Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Hooligan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So passed my test a month or so ago and got bored of riding my scoot around while I work on my Zx6 project, so I traded my scoot for cheap and nasty Chinabike.

It's a Saga 250, one of only 2 chinabikes that actually go through the whole process to become properly road legal in Canada.

Brought it home and proceeded to strip it down to the frame and engine in my driveway and put it all back together with new bolts made of metal not playdoh. Fixed a few wiring issues so the headlight would work (kinda) etc.
Put a proper plug in it and raised the needle a notch so it would run OK.
Also threw a Honda sprocket on the back with 10 less teeth and shortened the chain.
What else, oh ya threw on a set if bar end mirrors, and took all the stupid stickers and crappy rack off.

Couple of things need to be addressed ASAP, the Acerbis Dimension headlight plain sucks, a candle would be better. It used a 35w incandescent bulb of a type I don’t recognize, I either need to do a Halogen conversion somehow or just get a better light.

The tires also suck really bad, I want to try and pick up an 18" rim and have it laced to the front, and get Some Kenda Challengers on there.

Also obviously want to get some more power out of it so a Pod filter, jets and a gutted exhaust will be on the agenda.

On the plus side it's really light and seems to shift ok, rode down some stairs and hopped bunch of kerbs on the way home from the gym last night which was fun. Should be OK for a commuter/plaything for the winter. Don’t really want to spend much on it.

Any suggestions with the headlight and front wheel would be appreciated.

Was tired and it was raining so I only managed to snap a quick cell phone pic, and found the stock pic from the Saga website.

Attachments

·
The Hooligan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea pretty much a DR copy, bored to 230cc

·
i'm a NinFo.......!
103 Posts
for projects or around-towners, there is nothing wrong with some of the china bikes. i know a guy who has a china copy of the virago 250 with about 20,000 miles on it, and he has never had an issue. of course, he might just be very lucky. dont know, but he rides that thing everywhere.

·
The Hooligan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So have been D'ing some W here and there.

New intake setup, with and ABS tube to locate the filter

Filter is shielded from debris

Also fitted an FMF rear section from a KTM, rubber mounted hanger.

Made a slip fit flange from and old scooter exhaust with a spring to keep it snug

Hangs nice

It sounds great pretty loud but not obnoxious and have definitely picked up some power.

fiberglass wrap came in so I wrapped my head pipe.

New LED tail light with integrated signals and new Kenda tire.

Made my own plate mount, probably lost about 5lbs from the rear end.

Cut the front fender down, switched to dual 55w H3 projectors and threw a Battlewing on the front.

switched to a better coil that has stopped it from missing, and painted the number plates black.

Thats it for now, will be getting some better bars and bark busters next.

·
6 Posts
I had that same mask on my bike and also changed dual 55W H3 to it. Just to warn you, on my mask the bulbs had melted the plastic around them and the thing is quite useless now.

·
FUCKED UP AND IN FRONT
2,808 Posts
Not bad. Shit, lace up some 17" rims and have a cheapo SM. Looks a ton better now man. Is that one of those $600 Pep Boys dirtbikes?

·
The Hooligan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the projector housing melted, bulb came loose and moved around. Will have to do somthing different there.
Yea may well find a set of 17" hoops next winter if the thing is still going. Probably not too far removed from the $600 pep boys bikes, they all pretty much use the same engines.

It'a actually a fun little run around, I hit some trails and fire roads etc and does pretty well.

·
fail-o-matic
3,913 Posts
looks like it could be fun to beat up on...

off topic: whats the story with the E30... looks like an 88 (the bigger late tail lights, but still a metal bumper, but shorter than the early diving boards) unless you've been harder at work than it looks or i'm wrong :) obviously debadged... and some kind of wheels with a little lip to them :)

Reactions: balline36m3

·
The Hooligan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea the E30 is another project that is moving very slowly lol

It's an 87 so pre facelift and the rear bumper is a euro spec item. The rims are 15" Centra's, they have a bit of lip and a nice old school look (they say made in W. Germany). Been slowly putting it together for a few years, right now I'm sorting out some elctrical gremlins so I can get a BC safty, which in turn will let me throw my coilovers on.

Too many projects and too little time.

·
VAG Commander
755 Posts
The old headlight looked much better IMO... and props on a nice E30!

·
fail-o-matic
3,913 Posts
ok the shorter rear bumper threw me off... nice looking 3...

·
The Hooligan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike got knocked over while parked in front of the gym a while back, so got a new set of Emgo YZ bend bars for $15, old headlght went back on with an H4 conversion and added some bark busters.

Currently looking for an 86+ XR200 motor to build up and swap in.

·
The Hooligan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Project POS has been traded for a 91 F2 :shocker:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts