Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the site. I'm building a 1983 gs1100es fighter. I'm looking to put hayabusa wheels on it. Is it possible to stuff the 6 in wheels in the stock swinger? I'd like to put atleast a 170 tire on the back, if possible I'd like to go to a 190. I have a 160 on it now and its pretty tight. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,077 Posts
You can put a 5.5" oil-cooled Gsxr rim in the stock swinger but I'm thinking thats about as wide as you can go which leaves you with a 180 tire. You could always swap swingarms if you really want a 190/200 on a 6" rim but unless you're drag racing and need the bigger footprint, a 160/170 will be plenty and might handle better due to less rotating weight.

Later, Doug

G

·
You wont get the 6" busa wheel in the stock swinger its way too wide

you can do it with a modded swingarm which takes the busa sized spindle but then you run into alignment problems with the chain IE to get a good chain run you need to offset the front sprocket & then the chain hits the frame so the frame needs to be notched & modded, even with a 170 or 180 you will hit that problem

you cant stick a 170 on a 6" rim anyway it will deform the tyre

The easiest way to get a modern wheel etc in this frame is to go with a monoshock setup from a gsxr slingshot or similar the frame problem still applies though

·
FNG
68 Posts
1990 gsxr1100 swingarm installed complete from pivot to rubber in 1983 gs1100e frame. it's tight, 520 chain conversion, plus if you run a clip type master link, you've got to run it on the inside of the chain. I located the motor in the frame with the stock front mounts and built the rest of the mounts from there. the hardest part was boring and widening the pivot point in the frame, but there is plenty of material there to remove and still be structurally sound. I used the GSXR motor, so I didn't have to use an offset front sprocket like you would on a GS motor. the front end was a bolt in. current wheelbase is 61", both GSe and GSXR donor are 58". I did a similar conversion on a 550 katana frame using the 84-86 GS1150e swinger, the Full Floater swingarms only require 1 mount for the monoshock instead of 2 like the GSXR.
bb7

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts