Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never generally been one to try to fix something that isn't broken, but after getting married, having kids, then getting mortgaged to the hilt so that I can work 50 hours a week and still have no money left, my poor old Suzuki has been sadly neglected. It's been sitting in the corner of my parent's garage (then outside in the rain when they decided they needed the space) for so long that it's due some cosmetic surgery.

Once upon a time my bike looked like this: (not my actual bike, but right colour)

It was purrrrdy. It didn't stay that way for long. So un-long in fact that the crashing and subsequest razzing of fairings and engine cases occurred during the test ride... Let's just say I wasn't in a good position for negotiating a deal and leave it at that.

Right now it looks like this:

I should be DW instead of posting so that's all for now.

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wait, you crashed someones bike on a test ride??
Shhhh... What part of "leave it at that" did you miss? ;)

Okay, yes I did. It was from a local dealer/workshop and I've been a customer there since I was a teenager so they know me pretty well and were good about it. I paid their asking price and they offered to fix it for cost of parts.

For now the plan is simple - get bike back on the road. it's been mothballed (without the use of moth balls) for ages and I need to ride. So there's a few things, mainly exhaust and lighting/electrical gremlins that I need to sort out so I can get a roadworthy certificate.

I tracked down a NOS OEM muffler and it was more than $1000 which is pretty much my entire budget. So to get around it I've got a Delkevic link pipe for a Bandit 1200 coming which fits my headers and lets me bolt on a Bandit muffler (plenty available cheap from my local wreckers). I figure since stock mufflers only have "Suzuki" stamped in them, and not "Bandit 1200" or "GSXR750" then I should get away with it. Also having the B12 mid pipe gives me some bolt-on exhaust options down the track.

I've scrubbed off all the rust from my headers and given them a coat of silver hi-temp paint.

A set of Dominator headlights are on their way from the UK. As much as I like to buy local, these were about half the cost of any set I could find in Australia and that includes the postage charges. I'm going to attempt to bend up some brackets out of aluminium. Does cutting and bending flat bar count as fab?

I'm currently sussing out what to do about the stock oil cooler. It has more bent fins than straight ones so an aftermarket item with shiny hoses and connectors is on the shopping list.

The carbs are out and need to be stripped down and cleaned. I'm tossing up whether or not I should get a jet kit. Seems like a good idea though since I plan on running pods and aftermarket muffler down the track.

As for the seat I don't know yet. I like the "classic" streetfighter lines of oil-cooled GSXR frame/tank/engine teamed up with a Ducati 916/748 seat but that's been done a thousand times. I might go with something more cafe-ish or I could make my own seat from fibreglass. Really don't know and it's closer to the end of my list of things to do.

That's all I've planned for the moment, and due to limited spare time might take me a few months to get that lot done anyway.

·
KZ1100 Fighter
189 Posts
mate where abouts are you in auz? is sounds like ur stressing
a little too much over a RWC eg. the exhaust......
as long as its not too loud and dossent have sharp edges you could
use a baked bean can if you want!

i have just done one on my R6 fighter in Vic and its not as
bad as what you hear, i even passed with a drilled triple clamp.

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in NSW, jarrad. You're right, I am stressing too much over RWC but then everyone I've talked to says it's hard to get a bike passed. Mainly it's that under NSW EPA legislation you have to have an OEM exhaust with the noise dB stamped on it to pass inspection. Of course I know it depends on who does it but I don't want to give anyone any reasons to knock it back. The mechanic I would usually have used for this kind of stuff has shut up shop and I haven't found anyone else to be quite so easy going yet.

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got some shinies in the mail this week.

Bandit 1200 link pipe arrived in four, yes four, days from US of A! Top effort, Delkevic guys!

Now I can bolt on some cheap Bandit goodness!

Also got these black dominators from the UK. Took two weeks. You Poms could learn a thing or two about postage from the Yanks...

Look into my eyes....

Couple that stuff with my knock-off ProTaper bars and my chunky risers/clamps which arrived via aeroplanes a few months ago.

And I ripped these out to clean up

And I tidied up the headers with a steel scouring pad and a rattle can of hi-temp silver

Yes, my garage is a fucking mess. I still have a few things on my shopping list. first up is a muffler, then some 2mm aluminium bar to bend up some headlight and instrument mounts.
Gotta make a bracket to fit the mid pipe to the bike since the mounting bolts don't line up exactly and the new pipe has a different bend compared to the old one.
Also gotta make or buy some risers for my bar clamps - the tops of the forks poke out so far that they interfered with the bars when I mocked them up. Some 5mm plate between the clamps and the triples should give me enough clearance.
Anyway the bars can wait. I just need lights, muffler, and re fit the tail bodywork for rego inspection. Then once the monies are paid I can do whatever the fuck I like! Woot!

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was having a play with my headlights and was scratching my head over the wires coming out of them. Basically there was one H4 connector and two pin type plugs (presumably for pilot lights). Huh? Why only one H4 plug? So a quick google and forum search revealed that one of the headlights is piggybacked of the one with the connector lead. Anyway after more of a play I've decided to junk the headlight wires that came with the Dominators since the bike's wiring loom just plugs straight onto both headlights. Easy!

I've also made a shitty MSPaint drawing of my mounting brackets for the lights which I'll make tomorrow after I get to the hardware store and buy some flat bar alum.

Not much of an update, but work and two kids has a habit of taking up lots of my time. I've managed to con the in-laws to watch one of the kids tomorrow but they couldn't/didn't want to take both, but hopefully that'll free up enough time to do stuff!

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apologies for the lack of pics - I promise to remedy this situation shortly.

Anyway struck an issue with the Bandit mid pipe. Yes, it fits onto the stock GSXR headers, but it doesn't stick out far enough to clear the swingarm. Fixed with the purchase of some Bandit headers (Delkevic again. Am I the only dude on the planet to have aftermarket headers and mid pipe with a stock muffler? We do things backwards Down Under!). Usually there's an issue squeezing the slightly wider Bandit headers onto the 750 exhaust outlets, but by sheer dumb luck my pipes came in five bits (four pipes and a collector) so they didn't require nearly as much force to fit snugly.

With the aid of a dammit tool I beat the crap out of the airbox and it broke kinda neatly in half which let me remove it from the frame. Til then it didn't want to come out and the carbs didn't want to fit back in. So with the airbox out, the carbs are back on and look swish with some K&N pods over the inlets. Re-jetting fun in teh near future also happened to be in my horoscope...

Also bought an aftermarket oil cooler. I'd like to say I fabricated new mounting brackets, but I'm not sure cutting aluminum stock with a hacksaw and filing off the rough edges counts as fabbed... Still the result is neat enough for me, if not as awesome as others around the forum (BurtonF166, I'm thinking of your bike here).

While busy hacking aluminum I also made a new seat undertray to hide/relocate the wiring harness and made a new battery box. This is definitely in ghetto-fab territory so I'm still deciding whether to persevere with it, chuck it and try again, or just use the original box and underseat plastics until I have enough $ to do the whole back end.

That's where I'm at after three months. Bit lazy I know, but I've got momentum on my side and have been making time to DW and have fun.

Pics of stuff you've seen a thousand other guys do better will be taken and uploaded shortly.

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Project Organ Donor - 1991 GSXR750

Pics

Shiny new Bandit 1200 headers and my "custom fab" (i.e. hacksaw and a file) lower oil cooler mount:

Upper oil cooler mount. Had to cut some 1/4" thread to 160mm lengths and shrouded them with 8mm aluminum tube to sandwich the cooler between the top and bottom brackets.

Battery box and seat under-tray made with some ghetto fab work and 0.5mm aluminum plate. It's not neat or tidy, but hey, it's covered by the seat so no one's gonna see it! I'm planning on hiding as much wiring as possible on that tray.

Close-up of the bottom of the battery box. Bent up some 3mm aluminum flat bar to make a cradle for the box which bolts onto the upper seat rails.

Lots of wiring to hide.

So here's how the Organ Donor looks right now.

Lots to do to get roadworthy. Any suggestions/hate mail welcome!

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Don't just hide the wire, get new terminals, shorten the loom, and re-use the original blocks. Takes patience, but much neater and more reliable.

Reactions: Sideshow bob

·
2,779 Posts
How about a nice new tail piece:D

.... Always think the std one looks oddly outa proportion once the fairings are used fore there intended purpose as fire lighters;)

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:doh:

Help/suggestions required folks.

Finally got some time today to tinker with the bike. Key in, ignition on, check lights and indicators and first problem has come up. I have no headlights. Well, no power to the headlights to be precise.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot so far:

Check fuse. Fuse okay.
Replace globes. Original globes okay but swapped them out anyway. Spare globes also okay.

Multimeter comes out (first time I've used one in over 10 years), set scale to 15V. Yep it works (Battery reads 13V so I can rule out multimeter malfunction).

First up try both headlight H4 sockets. 0V
Pilot/running light. 12V
Headlight fuse. 0V
Various points/plugs in the harness back from the headlights. 0V

I'm not even 100% sure what I'm supposed to be doing. Dash lights, pilot light, indicators, tail light, brake light all come on when the ignition is turned on. As mentioned my experience is next to nought so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fixed! Not sure how. I was using the wiring diagram and the multimeter and was checking voltages starting from the neg battery terminal and was getting nothing until I got to the hadlight itself. Them Bam! Made the error of looking directly at the globe (assuming at this point the meter would still be reading 0V) when the lights came back on! I think my retinas have been scarred for life, but at least the headlights are working...

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Put the globes back into the headlight unit and mounted them back up. Thought I would take a nice happy snap of bike with working headlights. But they aren't freaking working again!

And just for good measure:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Pull the switch block apart and check the connections there, may have a loose wire, or double check all your earths.
If no luck there, isolate every part of the circuit, test each length of wire for continuity

Other simple trick I use is to earth straight from the bulb to the chassis, if the light works then, it's on the earth side :D

If none of that works, kick it, scream fuck some more

Great looking bike, I like how clean you're making everything, not as ghetto fab as you make out
Subbed

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a little bit of crap done tonight.

First up for the evening I had to pour myself another dram from my private barrel. It's not scotch, it's blended malt - shows anything can be customised, even whisky!

Check the colour of this. That's oak influence from a seasoned barrel!

While I'm in the cupboard taking snaps here's a couple more. I work in the booze trade and my collection of wine, beer, and whisky is constantly evolving.

Here's a bit more of it. Shit pics but the door is jammed shut at the moment. All good stuff in those bottles though! :) And that Kosciuszko is good shit! All you Aussies go out and buy some, you'll thank me later!

Back in the garage now. Here's some of the self-made mess that I've got to deal with.

Indicators work, but the headlights don't. Time to get the multimeter out.

It's a miracle. First probe with the meter yields this result.

The offending loose connection. Lesson: plug shit back in securely after you relocate your harness.

Figure while the tank is off, to put the father-in-law's mind at ease I'll check the condition of the spark plugs (He asks me all the time. Why?). Plug from #4 cyl looks black and wet. What does this even mean? The bike hasn't run for over 12 months.

Okay, so I'm gonna go out on a ledge here and assume that all this crap shouldn't fall apart when I try to remove #3 cyl HT lead? It all pushed back together nice and snugly but it made my heart sink for a moment.

Sparky from #3 looks the same as #4. I'm over this crap already. I don't want a repeat of another HT lead/plug shitting itself - that's the kind of stuff I usually pay my mechanic for (yes, I'm time poor and inherently lazy).

On another note, rough mock of clocks. Need to template a bracket then hack it out of aluminium stock so I can mount these up. I like the old-school look of twin clocks, and it matches the twin headlights. And yes, my bike has no oil in it, hence the reminder taped onto the triple clamp - hopefully no muppet finds my key and thinks it's a good idea to thumb the starter... Maybe I shouldn't leave the key in it!

Got the tank back on. I have no idea how these things are assembled at the factory. Removing/installing a fuel tank should be easy but I struggled with this like a little bitch for a good 20 minutes!

That's all for tonight. Not much, and rather pic heavy for what it was. In the meantime, somebody bring me this bike with the key and a full tank of fuel! Please! *covet, covet, covet*

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Hey Cooky, time poor means thats parts will arrive at your place before you need them ;-)

And If your spark plug boots are falling apart that easily, I think its time to order new ones and plugs

looking cool so far

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IT FOOOOOOOOOOOKIN RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!1!!111111

Bought some "Start Ya Bastard" and gave it a squirt into the pods. Thumbed the starter and it fucken roared into life. Man I'm excited. When I get the Kwak home tomorrow I'm gonna have two, yes two, running motorcycles! I've always wanted to own two bikes at once (yeah I know some of you guys have about 10 in your sheds - I figure now that I have more than one bike any future acquisitions won't be met with as much resistance from the Minister for Home Finance).

Anyway the direction for this bike is going to change slightly, not that it's taken much direction at all to change yet anyway. Basically I'm gonna keep the clipons and make a cafe race tail out of some sheet aluminium I've got lying around. I was thinking about learning to Tig but I've decided to say "fuck it" to that idea - I've got an uncle who welds - and spend the money that would have been poured into that setup on parts and running costs for both bikes.

The twin headlights are gonna get replaced by a single round 6 or 7" and the stock gauges are going to stay since they seem to fit the look I'm after. All in all it's going to be fairly minimal modding to this bike. It's my first attempt at custom anything so I'm going to apply the KISS principle to keep me out of trouble.

Tune in tomorrow to see photos of two shitty 90's era sportsbikes in various stages of neglect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts