Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time forum user, but first post to CF. I'll try to make it a good one.

Picked up a F2 back in October. It's my first street bike, but far from my first project. Other fun projects of mine include a 1991 Turbo Miata "Mazdarati" and a 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo Sedan "SuperSlut".

This is what Onyx looked like when I picked him up. I did have all the original plastics, but they were so wrecked it wasnt even worth picturing so what you see is after removing half of it. As far as I can tell the PO cut a hole in the seat, thought he was a pro stunter from doing so, and lost it mid-wheelie causing a substantial amount of cosmetic damage to the bike. All the plastics were junk, headlight didnt work, starter switch was broke and bypassed, black overspray on everything around the tail, rear blinkers were hanging by wires, foot brake was bent, levers where bent/rashed, bars were bent, tank was dented, and that was just breaking the surface. That said, mechanically it ran like a top and the forks and frame were straight, so it was game on to pick it up cheap.

Time for the rescue mission! Started tearing him down to see what I had to work with and what I needed to order.

Didnt take long before it was complete chaos in my entrance room of the house!

Found a new love for mothers polish!

Brought the frame down in the basement for a good degreasing

Had an overjoyous time dealing with this bundle of wiring. That said, it's nothing compared to the wire tuck I did on the mazdarati.

Milled the loop off the triple. You'll see why later

And so the painting began! Tried to be a little different than the typical "black everything" that I always see. I chose an Aged Bronze for the frame color with Metallic Gold accents and Matte Black on everything else

Ground off all the excessive tabs and brackets from the frame, spot filled, smoothed, primered, and painted it. Beer always helps fast forward the process :rock:

after paint, I had a pretty nice roller! Notice that nice clean looking tail with the big ugly seat lol

Relocated my voltage regulator, spark control unit, and fuse block to the already modified and shortened rear tray under the passenger section of the seat. Put the voltage regulator on the bottom side to give it more airflow to keep cooler. Figured ease of access to get at fuses and important electrical would be nice by having it under the seat.

Got the motor in with the help of a few friends, installed new clip on bars, new levers, etc.

remember when I milled the ignition loop off the triple? this is why. Koso DB-02R

you may be curious how I mounted it. Well, I 3D printed a bracket that used the existing threaded holes from the ignition. that way I can still use the stock Koso bar clamps. Pretty ingenious if I do say so myself :)

sitting pretty in the house while its below zero outside!

when out of nowhere.. a headlight with custom made budget brackets appears! Cant argue with a $40 headlight mounting setup!

got some fancy universal mirrors to fit on my universal levers that fit on my universal bars lol

Fast forward through the mess of electrical work with extending wires, soldering, and heat shrinking a million things and look at what we have here. Sequential LED brake/turn signal light. Still need to get the running light wired into the MT03

and here she is, just finished with "stage 1" of the build process and ready for my first full riding season!

Plans for the summer will include getting the tank professionally repaired and repainted matte black by a good friend of mine once I have a chance to drop it off. Then I want to buy some stainless steel braided brake lines. I'll be making a shorty out of the current D&D slip-on it has as well because it looks ridiculous being the size of texas on the back of the bike.

Next winter Onyx will be under the knife for a 06-07 R6 tail swap, so i'm trying to keep tail modifications to a minimum. During that winter I also have some Titanium things waiting to be installed... I'll keep you posted on these though, I want to get my first season of riding in!!!

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Looks great!

You may not be aware - but regulators run around 70 degrees centigrade. And they sink heat into the frame, through metal to metal contact. If you mount the regulator on plastic, it won't last long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I realize that running it on plastic is far from ideal. Kind of hoping that the airflow it gets under the tail will keep some of that in check, but we will see how long it lasts. Might think of a way to mount a thin metal plate between the regulator and the plastic for more heat to dissappate through for the time being before it gets really warm outside. Absolute worst case is I have to get a new one (or two) this season, I'll be swapping the tail next year so I'm hoping this is enough to get me by.

On the plus side, took it out for its first jog of the season today! runs like a champ, but i have some sorting out to do on the Koso. Its not picking up the MPH correctly and I am having a few issues with picking up the RPM signal. So the fun with electronics begins!

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Yeah, I realize that running it on plastic is far from ideal. Kind of hoping that the airflow it gets under the tail will keep some of that in check, but we will see how long it lasts. Might think of a way to mount a thin metal plate between the regulator and the plastic for more heat to dissappate through for the time being before it gets really warm outside. Absolute worst case is I have to get a new one (or two) this season, I'll be swapping the tail next year so I'm hoping this is enough to get me by.

On the plus side, took it out for its first jog of the season today! runs like a champ, but i have some sorting out to do on the Koso. Its not picking up the MPH correctly and I am having a few issues with picking up the RPM signal. So the fun with electronics begins!
It might be fine.

But actually the worst case is the regulator, stator and battery all go fubar. Maybe the wiring catches fire. And maybe the under tail melts too.

Think I'm exaggerating? Here's the inside of my tail fairing on a cbr 900 where the regulator failed. you should really understand that they only lose heat on the back not the front.

Reactions: ROBBO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be fine.

But actually the worst case is the regulator, stator and battery all go fubar. Maybe the wiring catches fire. And maybe the under tail melts too.

Think I'm exaggerating? Here's the inside of my tail fairing on a cbr 900 where the regulator failed. you should really understand that they only lose heat on the back not the front.

I know your not exaggerating. Point proven. I'll put it on one of the more important "to do" lists as it has obviously been overlooked while tossing everything together the last 2 months. intuitively to me it would seem dumb to put fins on a regulator if its intended to sink a majority of its heat through the base, but regardless it shouldnt be hard to toss a thin aluminum plate between the plastic and the regulator to sink the heat better. Given its a forced convection type of heat dissipation once the heat conducts from the regulator to the plate, I can't see how that wouldnt work. It used to bolt to a very small aluminum plate not much larger than the regulator itself so I can easily double that size underneath the plastic tray. From there I think it's safe to say it wouldn't be much of a worry for this season. Like I said, its all getting redone with the tail swap once this season is over.

In other news, put on 30 miles today without issues.

Got the speedometer calibrated during that time. The reason why I couldn't figure it out before was because the magnets in the rotor bolts weren't all orientated the same way. Flipped them all the same direction and the speedo is now within +/- 1 MPH from 3 different vehicles @ 65 MPH and 30 MPH. Simple fix!

Still need to get the RPM signal to pick up properly. I'm not lucky enough to have the stock wire work. Currently I have the wire loosely wrapped around the plug wire but its still not getting any signal. probably because its loose, but i was in a rush due to me wanting to take it to work lol

·
Administrator
5,263 Posts
Still need to get the RPM signal to pick up properly. I'm not lucky enough to have the stock wire work. Currently I have the wire loosely wrapped around the plug wire but its still not getting any signal. probably because its loose, but i was in a rush due to me wanting to take it to work lol
I tried that with my acewell dash, it didn't work for that either. Wiring it directly into the + line to the coil did the trick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wisconsin weather is playing games. I have about 300 miles on the bike so far, but now its all snow/ice and 30* weather.. gotta love it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the ignition is located in the hole in the frame near cylinder 1. I dont have a great picture of it off-hand, but you can see my red key-chain in this picture.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
havent posted up for a while now due to graduating college, starting my new job, and moving, but heres to progress!

The D&D slip-on that was on it was pretty bashed up by the previous owner. I didn't like how bulky it looked on the bike either, so I decided to cut the largest section of "good looking" pipe out of what was there. Turned out that the stock pipe was 16" long and the section I cut out to use was 5.5". It looks mighty fine to me and sounds pretty.

The belly area of the bike was then starting to look pretty mehhhhhhh....

so I had the stock side plastics laying around. Again, the previous owner was not nice to them and they were pretty beat up with rashed holes in them.. so i had some fun with a cutoff wheel, cut around the rash so could never tell they were "junk" fairings, gave them a quick cleaning and spray down with paint, and came up with this. Also pictured is some new rubber's. love the PP3's so far

next project coming up is working on the tail swap options and front fender options.. I really want to go to the 06-07 R6 tail, but I'm open to other sleek looking alternatives.. havent been able to pull the trigger on any given idea yet.. working on ideas on cutting down the stock front fender more too. it looks way too bulky on the bike right now imo, so google searching it is. Tank will be professional resprayed matte black this winter when i'm not so busy riding it.

and just because the weather has been great outside in WI.. complimentary rolling shots from my 300 mile day trip this last weekend with my old roommate in his Daytona 675. I've been getting 48-52 MPG in this thing. LOVE IT!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i have a lot more pictures of progress, but for now I'll post this one. Installed new black anodized Vortex -1F, stock R, sprockets with a gold 520 chain seeing as my old setup was stretched and wore pretty badly then finally bit the bullet on a fairly major project and got the tail swapped over to an 06-07 R6 tail. Turned out pretty nice if I dont say so myself. Took about 6 hours of screwing around. The best part? The tail swap cost me like $200 total with new parts. Pretty cheap and easy to do with the right tools

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
decided to post up some more pictures now that I have some miles on it with the woman testing out the new back seat.

Before

In Progress

Ended up having to get really creative with some bar stock to get support for the passenger seat. Its way overkill for what is necessary, but I'd rather have my ladies ass be safe and secure.

Completed electrical work and it all fit up under the new fabbed tail frame quite nicely

After

I was able to utilize the stock F2 rear sets for the passenger which is nice, and looks pretty good for what its worth. I will be cutting the helmet lock off the left side set next as it stands out like a sore thumb. I still may swap to the entire R6 tail frame at some point to be able to utilize the R6 passenger sets and have an even cleaner look, but for now this is completely functional and much cheaper than that.

A lot of paint work will be happening over winter which should really complete the theme I've been picturing. More custom exhaust plans are also in the works. Endless work in progress!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts