Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all first post.....love the sight, especially the DIY section.

Down to brass tax, I'm looking to put a buell xb12 front on my 92 katana. I'm great with measurements and I know this might be a no brained for some of you guys, but I've never done it before. My exact question is what all measurements need to be done? We're to I start. Any advice at all would be great.

I did a search but couldn't find a link to one, so if I missed it please send me a hyperlink.

Thanks all, and keep up the great work!

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Get the complete front end, swap the stems, make a cylinder bushing for the bottom triple (press fit) and a top hat bushing for the top triple if necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
or go to all balls and type in the info of what you are trying t omatch up and they will give you the stuff you need.
Compare differences between the distance between the top and bottom triple

If it's within 2-4mm you can probably go and just do all balls conversion bearings

Otherwise best route is a stem swap
Yeah All Balls definitely works if the stems are comparable length. Without knowing more info about each stem though I usually say do the stem swap since stem lengths can vary drastically.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Get to 50 by contributing useful info
I would say step 1 is get the bike jacked up and sturdy on the front end. Not always easy.:)

You want to measure the total steerer tube length, from the bottom of the lower triple clamp to the top of the threaded part in the middle of the top clamp. If it is the same on both forks (unlikely) then a bearing swap to the correct ID/OD bearings will be all you need.

If the steer tubes are not the same length, you must disassemble both clamps and have someone with a hydraulic press remove the buell steer tube and press your old tube into the new lower triple.

Then put it back on using your old bearings and fuck with your steering stops if needed.

Wait! I am totally getting ahead of myself. The buell forks and your forks aren't the same diameter stanchions are they? Cause if they are just unbolt the old and slide in the new.

jon

That would be too easy otherwise you wouldn't be asking...:oops:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
lol. the new guy gets flipped off and I get high fives for basically the same thing.

ah let the poor guy try to sell whatever it is he's selling. If it's not dirt cheap nobody here's gonna buy it anyway. And if it's a ripoff I'm sure he'll get basted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts