Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I need to machine valve clearance on some pistons. I'm using a Goodson UPV-35 UNIVERSAL PISTON VISE. Does anybody have experience with this vise? Or does anybody have any tips for me? I'll be using a manual milling machine and I was thinking about cutting it with a fly cutter...........Thanks for any input

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
That doesn't look like a very rigid vise. I don't know what kind of tooling you have on hand but I'd rig something up with V blocks before trying that vise.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
Use the head with valves out to set head pitch on knee mill then a more rigid clamp setup for piston on the milling table. That way you know your angle is proper and things are more rigid. (Assuming it must be done with the pistons out of the engine)

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
There's also doing it in the engine, but there's a significant amount of assembly/disassembly to do each valve. It does, however, guarantee that you will have everything dead center and at the correct angles.

Good explanation here. This is the way I was always taught to do it because it's removed the most "human error" variables.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1019296

·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
.055 inch or mm? If inch, DAMN! With that much interference I would have been looking for another way to fix the issue. A valve hidden behind .055" of valve relief pocket can't breathe anyway. Anyway, jobs done now.
inch...the were changing the angle on them...didn't touch one side and appx .055 cut on other side...they're for a pulling truck motor

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Just out of curiosity... does it matter if the piston is cast or forged?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts