Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cafe Fighter 750

Bringing this thread over from KatRiders. Direct copy and paste. Called no name right now. I'll name it soon :)

POST 1: This is the start of my winter street fighter build. I love everything about my kat, just not the look. Im basing my build off other threads ive seen here. Hope you all like it!

POST 2: Thanks guys! Not much progress today. Mostly just trying to lay things down different, get a feel for what I want. Im starting with the seat/rear fairing. That one look or style hasnt popped up yet. I spent most of the time today cutting pieces of foam board to see if there was a style I was wanting. Still havent found it, but Im going to be patient until it shows up. I did remove the old vinyl off the seat. I have an idea roaming where I cut the foam right where the 2nd seat starts and use only the front portion. The rear part of the plastic seat pan would be my starting point for the shape I want to create/how my tail lights are fitted.

POST 3: Does anyone have any advice for the rear portion of the frame? I want to chop it down so just the single seat will be laying on the frame. The raised portion will be fiberglassed the rest of the way to form what ever shape I think of. Im curious on how to do the subframe support. It extends way back to near the tail light. Would it be better to shorten it, or remove it completely and replace with plate steel as a corner piece. I hope you understand what Im saying.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres what I was thinking about. The circled is what to remove. Should I cut the bar down, like red, or fill in with steel plate?

This isnt accurate. I just found an image off google and drew on my ipad while on break from class.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Incase anyone is following, I think Ive got a rough plan in my head. Im going to start with the gas tank. Filling the gap at the rear of the tank. This has been the toughest part in my mind to achieve the style I want. I will then fill the dreaded tank gap. I will then be able to follow the lines from the tank to fabricate the rear fairing. This was all mental progress, no actually building progress yet. Just wanted to get my ideas on paper before I fall asleep! Good night all!

·
King Ding-A-Ling
806 Posts
Also, bit rough that there's 84 views (at time of writing this) and not one single hello or offer of advice. Pretty poor, our standards have dropped dramatically.
We welcomed him in his other build thread he started here...lol. But welcome again! Check out my Kat build & also StaticLowLifes...we are about 12 steps ahead of you in the design phase of our bikes...feel free to ask any questions you can think of, & everyone on here will gladly help out, just make sure you PM the MOD's & ask them to "mesh" your threads, or delete one, so everyone can keep track of your progress/build.

Again, welcome to CF bro!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other thread was the required welcome thread. It said to upload a picture and the only one I had was the torn down kat. Ive got school and work everyday until sunday, so I wont get any work on it. Its dropping down to freezing temps here in MN and were seeing flakes of snow. So excited that my dad just got a gas line ran to the garage with a furnace. No more torpedo heater with multiple trips to get diesel! :) I'll update alittle more with what pops into my head during class today. Maybe as I get more ideas thrown around here others will start to watch.

I have done a crazy amount of searching other build threads. Ive been watching gsxf-750s fighter build both here and over at katriders. I still have to check out statics build, though Im sure Ive already read through it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually got today off, so I got some decent work done. Ive retained most of the original seat pan. There will be alittle trimming and adjusting. I removed the back seat, dropped the angle slightly, and started to form the shape of the back. Waiting for things to dry now, so Im going to go play some GTA :) BTW, this is expanding foam. Shaped how I like it, then I will wrap with tin foil and fiberglass. Lots of bondo and sanding will get me to the nice finish I want. Im thinking of gloss white paint, with black accents. Black vinyl seat with something embroidered on it. I need to look towards getting the motor dropped so I can remove any of the old brackets and holes for the fairings and fill them. I'll get it sent off to be sand blasted and lay down POR15 primer and then a nice top coat. Im in love with POR15 and have some unopened cans laying around. Probably not needed for a bike, but is still awesome.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
Heres what I was thinking about. The circled is what to remove. Should I cut the bar down, like red, or fill in with steel plate?
Go for it, it looks braced enough to me vs length. Cut it to where you want it and put a brace in where you've drawn it, grab a seat and see if it flexes. If it does then put a second triangle in to the rear most point, i'd use straight lines if you can though rather than the curve. Trial and error, decide what you want it to look like, then DW until you can get it to work! I'm guessing you weld or know someone?

·
Administrator
5,264 Posts
Oh, and a tip for pictures: use Photobucket or imbedded pictures if you can, it just makes it easier to see things and the pics are bigger, we love pictures on CF! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been getting some work in these last few days. Not too much, just some shaping. Im not 100% on the look so I might cut the foam down, lay some new stuff and give it another try. My biggest hurdle is finding a way to have the rising portion of the seat foam being able to staple to something when I get the vinyl. I may get some work done on it tonight, otherwise I should have some updates for tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its my feeling that the tail section on the Kats are too big. Yes the designers' rule is to "follow the lines from the tank to the tail" but that rule simply doesn't work on Kats...at least I haven't see one that works. There's a guy on Kats who fitted a Buell's tail section to a Katana...it breaks the rule for the tank and the tail but it looks very tight and almost how the factory should have made the bike.
If you're not settled on a shape or design for the tail section try go-old penciled and paper

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might start drawing some different looks while I have breaks in class. (Im in interpersonal relations right now, till 9:20pm). Will be firing up the heater when I get home and trying a few things. I do need to find my hot wire cutter I had made for cutting wings for rc planes. Works really well cutting foam. I have a picture of a kat that was found on the internet that I really really like, so now its just been trial and error. Im not going to lie, its been pretty fun :)

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
eh... really dont like it unless you can take the subframe brace that holds the exhaust and passenger pegs and do something with it... like burn it with fire or something.

If you get rid of that part of the frame, you'll need bracing for sure. but that seat won't look right with that subframe brace.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.