Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to sound so ignorant.. im trying to get my hands on a dirtbike, for under a grand.

I found a 1982 Yz250j that appears to be in great condition and was just rebuilt... its about 2 hours away (nothing ever good local to me)

Im 5'9 185 ... I want smething to introduce me to dirtbikes without wasting my money.

He is asking 600 and needs it gone, stat

go for it? or keep looking and get something newer for a little more cash. ( i have no idea what im even looking at regarding motor size... everyone tells me 250+ , and others 125 ) all i know is 2-stroke seems the most fun

I dont know where I should have posted, I just need quick input and this can be deleted once i decide.

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
I normally would wait for someone else to post something about the bike first, but since this seems urgent... I'll bite.
I know nothing about dirtbikes other than riding one once or twice (but a 250 2-stroke sounds fun), but I know a lot about craigslist...
If he's asking $600 and wants it gone ASAP, unless he has someone else lined up for that day, he'll probably take $450.

$600 seems to be a bit above part-out value... If nothing major is wrong with it, I guess that could be fine, but if it leaks, has anything bent, sounds funny, or has a questionable status as to getting it registered, the most I'd pay is part-out value, which seems like $400.
But... That's just me -- I'm usually broke, so I always need to have an out just in case. If you don't, you can pay more. It's a personal thing at the end of the day.

That swingarm is fucking sexy, though.
And cheap on eBay.
I now need a project I can use one on.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how come? too old?

This is what he sent me

"I have had no problems and certainly would not expect any problems with the engine and transmission. Yes it is a 2 stroke. Manual calls for a 20:1 mix ratio. Bike runs good, quick. I just zipped around my yard and threw some fields last year. Durning break in last year I ran 12:1 I had the engine off and 100% disassembled. Replaced bearings and seals cleaned stuff up measured piston and rings and clutch. They all measured at New spec so I did not need to replace them. I had the cylinder honed put it all back together, cleaned the plastics, put New brake shoes on, New kill switch and grips. I fully intended on keeping this but it is to big for me. I'm too short. Now I wish I hadn't spent $150 in stainless steel hardware to put the bike back together. I never would have done that if I was planning on selling it. Someone is going to get a smoking deal on a nice bike. If your interested your going to have to jump quick."

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I normally would wait for someone else to post something about the bike first, but since this seems urgent... I'll bite.
I know nothing about dirtbikes other than riding one once or twice (but a 250 2-stroke sounds fun), but I know a lot about craigslist...
If he's asking $600 and wants it gone ASAP, unless he has someone else lined up for that day, he'll probably take $450.

$600 seems to be a bit above part-out value... If nothing major is wrong with it, I guess that could be fine, but if it leaks, has anything bent, sounds funny, or has a questionable status as to getting it registered, the most I'd pay is part-out value, which seems like $400.
But... That's just me -- I'm usually broke, so I always need to have an out just in case. If you don't, you can pay more. It's a personal thing at the end of the day.

That swingarm is fucking sexy, though.
And cheap on eBay.
I now need a project I can use one on.
appreciate your input and the time you took to respond

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Good choice, the old yami's were heaps, and that one looks beat, Been running dirt machines all my life...you want a fun dirt bike, at a reasonable price, look for a 93-96 CR250, those things were literally wild animals waiting to be Uncaged, yami's in those years were pretty good too, but the yams got better in 98 when McGrath climbed aboard...zukis were trash until a complete rework by the factory somewhere around 98-00.....avoid Kawi's like the plague! Boat anchors...nuff said

You really want a fun dirt bike for the masses...(drum roll).....the Suzuki DRZ400E

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
I'm 5'11' and 200lbs, the 125 feels like a baby bike to me, the overall size of the 125 to the 250 is very similar but the suspension and power of the 125 is more suited for the smaller crowd and would be quickly outgrown, the 250s are going to provide a longer span of fun and learning

I had a '97 CR250 first gen. Aluminum frame and LOVED it, 225lbs with a full tank and it went from 0-psychotic in .2 seconds, only mods were boysen power reeds, FMF fatty and switched gear to 13/52 from 14/48 to slow it down for trail riding, I eventually got comfortable enough with it to run about 40-50mph on most mountain trails and I could get er to fly a bit too!....

The suspension was a bit stout for the likes of some but worked well on rough terrain at a medium setting, the engine had the characteristics of a Honey Badger, you could lug it to an almost stall then with a twist of the wrist it would explode out of the depths to climb any hill(if you could hang on)

Trails not your thing? Slap a Kings turbo paddle on the bitch and go eat up some banshees!! Mine would pull about 90 on flat sand

They are going for anywhere between $1000-$1500 round here, and good one is worth every penny

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
I got a babied 2001 cr250r for 1200 here. With a wiseco overbore and hot rodscrank its a monster. I'm still planning on doing it supermoto soon.

Without a place to legally ride i can't get on it much.

That aside I won't ever get rid of it. Its too fun. Mix ratio is VERY important, keeping plugs changed and the filter clean along with packing the muffler well and checking it often.

If a bike has been sitting plan on doing water pump seal. It can leak below the cylinder and splooge and kill the power.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Kx250 ergonomics are perfect. dont rule them out because theyre 10-20 pounds heavier than the competition.

97-98 was good years for kx250. it might be a little heavy and might not be the most powerful. or even technically the best suspension. but there is a "weapon in your hands" surefooted feel to them kx250s. confidence inspiring. im tellin ya... they just feel right. jumping, sliding, chasing faster laps. the kawasaki will train you.
cr250. anything after 89 really. 93-96 is probably my favorite like mentioned above.
yz 250. 1997 is when they updated the yz250 chassis from the "lardy" early 90s style (to which honda was completely immune...they worked all that bullshit out back in the 80s...) then yes in 98 mcgrath climbed aboard yamaha.
99 was the magic year for the rm250. they made right about 50 horsepower stock. excellent chassis. the ones with the extra wide radiator scoops.

at any rate it's worth spending just a few hundred more. maybe 1000-1200 you'll have a much better built better suspended "whole different level of snappy" liquid cooled machine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts