Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fuckers! Long time since I've posted in here… been busy with work and now I've got a little daughter on the way! Due by mid Feb but by how she's been feeling, its prob gonna be earlier.

Anyway.. So we are moving to a new rental house (with an honest-to-god good sized separate workshop in the back! :rock:)and I have an old cbr F2 engine in my basement that like 1/2 way dismantled… I had taken a small digger on my baby and the lower crank-case fell onto the granite corner of a sidewalk and cracked it.. My original plan was to either get it welded up or just buy a lower half used crankcase and while putting it back together, I was going to bore the jugs and drop in F4i pistons. Another reason I needed to bore the jugs as one cylinder got rust on the walls and piston…

Well, we all know the story of best laid plans… so it has now sat in my basement for the last 2 years doing nothing and I need to move it…

So my question is..? whats the best thing to do with it? I don't necessarily want to take it all apart sell piece by piece as I know that can end up being a huge hassle and PIA as well as a serious time suck. My ideal would be either to sell it outright as is for like $200-$100 or if I can't do that, is it possible to get some money out of it by recycling it somewhere? I mean fuck, thats like 150 lbs of high quality aluminum in that block.

So I would love to hear your guys opinions on what I can do with this thing.. I can take pics of how far its disassembled to get a better idea later tonight if you guys want.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Oh and if your in the Athens/Atlanta area and want an F2 engine for parts or something… hit me up! :D

Kaz

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
You could probably get $75-100 out of it at a recycle place for the main block, then just sell the head and scrap/give away the rest

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts
Make a base for a table, then buy a glass top for it.
Have done so. Used 1" lexan salvaged from closed bank. Drilled holes to match bolt pattern for engine, pulled the head, and bolted the glass in its place.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I might interested in it for $100 if you'll meet me half way im right out side save

Post pics I'd like to see

·
My son Logan - 6/12/10
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alrighty… just shot and uploaded some pics so you guys can see what I'm working with…

Valve block topside- still have all the tappet buckets and stuff...

valves cylinder side-

camshafts- rust free and I kept them covered by an oil-soaked rag to keep them from rusting up

top of cylinder and pistons- the one with rust on the walls I had cleaned with a small wire brush dremel tool, which is why it looks all shiny compared to the carbon build up on the others..

cylinder with some surface rust… not too bad, piston still moves up and down smoothly but you can feel it if you run your fingers over it, hence my wanting to bore it out to get to fresh, clean metal.. dunno if just a hone job will take it all out…

Heres the crack on the bottom of the block, near the magneto(flywheel?) and charging system…

so thats it… I like the make it a table idea… I could take out the pistons and weld them straight and make a cool coffee table or something… (I'm a welder by trade) but again, that involves work and time… which I'm short on both with all the shit going on and coming up soon.

Anyway.. let me know what you guys think and yzf fighter- If you could meet me in Commerce or somewhere near there, I think we can work something out.

Kaz

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Pm me maybe we can work this out only thing is im more south so Milledgeville or Dublin would be better. If you're in Athens if have to drive through there to get to commerce

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
I've seen waaaaay worse welded up and last forever. Check with a local shop and see if it's affordable or feasible.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Weld crack, fix engine, should take 5 or so years with a kid around, build bad ass go cart for kid, decide at what age he/she is old enough to handle it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts