Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**EDIT: Project Complete! Final Images go here

END EDIT**

Alright, let's do this! I dug up this rough little gem from a cycle shop's back yard. The poor thing had been sitting out in the elements for who knows how long.

Pictures taken once we got her home

Stripped off the plastics and the gas tank (which turned out to be full of motor oil). Luckily it seems the oil was pretty good at doing its job of keeping the tank from rusting out. After some blasts of starter fluid and some actual fuel in the tank, the bike started up and ran. Good enough for me, let's start tearing it down.

Carbs out and headlight off. Needless to say, that brick of a headlight is not going back on. Keeping an eye out for a nice dual setup.

Stripped everything out of the frame. Plan will be to sand and paint the frame in a shade of red.

Enter the Suspension Donor. While scrounging a boneyard for upgraded suspension we found this poor soul languishing. A straight looking 1995 GSX-R 1100! There was a ding in the main frame cage, and it was missing a rear caliper. But for the price I couldn't pass this up.

The back swinger mocked up super close to the original equipment sizes. will need to shave some clearance for the top and bottom shock mounts and then get a spacer and bushing to fit the main pivot bolt.

Final mockup before the frame is cleaned up and painted. Front forks will need to be cleaned up and have an order in for conversion steering bearings.

And that catches us up to the present. I have 2003 ZX9R front calipers on their way along with some fresh levers, 530 chain conversion sprockets, and a rear shock from a 2008 GSXR 1000.The rims are off now and will be sent off to get some red powder coat.

Thanks to the community for the information I have gotten so far and for any info in the future!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind words Tusch!

Haven't been too active with the thread since I have been waiting on parts to show up. Things are about to heat back up though now that the frame is now back. Just waiting on wheel bearings now.

Just got the frame and wheels back from powder coat!

More to come once I get the wheels get back on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
diggin the red! Im lookin forward to seeing this ol girl come back to life...

what did you do with the factory fork/brake set up you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 4cups and ZXtasy!

And MrCrowley13, I do still have the front forks that came with the bike but the master cylinder window got popped at one point and it lost its fluid. The pieces are just sitting in a corner now in case I need to scavenge anything off of them.

As for the bike, got a little more serious mocking up done. Got a measurement for an extended swingarm linkage as the stock ones were way too short for the conversion and 2007 GSXR1000 replacement shock that are installed.

G

·
I like this a lot but am surprised you didnt do a little frame bracing while you were there, was that a conscious decision ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back with another update! Been working on unsexy stuff like engine paint and temporary linkage fab.

Got some 3 stage engine enamel on

Scrubbed off some paint for accents then re-cleared

Then made a nice little discovery of a Yoshimura 4 into 1 pipe at the local boneyard! Initial fitment is promising, will fit again this weekend after I get the engine in the bike to make sure the oil cooler fits

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the words Rob_Ot! From what I can feel these gixxer boingers are going to be stiff as shit. This may be normal, but I am used to riding a bike where the shocks and forks will compress with a lean.

As I had hoped, the engine is now in the bike! Pipes look like they should fit around the frame rails and oil cooler lines.

With that job done, the work on adding other pieces back on has now begun. I was able to get the brake calipers, lever perches, throttle tube, and fairing on as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, thanks zx10_fighter! The headlight is the faired version of the Paaschburg & Wunderlich Gothic headlight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still moving on this project, just slowly due to some cage race prep. Tank is filled and primed up and the re-wiring process is on! Working on a bracket for the new gauge cluster, but here are some pics as she sits now.

Front view with tank mocked up and bar ends installed.

Mocked up with tank and seat.

Side panel repair is not looking very promising. Trying to decide if I should keep working the old plastic panels or just fill the gap with some mesh.

Also going to re-arrange that light on the back to make it more inline with the pipes. Also will try my hand at glassing to see what kind of tail section I can fit around that light.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts