Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the fiance is away on her Bachelorette party week thingy. Left this morning at 07:00 and isn'tdue back until early Friday. Knowing that, it seems like I'll have lots of free time too get stuff done around the house. I've got three bathrooms that need tiling . A couple walls that need patching and paint and a bunch of old baseboards to put back up. Aside from that, I gotta clean the garage . So of course I'm not doing any of that. I'm going to attempt to strip and repaint 1/2 the body work on Mrs. Sev ' s sv650.

I guess for those that haven't seen some of my older pposts I'll do a quick run down. Two years ago the missus and i planned a bike trip for Aug. Week long tour through the mountains and other places. A month nbefore that... her friend bbacked into her bike in the parking lot. Her 2010 ex250 got pushed back ways for 6 feet and the front end was shattered. Had to go through insurance who wouldn't let me do the work so to the shop it goes. They play the standard fucky fuck game and iknow we won't get it back in time. So I hit the local ads.

Found a 2001 sv650 for sale for $1900. Ex race bike we all kinda know what that means. She was in pretty rough shape with some questionable work done . And the owner had hacked it back together... Basically it was a basket case but with good bones. Off the top of my head.

Front brakes leaking
Wrong clip on
Throttle cables routed wrong
No rad family
No horn
No chain guard or sprocket cover
Shitty paint
Brake fluid pooched
Clutch cable ruined
No rear turn signals
No under tray
No side panels

The good - upgraded suspension front and rear, aftermarket exhaust all the way back. Nice race rubber, runs good and sounds good.

Took it for a test ride, every time I turned the handlebars to the left the engine red lined. Brakes didn'treally work, but otherwise was good. Because he had the wrong clip on he had to mount the throttle all the way out to not hit the bodywork. So every time the handlebars turned the cables were pulled taunt and the engine red lined.

I pulled back in to his garage looked him right in the eye and said, you can't sell this like this, you will kill someone . Got a whole, "what do you mean?" So I showed him all the problems I had already found and explained thebike was not even close to safe for the road. He asked me what I thought Iit was worth and I said, "I'll give you $1000 tonight." He pretended not to hear me and we pushed it into his garage. He asked me again and I explained that I would have to take 2 days off work just to get it back on the road. But I could scrape together $1000 and get it out of his garage tonight. He said okay and we went and picked up my ramp.

This is what she looked like:

I promptly named her Gorgon because she's ugly enough too turn you to stone. The wife being somewhat more emotional called her Mumbles because of the exhaust note. The FMF pipe sounds very nice.

Spent the next two days taking care of sundry items. Horn, throttle cable routing, clip ons and clutch cable replaced with parts from svracingparts, thanks Blair. New horn, fan, etc etc and we were on the road.

Handlebars buzzed too much, filled them with lead wire meant for making your own fishing weights. Passenger peg mounts were cutoff . Found a new subfamilyfor cheap, so I replaced the whole assembly, pulled the ugly decals off for the most part and here we are. She rode it and loved it, so we sold her 250 when she got it back from the shop and she bought the sv650 off me.

Wife has ridden it on and off for the last two years, had aan ignition coil and a battery fail last year so her confidence in the bike was not high... but this year it has been running solidly and the wife decided to keep it.

So, I have an ugly sv650 with a fucking Shittywhite paint job with factory black fairings . Something must be done. I've been trying to convince the wife for the last month that we should work on it together pull the bodywork sand it down and paint it. Maybe tmw. Maybe tmw.

So... with her being gone the next 4 days I know it won't be ridden I figured why not get it done, it'll be a nice surprise for when she gets back. The kicker? Between now and then I have to work 3 x 12 hour shifts. 2 night shifts and one day shift . That means all the work needs to happen tuesday/Wednesday. The good news? Weather is in the high 20s all week with no forecast precipitation.

I'm going to hit post now and continue updates on my next break so I don'tlose all my writing (I may or may not be writing this from work on my cell phone)

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, this morning I got off work at 07:00 and drove home in time to see the fiance before she left with the bridesmaids for Vegas. Hope they're having fun . Cause I'm bagged and need to be back at work tonight for 18:30. 12 hour shifts ssuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

With the wife on her way I promptly pass out and wake up around 14:00 hit the coffee maker then head for the garage. Two weeks ago I did a "test" shoot on the small fairing piece that covers the brake light. It came out really well and the duplicolor enamel clear seems to be gas proof. I know I know rattle cans suck, but we work with what we have.

I know the picture sucks, but for a half days work... I'm quite proud at how it turned out...

here's the rest of her it. Shitty kinda matte white paint. Front fender is just cheap black rattle canright over s faded stock red paint.

You can see the dents and other colors coming through. Plus the damage from stickers applied to wet paint.

Gotta hit upload again.

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My goal for today was to have everything sanded down for bondo/primer so I could start painting tmw. I did not give myself enough time. Also, I am an idiot. Do not do as I did.

First pull all the body work you intend to paint:

Tank, front fender and both tail section pieces. Yay! Those came off easy. Next step, sanding/stripping.

So I say again, I am an idiot, and being an idiot, and preferring mechanical to chemical operations I chose to strip the tank with an angle grinder... stop laughing . With a three inch twisted steel stripping cup.

safety first

test section

Getting started

of course there's bondo, it's a race bike, peaslkind enough to put it over the paint too...

stripped off two layers of paint and the base coat. Base coat was a bitch!!! Dry sanded with 60 grit to get the last of the primer off, and thus is what we have.

All in all that sucked! My hands are aching and if I didn'thave hearing protection I'd be deaf, but it's stripped and clean with no chemical residue to clean.

Plan for tomorrow is to bondo it when I get home from work (couple small dents and fix up the previous stuff)
Then sleep for a couple hours sand down the plastics and primer. Let the primer dry overnight and paint on Wednesday. Wish me luck!

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So she's out partying in Vegas for a whole week and you're working on her bike? Less bike pics more stripper pics. ;)
I get the distinct impression that you're not going to want to see the stripper pictures she's likely to collect... But I'll ask her when she gets back if you want.

Today was a pretty good day, got home from night shift and hit the garage for about an hour in order to try to bondo up the dents - I've never done bondo work before, and I REALLY suck at it.

Left it to dry and promptly passed out.

I sanded the primer into kinda shape, added another layer to try to smooth out some of the rough patches and completely forgot to take a picture.

Layed down a couple coats of primer:

The paint I sanded off the front fender was weird, almost like glue as it was coming off... actually it still felt a teeny bit tacky to the touch, and it's been on there for years. Any idea why that happens?

Going to TRY painting the gascap ring, I don't have a lot of hope for it to work though.

You can see the bondo on the center of the tank. An extra coat of primer and a little wet sanding took care of most of it. I'm hoping once the black paint goes on it'll disappear.

Wet sanded with 600 and ready for paint tomorrow morning.

One FINAL little level of bondo to fill in the tiny low spots. I've learned to be a lot more careful with the bondo application that's for sure. I'm kinda wondering how it's going to work out with it on top of the primer, so I may shoot another level of primer before paint on the tank tomorrow.

I get one full day off tomorrow and that's it because I have to work 07:00-19:00 on Thursday Friday and she'll be back by then.

I'm hoping to have everything painted and cleared by tomorrow evening and then install it Thursday after work. Going to have to be VERY gentle with it when I put it in I think.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
I hate to say that you can't hide anything with black. It shows up every single imperfection. So you'll need to shoot another coat or two of primer and make sure it's as smooth as possible, otherwise it'll stick out like dogs balls.

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, Pariah, my thanks for the warning about spraying black. I was more concerned about the color covering the bondo than the scratches and edges, but I decided to lay down another 2 coats of primer (wet sanding in between) to even out the tiny scratches that were left.

While I was waiting for the primer to dry I tackled the Pirelli stickers on the fork legs. Ex race-bike and all that...

Couple of minutes with the heat gun and picking at it like an old scab revealed dirty fork lowers.

Hit it with some Meguilar's Scratch-X which is a basic rubbing compound meant for smoothing out clearcoat (and the fork lowers had clearcoat that needed smoothing haha.

Couple shots of the tank with primer before I started laying down the black. I've been wet sanding with 600 grit between coats and then rubbing down with alcohol to get rid of any finger prints.

Flashed the gascap red. This isn't the final coat, as I forgot to take a picture of it.

First coat of black

And final coat of black. Currently waiting for it to dry enough that I can wetsand it and apply the clear.

Apparently I forgot to take pictures of the tank.... I'll throw those up in the next post.

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Pariah, it's been pretty fun so far. I work best with a deadline. Maybe I need to impose a deadline on my streetfighter project - Steampunk.

Either way, just hit the garage again (fuck it stinks in there!) and layed some clear - I messed up and got overspray on the tank so I'll let that dry for a bit then sand it and hit it with one last coat of clear...

First coat of clear

Second coat of clear

Final coat on tail section

Front fender paint went on nice enough it looks white... but it'll dry clear and hopefully look amazing. I've been using that white look to let me know when it's thick enough for the final coat.

Same problem with the gascap, hopefully it'll come out BRIGHT red.

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, ran out to the garage for the final time today. Took a look at the tank and enough of the overspray brushed off gently that I'm okay with just leaving the tank the way it is. Basically, I'm done painting, and while the urge to fully assemble the bike today is huge I'm going to at least let it cure until after work tomorrow. I'm hoping that it'll stiffen up enough that I can get it back together. I'm going to leave the tank pad we have off for a week so that the tank can offgas completely. I'd hate to ruin all this work just because I jumped the gun there.

I'll do a final post tomorrow when I get it all back together.

That's it for today. Need a shower (I reek like paint) and then I food, haven't eaten yet today, didn't want to walk away from the project.

Go Gorgon!

·
Wannabe
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I can safely say mission accomplished. Bike fully assembled and it's only 20:23. The plane isn't due to land until 00:30, and by the time she gets her luggage and home I suspect that it'll be around 02:00.

I have to work again at 07:00, so I'll be asleep when she gets in. She's got the day off tomorrow, so my plan is to text her this thread when I get up in the morning and leave for work. Hopefully she'll read the whole thing, so in true custom fighters spirit, please congratulate my fiance on our upcoming nuptials.

Pariah, thanks for the kind words it turned out better than I was hoping, however some of the Bondo work isn't great, especially on the left side and I should have gone over it a couple more times.

falx955i, the clearcoat turned out really well in most places, like smooth to the touch really well, so I took a stage two finisher and just went over a couple of places on the tank where the rattlecan started spraying half air, half paint (cause the can was emptying) to smooth out the rough spots. If I were to do it again, I'd want to be able to move the tank around so I'm always using the spray can while it's held level.

All in all I'd say it's a solid 3 foot paintjob, which is to say from 3 feet away it looks pretty damn good, at 2 feet it's good, but get any closer and you'll notice some issues. Not a lot, but some.

I was hoping to take pictures outside in the sun, but yesterday was 30C and sunshiny, today... it's 15C and pouring rain, I'll wait for the sun to come back out to really capture the work.

Without further ago, here's the final product.

When we picked her up

How she looks now

You can see the difference between the factory and my paint... I suspect she'll make me do the fairings next.

The tank isn't amazing, and I think I may try to throw one more layer of clear on it if I can pick up a fresh can of clear coat. But the rest turned out really nicely.

For rattlecans, I'm super happy with the work. In fact I'm actually tempted to pick up a nice spray gun and try doing the race bike again, as the job I did on that sucked, I tried to do a LOT of thing coats and it never really bonded correctly, this time I did two medium(ish) coats and then one heavy, then the same with the clear coat. I mucked about a bit trying to pull a little overspray off the gascap, and it was REALLY tough to scratch off with my nail even picking at it for a while. Though it was still a little soft. I suspect it'll harden up even more over the next couple of days.

I'm happy with how the work turned out. And after rubbing down the test piece (section above the tail light) with gas on a rag I'm semi-confident that spilling a little gas on the tank won't ruin the finish. But only semi-confident.

If it does, I'll have a real excuse to pick up proper paint gear and real paint, so it won't be the end of the world.

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
Even if its rattle can you always wet sand the clear down from 1000 grit to 2000 grit with at least one step in between. Then once its all dull looking get a random orbital buffer and buff that. Between wetsanding the clear perfectly smooth and the buff job afterwards it will pop like you wont believe!

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Way to make it happen! Turned out real nice. It's a lot less Shamu looking now lol...

And congratulations to you and your future wife on the wedding!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts