Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I built a weird Mad Max kinda summer beater. Which was cool, but then I got surgery done and I couldn't ride. Still can't. So I decided to start turning it from a ratty, nasty, bastard bike with CUNT rusted into the tank into something a hipster would spend way too much on in an attempt to look "cool". Let's get on with it.

A look at what we started with.

Then I lopped the back end of the frame off and started mocking up a GN250 tank. It took a few goes to get the angle correct, but I figured it out eventually.

I also modified the tank to take a screw in type fuel cap. All I did for this was cut off the lower part of the filler neck, where the stock cap locks against, and bent the remaining tags until it sat flat.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The carbs were fucking nasty so I ordered another set, hoping to get some in better nick. Sadly not, even the carb tops were just as rusted. So I figured out a way to fix that. Several hours hopped up on painkillers with a dremel later and the carbs were looking much nicer.

Opening up the carbs, I found a world of crap. Some stuff I didn't even know HOW to describe. I also found 3 seized float valves. Luckily, my second set of carbs came with a spare set.

Finally, I think they cleaned up pretty nicely.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In and amongst other jobs I painted up the starter motor and welded on some tabs for the front tank mount. For anyone wondering, Pinzgauer tie rod nuts fit perfectly into GN250 mounting tabs. So you know, just grab one of those from your local Pinzgauer workshop.

I then scratchbuilt an airbox, and tested it on my new rebuilt carbs.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Add some rubbers made from liquid pipeline, and champfer the back edge a little to clear the frame, and you're done.

I tacked in the rear seat mount before my welder died, so I had to clear all of my welding to be done in one night at my mates work.

Because of that, I decided to quickly pop rivet in the hanger for the tail light under the seat.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To line up the front tank mounts I decided to use a bit of paper and my own greasy digits to get everything lined up. After making the actual mount out of scrap steel

I cut a piece of paper to the exact same size, taped it in place over the seats mounting holes, and rubbed my dirty fingers round the outside of the holes. Then I put the seat in place, and drew where it lined up with the frame.

Lined that mark up with the frame while I had the seat off

Transferred onto the steel and holes drilled to make sure it's all good

And as you can see, pre welding, the job's a good'un

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because the tank is held down mainly at the front, and held against the framerails with some rubber to bump up against, I only really need a strap holding the rear of the tank down. I thought about just having a leather or nylon strap that runs from the headstock to under the seat, but the tank filler is in the centre of of the tank, and I've always felt those tank G strings to be a little lame. So a couple thin steel straps it is.

Gave it a wee test feel under me. For a guy my size it obviously fits a little better than my 6'4" dad.

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The electrics box needed sorting, as most of the controls will be relocated there. A handy Jim tin provided the container. This was a bottle that my dad was given after the February earthquakes in Christchurch, which a random stranger sent to him after he posted up that he was drinking a little more than he did before. I repurposed a tab on the lower left, knocked up a cute wee stay strap from some scrap threaded rod and a couple tabs for the rear/mid, and made a tab to weld on to the lower right. Result? The whole thing is solid as a rock.

I bought some indicators for way too cheap that I liked, and they fit the diameter of the frame tubes perfectly. So one sheet of steel and a couple nuts later, I'd filled in the holes and can now flushmount my rear indicators.

This is the point where I need to start painting. I'm doing this on as much of a budget as I can, so I'm doing the frame in rattlecan black, with the engine in situ. Paint stripping actually hasn't been so bad so far. The front is also off so I can start adapting some Hyosung forks to it. And, for some lighthearted amusement, some photos of my welded on areas so you can all have a wee giggle and feel better about yourselves.

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
This was a bottle that my dad was given after the February earthquakes in Christchurch, which a random stranger sent to him after he posted up that he was drinking a little more than he did before.
Hahah, that's awesome, gawd bless the kindness of strangers.

And subbed!

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It actually stands for More Parts Less Speed. No idea what those crazy cats are on about up there. But I will remind you all of the gratuitously inflated bike prices in these parts :D

·
Stupid motherfucker
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will beard products, suspenders, and a top knot be necessary to rock this two wheeled collaboration?
Also, fuckin' A. Your beard must be this hipster in order to ride it.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts