Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Totallynew
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I tried searching for something that could point me in the right direction, but haven't had any luck.

I own an '08 zzr600 that I've been working on over the winter, and I have the full front assembly, meaning the headlight, fairing, gauges, bracket, windscreen, etc. sitting in the corner of my apartment. I want to sell all of this, since I won't be using it. Should I sell it piece by piece or as one whole unit still attached? Should I sell it on ebay? And lastly, is this a good idea?

All parts are in good condition, I just took it off for fightering.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Generally if I'm not in a rush to get money I'll sell piece by piece on ebay and craigslist. I've found in the end it will bring a little more money, but the problem is there is stuff that will sell fast and then there is the rest you'll be stuck with waiting for a buyer.

Piece by piece makes shipping easier on ebay, especially if items fit in flat rate boxes. But ebay has good shipping calculators for the bigger stuff. It will help you to use them and not loose money on shipping.

If you leave it all together expect to be beat up on the price because who ever is buying the whole setup is probably only looking for one or two things and then part the rest. So they are looking for the best price. And that usually means your price has to be worth it. I stick to local pickup on craigslist when I'm selling things like that. I may not get top dollar but it's quick and easy money...

Good luck man... hope this helped.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,373 Posts
I usually list it on Craigs for a reasonable price. If I dont get any bites in a few weeks I'll offer it for sale here. If nobody here wants to pay I'll offer it for free on CF. If nobody is willing to pay shipping then I'll sit on it till I need the space, then it goes in the trash. Then a few years later I regret throwing it away.

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
Usually, I'd say list everything separately, but if you have a matching set of fairings or a complete fork, you're better off listing it as a single item. It's not that you'll necessarily get a better price that way, it's just that fairing sets and complete forks are much less common that the individual pieces, so your stuff will sell for a fair price much more quickly. It also helps that shipping for the whole thing won't be too much more than shipping for an individual piece, and the less your buyers spend on shipping, the more they'll generally spend on the pieces themselves.

Given what you have, I'd try to sell the whole fairing as one piece, including the bracket, and I'd price it identically to another whole fairing for the same bike. Sell everything else separately. Figure out a fair price and throw it up for a month using Buy It Now. If that fails, take the relist option and do BIN / OBO. If that fails, take the relist option again and run it as an auction. If you haven't sold it by that point, you may as well just throw it out, unless you really feel like camping on the damn thing for a year while you wait for a buyer.

And yes, definitely sell it. I've never met anyone who's put a bike back to stock after modifying it, and there's no other reason to keep the stuff.

·
Totallynew
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to write up some answers, that's just the kind of feedback to my question I was hoping for. I'm going to go ahead and do some of the suggestions listed!

Ride safe.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just be careful selling on ebay. Make sure you take pictures of every little flaw, otherwise some buyer will flip out and go crying to ebay for a refund. Despite buying used parts for bargain prices, a lot still expect everything to be in mint condition. Or they message you 50 times with retarded questions and then don't even bid. I've gotten kind of tired of dealing with whiny ass ebay buyers and rarely sell there anymore.

Unless space is at a premium I usually just hold onto take-off parts. Down the road I usually find some use for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts