Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been my project for the last year or so. I spent last summer getting the pieces for the frame together and built, put about 100 test miles on it last summer, it seemed to be working pretty well. Spent the winter making the mold for the tub, and just got done laying the fiberglass for it. Need to do a little more fiberglassing and then the long process of sanding it down. Oldest kid is 6 now and I want to take her for a spin by the end of summer at least.
The bike is an 83 GS750

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I suppose I should explain this is a "partial leaner" style hack, where the bike can lean but the sidecar does not. Google "Kalick sidecar" to see the real deal.

Here is a shot of just the frame from last summer when it was still in the test phase. The weight was just ballast to keep the rig from bouncing too much and causing headshake, the weight of the tub will off set that and I shouldn't need any ballast, though I will likely put a steering dampener on whenever I can get around to it.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really cool man. Really cool. Still have the B12?
Yup, got the 600 for sale, proceeds from that will be going to the B12 once I get the hack project finished. B12 project is going to get a ground-up makeover. So if you know someone looking for a 600, send em my way.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bodywork went faster than I thought, other than paint all it needs now is a few things. The seat will be hinged and tip forward so there will be a nice helmet sized storage space behind it. I have to weld on tabs for the hinge yet. I know a place that gets surplus racecar 5 point harness's and they are going to save me one, so that will be going in too. And I still need to attach a proper tail/brake light and signal, right now just have a little LED tail light on it for safety mostly. I'll get the seat attached monday, then time to start putting some serious test miles on it, work out any bugs, and then probably get the kids going for some short skoots around the neighborhood later this summer.

[/URL]

·
Pinstriper4fun
763 Posts
that looks great. nice craftsmanship. kids will enjoy for sure.

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. So far I can't keep them out of it, they keep fighting over who gets to sit in it :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
That is impressive. A lot of time sanding a mold that size. Super dad award to you sir!

·
FNG
14 Posts
Most of us are guys on the site. We talk a lot of shit, give each other shit.... etc etc.
But when it comes to our families, there isnt a parent here that would not help another that really needed help. To get your family involved in motorcycling......to give them the lifelong passion/freedom that only a motorcycle affords...Well,.... My hat is off to you Sir!

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:drinks: cheers man

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx66skXRxx8
Thats a vid of another guys leaner, I made mine a little different, I have about 30 degrees of lean before I contact I think, he doesnt have much there with those saddlebags on.

So far about 100 miles on the rig and not dead yet! The rig itself is very light, and at slow speed in town its kinda brutal on the slow speed bumps, it causes some bad headshake. At speed it is fine, but going slow its not real smooth over bumps. I will be rigging up a steering dampener to help with some of that. Hopefully that will be the next item bought for the project.
Got the seat mounted proper, now I should really get proper brake lights put on it so the cops dont pull me over. I really dont want to have that conversation on how legal building your own sidecar is in Ontario :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts