Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Alright, time for another huge update. This one has some up's and down's, but a lot of progress was made.

So for starters, I received more parts from PSR. My new clip-ons arrived in the mail, and they look awesome! I ended up installing them on Saturday, and may still need some slight adjustments, but overall they are a really nice piece. They are a little longer than stock, which is actually a bonus because with the stock clip-ons, my only option for mirrors were bar-end mirrors. Now I have room inboard from the controls to mount some inboard mirrors if I want to. Haven't decided on mirrors entirely yet, but if they are inboard mirrors, I will more than likely make custom ones. I also got my new Marchesini wheel stickers that were custom made. I ordered them for 2 different options.

I had to make a new brake reservoir mount as well. I still have my low profile reservoir to install, but I probably won't install that until I decide to bleed the lines again.

Now here is one of those times when you know during a build, something has to go wrong. Well, this was all my fault. Ill just consider it a learning curve. Well, when I installed my rear bearings, I was unaware the spacer inbetween the bearings was not aligned. What ended up happening is when I pressed in the opposite bearing once the first one was already in, the shaft ended up slightly pushing the already installed bearing out a little bit. I didn't know this until I went to install the wheel. Not a huge deal, because I was able to realign the spacer, and tap the bearing in place. Well, I was being slightly impatient and tried to carefully tap it in on the bearing spacer, and ended up denting the spacer. So it was at that point I had decided it was already going to need to be replaced, so I just kept hammering on it. Good news is, bearings are now fully seated and spinning like butter. Bad news, spacer was completely destroyed. Instead of calling Marchesini and ordering the part and waiting who knows how long, I headed over to my shop and just made a new one.

I know it looks ugly, but sometimes when working on things, you get frustrated, and that little piece of shit aluminum was on the wrong end of the hammer that day. haha. The new spacer fits every bit as good as the old one, and even looks kinda cool once the wheel is in place.

So with that new behind me, it was on to finishing up installing the tail section and the headlight along with my new turn signals and carbon fiber inserts that I cut. I also picked up a set of Koso turn signals to replace the god awful ones that were on there before. They weren't cheap, but they look so much better, and they are crazy bright, which is the point of a turn signal. Plus, as you can tell, the new powder coated bracket looks so much better now.

So once that was all done, it was time to cut the old chain off, install the rear wheel, and roll her out of my garage for the first time in months. I havent gotten my chain kit, rearsets, or front bearings yet, so that's why the front wheel isn't fully bolted down yet and the calipers are still loose. I did this to just get a full visual of the bike when its almost done. And it looks amazing.

So as you can see, its almost there. This was the first time ever since I started this build where I stepped back, and could finally appreciate all the long hours Ive spent in my garage, and all the hard work that went into making a lot of these pieces. Its like when you're building a puzzle, and you know you still have a few pieces left, but the picture is there, and it just needs that final push.

So from here I will need to do that chain kit, rearsets, install the front bearings, torque down the front rotors, and then finish off mounting the carbon fiber tank side fairings. Ill keep you guys posted as always, but expect a video soon. I took one yesterday, but I don't know how to upload it yet without it looking like it was filmed from a potato. Once I do figure it out, Ill post it up.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Well, I can officially say the bike is done! I finally received my chain kit and rearsets, and was able to finish everything up. I took it out for a quick ride the other night, and it feels so good to be back out on a bike. Ill keep this update short and sweet and just get straight into the pictures!

Thats about it for right now. Hopefully after the holidays, Ill get some much better pictures and Ill post them up. In the meantime, hope you dudes have a happy holiday season!

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
For a mostly factory bike blasted with a shotgun of aftermarket parts and your own custom touches. It is simply gorgeous. You did a fantastic job.

What's that even mean... Why can't u have just said "you did a fantastic job"??
I'm no meteorologist, but this is how usually shit storms begin to take place, right?

And not to hijack the thread - always been an admirer of the bike, top notch stuff finishing it up just as clean!

·
Registered
204 Posts
What's that even mean... Why can't u have just said "you did a fantastic job"??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
It means exactly what was said. Rarely would I say that a mostly factory big 4 jap bike was 'gorgeous' even if it did have (~8-10k?) in aftermarket parts.

Most bikes that I would say that about would be significantly more modified from their original form and 'gorgeous' as a byproduct of the craftsmanship that went into the rendering. This bike definitely had both and thus I see it as pretty fkin gorgeous.

If that's not a compliment I don't know what is. Don't have to get butthurt on his behalf brotha

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
It means exactly what was said. Rarely would I say that a mostly factory big 4 jap bike was 'gorgeous' even if it did have (~8-10k?) in aftermarket parts.

Most bikes that I would say that about would be significantly more modified from their original form and 'gorgeous' as a byproduct of the craftsmanship that went into the rendering. This bike definitely had both and thus I see it as pretty fkin gorgeous.

If that's not a compliment I don't know what is. Don't have to get butthurt on his behalf brotha
I knew exactly what you meant. haha. Thanks for the compliments! I decided to leave the stock suspension and calipers because after all, this is just a street bike that I don't plan on doing any track days with, and its comfortable. So I know exactly where you were coming from. haha

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
I'm no meteorologist, but this is how usually shit storms begin to take place, right?

And not to hijack the thread - always been an admirer of the bike, top notch stuff finishing it up just as clean!
Thanks a lot! My buddy laughed at me when I told him it was finally done, and he said, "My car has been done 5 times already." haha. So as much as I'd like to say its done, we all know that's not the case. Of course, if things change, I will update the thread!

161 - 173 of 173 Posts