Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have one/use one?

I'm thinking of getting one. Don't need it for welding, and that seems to be the only thing the Ace setup does better.

Tell me if/why I shouldn't go ahead with LP/Oxy outfit?

Looking at Victor Medalist 250 AF rig

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ace burns about 600f hotter, but LP puts out more btu's.

No welding, correct. I'm thinking I'll use it for heating, bending, and cutting steel.

LP doesn't create CO2 as it burns, no shielding gas for welding.

I have a local place that refills bbq tanks for $9.99.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
propane is good to go. It puts out a higher btu at lower temp. Youll probably use more oxygen than if it was acy.

i have one for heating metal with a rose bud. Works great. Though i use OA torches every day for other things, propane is always good to have around.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I've done a lot of cutting with both lp and oa and don't feel there is a big difference in either. If you have similar tip sizes I doubt you would notice much of a difference between the two.

It's hard for me to compare exactly how much oxygen each uses but I don't think there is much difference there either. Work had a lp setup on their truck and we could do a lot of cutting before the oxygen was gone. The lp would last to at least 2 1/2 bottles of oxygen.

I would base your decision on availability of gas. For me it isn't super difficult to get a tank of oa since the farm and fleet carries gas but sometimes they sell out and it can take a week or more to get in. I can get lp anywhere. Even stop by the neighbors and see if I can steal it off their grill. Oxygen can be a different story if the farm and fleet is out but it's the same for either oa or lp if I run out of that.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
propane.... puts out a higher btu at lower temp.
I gotta ask about this.

You and I both do HVAC for a living. I know you know your stuff, but "puts out a higher but at lower temp" has had me curious ever since you posted it.

A btu is just a measure of work/ energy used (aka: heat). 1 BTU is the amount of heat (energy) needed to raise the temperature of 1 pound of water 1 degree F.

How is it possible for something to produce more "heat" at a lower temperature? If it's producing heat, then temps will be rising. Do you mean liquid propane will give up more burnable vapors at a lower ambient temperature compared to acetylene?

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All 3 gasses are readily available M-F for me. I have 2 weld supply shops each 30-45min away, Tractor supply 25min away.

Using LP will save me from having to buy 1 tank from the weld supply... big savings there. And again, bbq tank fill is only $9.99 2 minutes down the road from my house. So, I'd only have to buy the Oxy tank and fill if I go LP.

Sounds like I'm going with a propane rig...

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Shiny, it's in the quantity used.

Acetylene burns hotter, but it uses more gas to get that heat. It takes much less propane to heat that 1 pound of water 1 degree.
Does it? I have no idea how much propane vs acetylene would be used, but I am curious to know.

I can understand what you're saying. But it takes heat to raise that temp. So how do you get more btu's present ( more work done/ heat created) while creating less heat at the same time? Seems counter intuitive to me.

And if a certain gas can create more heat quicker, you can apply more heat in a shorter period of time. Effectivity getting more work out of less run time. I know run time doesn't exactly equate to fuel consumed, but that wasn't my original question anyway. Rabbit trail :D Sorry Seb

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Does it? I have no idea how much propane vs acetylene would be used, but I am curious to know.
I looked it up:

•BTU's of Acetylene is approximately 1470 btu's per cubic foot.
•BTU's of Propane is approximately 2498 btu's per cubic foot.

I can understand what you're saying. But it takes heat to raise that temp. So how do you get more btu's present ( more work done/ heat created) while creating less heat at the same time? Seems counter intuitive to me.

And if a certain gas can create more heat quicker, you can apply more heat in a shorter period of time. Effectivity getting more work out of less run time. I know run time doesn't exactly equate to fuel consumed, but that wasn't my original question anyway. Rabbit trail :D Sorry Seb
The run time would be less, but the quantity acetylene used would be much higher. It looks like propane puts out about 12% less heat but gets 70% more BTUs per cubic foot over acetylene.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts