Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member on and off here for awhile now and now its time to get my hands dirty and jump in with both feet. october last year i Traded a used laptop (worth around 250$) for a 1998 Yamaha YZF600R, she wasnt pretty, had been laid over several times, bent forks, second gear was out completely and had a salvage title..... but i cant let potential die :rock: . have been debating and trying to figure out which way to go with it since i did ride it every day till recently (3rd gear shattered and took out whole tranny, video will be posted of sound it makes in nuetral) but here are some pics of the day the P.O delevered it to my home

Now as i said i had 3rd gear shatter and the bike is in operable so now i have to pull the engine rip it down and rebuild the trans so i figured it would be a good time to start the fighter process. earlier yesterday with the help from my dad we ripped out the motor and started to tear the bike down

here is how she sits now

and finally the tear jerker part :wtf: deffinantly need new forks

now where to befin taking a sawzaw to lol, anyway this is the progress so far if anyone has a spare trans or engine (yzf600r, 750r, or i could only dream 1000r aka thunderace) for a decent price let me knwo also will need forks, and some pointers along the way ill keep updating as i go along

and here is the video of my epic failure trying to figure out what went wrong
http://youtu.be/xOBOcC5hzfI

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Forks are so badly bent that I'd e worried about the yokes (trees) and frame too. Get the frame checked and then fit some r1 USDs, your calipers fit if you get the right model.

But the main thing - get a motor before spending money on anything else. You might be unable to find anything in budget or need to spend more than you thought on a revuild then you could have a lovely rolling chassis but need to find a way to fit pedals to it.

Humbly, I suggest it's only just worth fixing, if its worth fixing. Busted panels, forks, engine and maybe frame... What's left to save? You would cerainly have an easier time starting wih a better bike.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I've got a 99 r1 front for sake for pretty damn cheap PM me if you're interested

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forks are so badly bent that I'd e worried about the yokes (trees) and frame too. Get the frame checked and then fit some r1 USDs, your calipers fit if you get the right model.

But the main thing - get a motor before spending money on anything else. You might be unable to find anything in budget or need to spend more than you thought on a revuild then you could have a lovely rolling chassis but need to find a way to fit pedals to it.

Humbly, I suggest it's only just worth fixing, if its worth fixing. Busted panels, forks, engine and maybe frame... What's left to save? You would cerainly have an easier time starting wih a better bike.
have been looking at a few items that i could cross fit, not sure what you mean by R1 usd's please enlighten me if you could lol.
I have been on ebay and not sure of the r1 motormount spacing i would love to fit an r1 engine on this bike if anyone has measurements for me it would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
USD= UpSideDown forks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Your bike has the larger fork tube at the bottom and the shiny part is at the top. On USD forks the larger fork tube or body is at the top. The setup is inverted. All the newer sport bikes have USD forks. Also you are fookin nuts for riding that thing with the tubes tweaked. I cant believe you didn't hurt yourself. You are lucky. Good luck with the build and keep us posted

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok really Stupid Question, i tore the engine down as far as i could get it today without an impact gun for the clutch basket..... anyway was looking online err youtube and seen on an episode of cafe racer tv (season4 episode 5) they took the head off and turned it around putting the exhaust to the rear of the bike and the carbs to the front, has anyone tried this on any other bikes... thinking of doing this to my project to give it a different touch. will it work? or do i have to swap cams around and reroute the oil return line. i have test fitted the top half of the cylinders to the jug section backwards with carbs to the front. im willing to give it a try after i fix the tranny but dont want to damage anything

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
itll make it back together that i gaurentee, decided to put the motor back to the way it was, decided on going with a vfr750 sssa on it just waiting on cash funds to start coming in from these 50 hour weeks im working. sadly bills first toys later but in the mean time i am cleaning up the pistons,valves and such so when i get the trans i can put it in and start on the frame

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
and the little gifts my trans left me in the bottom of the oil pan

Ok really Stupid Question, i tore the engine down as far as i could get it today without an impact gun for the clutch basket..... anyway was looking online err youtube and seen on an episode of cafe racer tv (season4 episode 5) they took the head off and turned it around putting the exhaust to the rear of the bike and the carbs to the front, has anyone tried this on any other bikes... thinking of doing this to my project to give it a different touch. will it work? or do i have to swap cams around and reroute the oil return line. i have test fitted the top half of the cylinders to the jug section backwards with carbs to the front. im willing to give it a try after i fix the tranny but dont want to damage anything
I don't think so. On that episode it was a simple air cooled 2 stroke motor with tons of room in front of the motor between the forks and tons of room between the gas tank and engine. While you have your cam guide/chain/sprockets in the middle, it looks like it's not exactly symmetrical as far as your coolant/oil passages from looking at a head gasket for your bike. You'll have to look closely at your engine, but it's essential that those are symmetrical coming off of the water jacket. Are your exhaust valves the same size as your intake valves? Usually, they're a different size, and you could run into PTV clearance issues (meaning you'd have to flip your pistons too).

And even if it physically fit together - you'll have 4 carbs pointed upwards as opposed to 4 small exhaust pipes pointed downwards. You'd have to have your carbs and an air filter stuffed in there on the front with room for your radiator. Then you'd had 4 exhaust pipes running close to thermostat and running underneath your gas tank and next to your fuel lines...

So I wouldn't do it. I think you wouldn't see a single benefit with all of the problems you'd run into with your carbs. And it'd be a lot more dangerous to run your exhaust under your tank and next to your fuel lines... and as I said earlier, I'm not sure the head would be able to be flipped physically.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
frame is stripped down just need to get the rear swingarm off and start to remove the spraybomb paint and check for cracks, dents, etc pics coming this weekend still waiting to borrow a friends impact to get the engine case apart and get dirty getting the trans out and rebuilt

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just got my transmission in from rads cycle out of florida yesterday, 199.99 shipped everything was perfect looking, just waiting on gasket kit, chain, and clutch boss.

IF ANYONE can help i need a set of 41mm forks for my bike on the cheap mine are thrashed beyond repair would love a set of usd'd but they are pricy and need to try and salvage what i have on my forks ( calipers,rim,etc) to swap over
please please if you know anyone that has a set for sale lemmie know or have them pm me this bike is ready to go for road redyness to ride till my ducati 1095 subframe comes in

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Those forks are so badly fucked, you need to check that the triples , handlebars and rim are straight. You may have less there to save than you think! (Which is kind of a motto for this whole thread)

If you want it to 'just work' then it's going to have to be thundercat forks. Bear in mind your brake calipers and maybe wheel and disc will work with 98ish r1 usd forks, which are now old an surely must be possible for cheap?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.