Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently building a gsxr 600 adv bike and I have no knowledge regarding springs/shocks. I am trying to give the bike a little more ground clearance and raise the back end more to have a motard feel of it. I am looking at shock swaps and seeing if there is something that I can do to get this effect. I saw a sv650 that installed a longer shock that raised the ground clearance from 6" to 9". Is this manageable on my bike?

Any info that can point me in the right direction would be great.

Bike: 2006 gsxr 600 stock

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started reading up on shocks and the attributes of them. Would getting a longer shock that has proper clearance help to raise the back end? I assume this would be doable by also having a stiffer(?) set up?

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you are trying to raise the bike by putting in a longer shock you will also have to swap the forks for longer ones. And a longer shock may require modification. I put a 2004 gsxr shock in my 1992, it's about 3/8" of an inch longer if I remember right and it wouldn't fit without modifying the linkage a bit. The '06 shock is shorter than the '04, same size as the '92. You can get some height increase by just switching to an '04/'05 shock.
Anyway without changing the front end you may not like the steering. I have my forks flush with the top triple and it's really nervous, like dives into turns and you're kind of steering it back up instead of into the turn. Over bumps the front end wiggles. I took some preload out just to lower the back end down. The damping on the stock shocks isn't great so keep that in mind too, it's pretty harsh.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Longer dogbone linkages maybe?

I think I saw somebody here make their own adjustable links. No idea who it was though.
The ones on (the front of) my bike? Link & shock from GSX1000, I think. And generally I think lifting the back end means SHORTER links; longer lowers it. That's how my setup works, and the configuration is pretty much the same.

A longer shock would do, but might cause other issues (minor or less so, depending on length change) related to fit and maybe how 'progressive' the stroke is. A stiffer shock (or more preload) will decrease sag so effectively make the rear ride higher, but sag is a GOOD thing- if the wheel isn't pushed up, it can't travel down to stay in contact with the road (AKA 'stop you from fishtailing').

New links really seem simpler, most are just flat plates of metal with holes on them. You don't need rod ends and turnbuckles unless your setup is already kinda wonky.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are trying to raise the bike by putting in a longer shock you will also have to swap the forks for longer ones.

The '06 shock is shorter than the '04, same size as the '92. You can get some height increase by just switching to an '04/'05 shock.

So If I decide to swap for the '04 shock, would the increase be a huge difference, enough to negatively impact steering?

Swapping forks.... hard job? Being naive I assume its just like sliding them out of clamps and replacing them.... but probably a lot more involved. haha

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
The wheel needs to fit the fork, the brakes the caliper mounts & disk spacing, the clamps need to fit the tubes, etc. The surest & simplest way to go is more like a front end swap.

If the ground-to-crown distance is good and the steerer is long enough, swapping the full front end is usually just a matter of finding the right adaptor bearing on http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion (maybe not even that for some models) but when you start mixing wheels and clamps from different sets, it may take a bit more.

·
Registered
705 Posts
So If I decide to swap for the '04 shock, would the increase be a huge difference, enough to negatively impact steering?

Swapping forks.... hard job? Being naive I assume its just like sliding them out of clamps and replacing them.... but probably a lot more involved. haha
I don't have the numbers handy anymore, I'd guess you would gain about an inch at the tail. There's a user here named racinggeek that has done some gsxr swaps he might have a better guess. If you want to know what that feels like drop the forks down about an inch in the triples and go for a ride but be careful because it may be pretty unstable. Their isn't a lot of rake with that bike so front and rear ride height make big changes.

Swapping forks can open a can of worms but if you can find a set with the same diameter and spacing you can just use the whole front end. There is a sticky on this site somewhere about fork swaps. Otherwise you're looking at custom triples, axles, spacers, etc.

Honestly if you need more height than that you may want to look at a different bike to start with because the shock linkage isn't going to work well with a huge change in shock height. There are probably other guys here that know more about how much the linkage will tolerate an increase in height.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts