Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up today:

She is a 92 FZR 1000 Exup, someone has obviously loved this bike at some point, but its spent the last 5+yrs of its life being neglected and came to me today in a bit of a sorry state.

But i looked past the badly fitted seat unit,appalling seat position for anyone over 5"5, terrible paint, and general tatty'ness, and have seen some serious potential... so i handed over my £1000 and brought her home.

First things first, i did what any self respecting Fighter owner would do, i took her for a ride!

Only did 40 or so miles, just to get to grips with her, how she rode etc - Gotta say im impressed!! for a 22 year old bike, she sure does shift! wheelspins and wheelies a plenty, she sure does love being thrashed!

Future plans:

First things first, she needs a new front tyre!
Do something with the seat unit, most likely replace it with a k4 GSXR 750 seat unit.
New exhaust hanger
More Modern headlight setup, and possibly small digital speedo
Change exhaust at some point, something short and underslung
Bellypan to hide the hideous headers
Re-polish frame, swingarm, fork lowers, engine casings etc
Paint. Honda Nighthawk Blue most likely, its like a gloss black til the sunlight hits it then its pearled blue.

Loads on at work at the moment though, and my trackbike to finish off, so progress will be slow!

Peace!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys :)

I promise, lots of pics as and when stuff happens, but for next few weeks at least ill just be riding her.

More i look at the tail, the more i dislike it, its too big, too bulky, and generally doesnt suit the bike imo. I have a spare k4 GSXR tail and seat sat in the garage, so will try that for size and see what i think, failing that i may go for something like a new style Aprilia RS125 unit. Mate has a brand new setup sat in his garage, subframe, plastics,seat, light etc which i can get pretty cheap, so thats definately an option!

Im going to paint all the brackets etc gloss black, but leave the frame etc polished. Id not polish anything myself usually, but seeing as the hard work has already been done, im going to run with it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found myself with a spare 20mins over the weekend, so pulled the seat unit off to see what could be done with it.

Tried just seeing what it would look like if i got the ducati style rear end better positioned:

And tried the K4 GSXR tail also:

Not really feeling either tbh. Both too much of an angle and k4 seat is too narrow at base to slip over the frame rails. Think both are too long also, and the ducati style unit too wide.

Monstrosity of a subframe, look how high that bloody seat support is!:

Think im going to have to try the RS125 seat unit out for size.... or maybe go for something different altogether.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I wanted to like the re positioned duc tail... But you are right it's off...
Scrap that subframe and start fresh I say, unless you don't have the resources for building a new one...
In that case, get the resources :D . You'll use them again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We can make a new subframe up no problem, just gotta decide what to put on their first. Technically it's not the subframe that presents a problem, it's the frame rails....
Picking up an rs125 and cbr600rr rear end on way home, so will have a play tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i had a spare half hour... so i tried the seat units on for size...

RS125:

Doesnt look too bad, but needs the infill panels to close the gaps around the seat, and they just dont/wont look right. so thats out.

CBR600RR:

Way too long, would be too shallow an angle once cut down, its out.

Trawling through ebay, i did find a couple of possible alternatives... going to check out some local breakers tomorrow and see if they have anything worth trying.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so i **May** have found something that will work.... think its like a 2010 zx6r tail unit or something.

Its way too long and narrow as standard, so i chopped a good chunk of it out and now it sits like this...

Looks promising to me... But of course brings its own problems. If i go with this, i have to make my own seat pan and seat as well as the subframe. i also need to build the seat unit up to where it needs to be, and reshape the bottom to suit the bike. Its a lot of work for me, i have never attempted something like this before, but im really wanting to give it a try. If for no other reason than because it will make my seat unit a complete one off, and i know ill never see another fzr fighter with the same one. Thats the reward for all the hard work - just have to see if i can earn it now!!

gonna be a steep learning curve!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like project Jizz has blown its load.... Im pulling the plug already!

Reason being is that i have a 2004 GSXR 750 trackbike in the garage that i have spent an awful lot of money on, and i dont want to spend a shitload more on another bike to get something im happy with when i know the GSXR is a better bike in just about every way!

So what im gonna do is strip off the track fairings, and fighter the GSXR :) I figure i can always keep a set of track fairings in the garage and chuck em on before i hit the track, gotta make sure the bars will clear the track fairings, but other than that should be no problems!

Have just ordered some parts, will collect some more parts then chuck up a proper build thread for the GSXR.

FZR is gonna be sold to fund the GSXR build!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts