

Rad overflow hose shoved through bottle top I drilled a hole in.

Pour 5 minute epoxy on to hold it in place and keep it water tight.

Pulling the plug out, god bless the inventor of duct tape

Bottle mounted. This isn't the final mounting by any means, just getting a taste of what's to come. Any ideas on what to use to strap it to the bottom of the tail would be appreciated, because I need to do my remote resevoir in a similar fashion

Starting to look finished.

headlight mounted

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going with gloss black on the tank. I am going to get a friend of a friend here to spray it for me.

I also ordered caswell tank repair phenol novasomethingorother epoxy should be here later this week.

When and got fasteners and spacers for my rearsets. These are the stock 400 rearsets, but I am looking for 05 06 GSXR1000 rearsets chinese or used what ever I want to spend under $150 on them so I'll wait for the right deal to come by.

So all that is left is to get my pod filters on. Solder the hand control wiring once I know my current set up will fire the engine up. Rear subframe mount gotta get welded. Get the tank back and coat it. Finish guage bracket I have no idea how I want to mount that yet. And that's it. She will be done.

·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finished the headlight setup. I couldn't be happier with it. I'll probably paint it black or blue later. But for now I am extremely satisfied with it. It' is extremely firm despite only have one arm, instead of two for stability. It's mounted as firm as any OEM style stay so I am quite satisfied because of that.

Also thinking about using my old Zx6R turn signals as frontway flashers to avoid having to buy new signals. Plus they look so oemish and I kinda like that. But they won't go on without modification,a nd I am not sure if it's worth the effort for something I will probably change down the road anyway.

Your thoughts? Would love to hear them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts