Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. this is gonna be a long time thread. even tho i have already been working on it for about a year.

here it is. Its not much. EVERYTHING I have learned is from this site/internet starting about a year ago. Before then I have never worked on any car/truck/motorcycle...nothing.

well this is it. and its got a long way to go.

not too pretty to look at. i know.

this is after the 2nd valve adjustment

yeah. thats me pretending that i'm dingW.

some more

i will keep on updating this as soon as i do more work. and if you have any ideas or free parts to send me i am willing to listen and receive.:D

·
Candy Paint Whore
908 Posts
I'll be following this closely -- my '89 has been sitting semi-stripped since the first snowfall while I get my workshop in order. The subframe on these things is quite the eyesore, isn't it? :D

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is some more pics of the progress..

this is the bottom of my tank. well, old tank. notice the nice hole that couldn't be welded. (rusted out hole)

this is the junk that fell out of that little hole. another reason for the replacement tank.

nice and dirty fuel filter

along with a shit stained side(petcock couldn't keep it in its pants...)

some gooed up connectors

dirty ass air filter.

don't you just love how they cram all the wires/fuses/connectors/hoses/kitchen sinks under that ugly-as-shit front cowl? i don't...oh. wait. this is a "streetfighter" forum...i guess you don't like it either.

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be following this closely -- my '89 has been sitting semi-stripped since the first snowfall while I get my workshop in order. The subframe on these things is quite the eyesore, isn't it? :D
yes it is. but i am thinking about keeping it. well with some minor adjustments...lol okok major adjustments. gotta take it one day at a time.

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
more pics. i really do want a picture whore award. hehe.

this is the reg/rect that seems to be bad. me not knowing much went ahead and bought a stator coil and not a R.R. and now i think that i didn't really need it. oh well. it was cheap. $40

soon will this be filled with fusebox/and much more of the things that the ugly ass front hid.

this is where i am at today.

got the new tank. (yes that dent is kinda bad but i am gonna learn the bondo skill.)

oh yeah. free from the cowl...aka ugly ass plastic

oh. and some great advice from fathead, and worth its weight in gold....label both sides of your wiring connectors. when you go to putting them back together it makes your life easier.

OH NO!!! MISTER BILL!

any advice is welcome. oh. and i have a paypal account for donations and i accept rep points as donations too! lol

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the long term plan sound like? Tail, headlight, exhaust......... ?
uh. bike that runs!!! lol

actually gonna put some usd forks, maybe a 900rr swingarm on it, new gauges, tail/lights/not too sure about the exhaust. probably be a good idea. but hell. its gonna cost some cash.

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stained frame=good reason to paint it black! Maybe go with a spray can bed liner.

Dirty air filter...At least it's a K&N and easily cleaned :D

Nice start. The hard part is fixing all the broken shit first before doing the fun stuff.
sounds good, yep yep, and i know it sucks. but hell. its all new to me so all of it is fun. even the tedious stuff.

·
Danish CBR Rider
23 Posts
Nice with another f1 on customfighters. I'll be watching the progress.

I've got a 87 hurricane myself, that i am gonna strip, haven't started yet though, so nice with some inspiration.

Xet

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
some more pics of the tank and the damage that i am to be fixin

any ideas on how to tape off the gas cap area? i really don't want to get the paint stripper in the tank. i don't think i do at least. let me know if its one of those things that would be okay or not.

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
any ideas on how to tape off the gas cap area? i really don't want to get the paint stripper in the tank. i don't think i do at least. let me know if its one of those things that would be okay or not.
Just an idea, I haven't tried it personally since I just came up with it looking at your pics...

Take a latex glove, like some people use for working on cars/bikes or used in hospitals, rubber-band the wrist part around the filler tube opening and shove the fingers inside the tank. Then tape around the rubber-bands and over the opening with the glove in it to make sure it's sealed up good. Maybe make sure the glove fingers stick to the tape to make removal easier.

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
question. i am planning on making a bracket for my oil cooler to attach it to the bottom of my radiator, and after doing so my oil cooler hoses will be way too long. the first pic is of the oil cooler, and the hose ends. let me know if i can just cut it and reattach the connection to the cut hose without any problems or will i need to get new hoses.

this is where i am gonna put attach the new bracket. notice the nut above the header #3 and below the radiator.

here is the end. how difficult will it be to shorten this without buying a new one? impossible?

kinda an overview.

thanks.

·
Guile VS Ryu
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an idea, I haven't tried it personally since I just came up with it looking at your pics...

Take a latex glove, like some people use for working on cars/bikes or used in hospitals, rubber-band the wrist part around the filler tube opening and shove the fingers inside the tank. Then tape around the rubber-bands and over the opening with the glove in it to make sure it's sealed up good. Maybe make sure the glove fingers stick to the tape to make removal easier.
sounds interesting. I'll see how this works. hoping the latex powder doesn't prevent the adhesive from sticking. but still a good idea.

·
Trackwhore, R1 fighterer
273 Posts
I wouldn't bother with stripping the bottom of the tank. Just clean and sand it a little and spray it whatever color the rest of the tank will be. No one will see it unless you have the tank up and it wouldn't hurt to glue heat shield to the bottom when you are done which would hide most of it anyhow.

Plug that drain tube hole in the filler neck area too.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts