Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1982 GL1100 Standard a couple weeks ago for $1,300. It's the naked version, but it came with a Vetter fairing and a god-awful ugly sissy bar. The bike runs and rides great, but needs some minor cosmetic help plus some maintenance. It has ~58,000 miles, so it's definitely due for some attention. This is my only bike and since I have been bikeless for almost 2 years I am going to ride the hell out of it and work on it as I go. This will not be a full strip and rebuild, this is going to be an extremely slow project. Initially its just going to be catching up on maintenance and stripping the uglier bits off. Hopefully I'll be able to strip her down this winter and do some real work. For now, I'm just happy to be back on 2 wheels.

As I picked it up

As it sits now

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rebuilt the forks and freshened the brakes.

I also got rid of the fairing.

This is pretty much how it sits now. I have a spare seat I'm planning on cutting up and making a cafe-style solo seat that I can swap on in 2 minutes. I also have signals to mount and I have to figure out what to do about the rear fender/lighting. And I have to pick what bars I want to go with so I can figure out what length brake lines and so on I need because I want SS lines and a new master cylinder. Oh, and I've been emailing back and forth with DanMoto about exhaust options. so much to do, so little money...

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't decide what to do with the exhaust. I made some quick MSPaint pictures and I can't decide. I know they look like shit, it's MS Paint and I'm no artist, but the idea is there. What do you think?

EMGO's ran 4-4 (Cheaper and easier)

or DanMoto's ran 4-2 (More expensive, would require custom y-pipe)

Also, I had a spare seat with torn upholstery, so I'm working on turning that into a cafe styled single seater so I can clean up the ass end. Also looking at superbike bars.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I think the Emgo's will look better on it. My dad has those same pipes on his wing and he just slash cut his with a recip saw and it came out looking pretty good I think.

Not a great view but it gives you some idea.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
It isn't super loud; you can hear him coming from probably two-three blocks. I absolutely love the way it sounds. It's just something about that boxer engine.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
i have an 81 gl1100 sitting in my yard right now and a lot of parts. i always wanted to fighter it. but i doubt she will ever run again. if you need any parts let me know.

Reactions: TommyRocker

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you? I might end up needing some stuff, but I think you should try to get it running and strip it down. These bikes really move pretty good, and they feel a lot smaller than they are. They are just a real riot to ride the hell out of. Plus, the H4 just sounds like a monster when you open the exhaust. At idle it sounds kinda like an angry small block Chevy, but when you really beat on it it sounds like Satan's Porsche. If you are dead sure you're never gonna get to it, I might need some stuff, but I'd always much rather you get her back on the road..

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I did a quick paint chop and I think this will work for the time being. I might try to swap the left/right pipes so that they sweep up rather than straight back. I think it will look better with a little bit of an angle.

·
UnicycleMode
7,567 Posts
Where are you? I might end up needing some stuff, but I think you should try to get it running and strip it down. These bikes really move pretty good, and they feel a lot smaller than they are. They are just a real riot to ride the hell out of. Plus, the H4 just sounds like a monster when you open the exhaust. At idle it sounds kinda like an angry small block Chevy, but when you really beat on it it sounds like Satan's Porsche. If you are dead sure you're never gonna get to it, I might need some stuff, but I'd always much rather you get her back on the road..

Hell yeah it sounds like the Devils Porsche! :D

I did a 4-2-1 using a bunch of exhaust parts I had around and a GSXR1000 muffler. Sounded like an uncorked Dodge Viper GTS coupe when it was at top RPM. Popped the top of the airbox off exposing the filter element under the tank. Also bumped the main jets up from #145 to #152 and added a set of dynojet needle shims from a CBR600F3 carb set to it. (one shim each needle)

Quiet possibly one of the single coolest bikes I have put an exhaust on. I was really sad when the owner sold it. :(

Can't wait to see how yours turns out. The GL1000's and 1100's are awesome bikes.

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About a month ago some drunk bitch hit me. She left before the cops got there and apparently when the cops showed up at her place she convinced them that she was innocent and started drinking after she got home. Basically they called it no fault and her insurance politely said "fuck you" about it. It wasn't too terrible, but the tail light and signals are fucked, the rear fender is twisted, kinked, and stretched. The left exhaust also got bent into the axle. Luckily this is all stuff I wanted to remove and modify. Unfortunately, I don't have the money right now to fix it and, even though I wanted to get rid of that stuff, that wasn't the point. She hit me, she should have fixed it. I wasn't trying to get rich off her. Bitch.
Here is after the hit. It was worse than this looks, but still not bad.

Yesterday I finally started tearing it down to start the winter build.

As you can see, everything is dusty but the metal is extremely clean. Especially for a 30 year old bike with 60,000 miles in Chicagoland. For now I'm going to tear it down, remove unused tabs and so on, replace the belts and adjust valves and jet/tune. Then I'll start upgrading stuff. The toolbox you see is almost my entire remaining tool collection after my divorce, so it's going to go slow... but I'll get there.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
yeah im pretty positive she wont ever run again.

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a little more stripping done today and recorded a bit off the final run before complete tear down. My phone doesn't sound the best, and I'm no professional camera man, but here is a rough video of it with straight headers.

Sounds way meaner in person but that's how it always is.

·
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It turns out that I live like a half an hour from Joe's (JRK5892's) powder coating business, so once I get it stripped down I would like to have him powder coat it for me. The only bar will be whether I can come up with the money, but judging from his GL1100 build and his blue Harley, his shop does great work. It'll probably be so nice that it'll force me to do everything else to a higher standard just to justify the powder coating.

Right now I'm almost done stripping it but I found out yesterday that you have to pull the petcock to get the tank out, and the tank is full. I didn't have a gas can or jack with me so I lost a whole day yesterday. Otherwise I would be down to just pulling the engine.

Also, I realize these aren't major updates, but I'm posting them anyways as kind of a personal log since this is my first full strip and rebuild.

I'm also interested in color scheme ideas if you have any.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts