Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Qwiksand's 99 sv650

Continued from the 2010 buildoff. http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26234

So I finally got around to moving the 2g Leo Vince exhaust mount.

I picked up a 350mm Delkevic carbon can from ebay. The finish on the carbon fiber is less than premium, but it's an alright muffler. SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than the Tyga I had on there, but still plenty of bark with the choke tube out. The aluminum flat bar muffler hanger will be replaced with a custom-bent piece of steel round bar- should be much less conspicuous.

Started fabbing up a new headlight mount. This one will drop the light down for a more aggressive look.

It's 1/8" plate steel. Used my tried and true "drill a sh*t ton of little holes and grind the **** out of it" method to cut the holes and cuves again.

Scored a line with the cut-off wheel and then beat it into shape.

Welded up the score line and tacked a couple nuts to the back side for the headlight to bolt to. I've got two mount points to choose from- headlight is bolted to the higher of the two in the pics below.

Not painted yet, but you get the idea.

Couple pics with the new exhaust and the lower headlight- lighting's crap since it's in the garage. I also cut a flyscreen from my old cylcops headlight and threw it on there, not convinced I'll keep it yet.

·
Clutch it up already!
708 Posts
I liked the old exhaust MUCH better. The hanger leaves a lot to be desired on the carbon can.

·
VTR fighter
1,391 Posts
Is that an 04-05 636 shock? how easy was it to fit? i need a proper shock, got the stock SV shock and it's SHIT! was thinking of a kawa 636 or gixxer shock. Nice bike btw it's looking ace!

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My butt dyno research has been confirmed, she is running lean across the board.

The set-up as dyno'd today:

Ported (desnorkeled) KN Filter
15 pilots
150 mains
3.5 turns on AF
Ivan's tapered needles, on 2nd notch.
Full Leo Vince exhaust (from a 2g) with 350mm carbon fiber Delkevic slip-on (baffle removed)

How does it run on the road? Feels lean...takes a long time to wind up. There is part throttle surging at the 3500-6000 rpm range. If I run it to redline in 4th and then back off the throttle, she stumbles and misfires getting back on the gas. Plugs were a little whiter than tan, but not pitted or heat deformed.

The plan:

17.5 pilots
155 mains
2.5 turns on AF
Leave needles on 2nd notch, adjust as necessary to cure mid-range surge.

I also have 152.5 and 160 jets on hand, but the dyno guy suggested trying the 155 first.

What do you guys think?

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that an 04-05 636 shock? how easy was it to fit? i need a proper shock, got the stock SV shock and it's SHIT! was thinking of a kawa 636 or gixxer shock. Nice bike btw it's looking ace!
Thanks man! I can't remember what shock it is. It's a kawi and I think it's a 636, but I don't know the year. Much better than stock, but I hope to add an aftermarket unit made for the 1g this winter- so long as I don't wad her up again before then ;)

·
VTR fighter
1,391 Posts
Thanks man! I can't remember what shock it is. It's a kawi and I think it's a 636, but I don't know the year. Much better than stock, but I hope to add an aftermarket unit made for the 1g this winter- so long as I don't wad her up again before then ;)
Cool :) im gonna go for the 636 shock.

My butt dyno research has been confirmed, she is running lean across the board.

The set-up as dyno'd today:

Ported (desnorkeled) KN Filter
15 pilots
150 mains
3.5 turns on AF
Ivan's tapered needles, on 2nd notch.
Full Leo Vince exhaust (from a 2g) with 350mm carbon fiber Delkevic slip-on (baffle removed)

How does it run on the road? Feels lean...takes a long time to wind up. There is part throttle surging at the 3500-6000 rpm range. If I run it to redline in 4th and then back off the throttle, she stumbles and misfires getting back on the gas. Plugs were a little whiter than tan, but not pitted or heat deformed.

The plan:

17.5 pilots
155 mains
2.5 turns on AF
Leave needles on 2nd notch, adjust as necessary to cure mid-range surge.

I also have 152.5 and 160 jets on hand, but the dyno guy suggested trying the 155 first.

What do you guys think?
i'd suggest no more than 155 would be too rich, 2.5 turns a/f needle on 3rd clip down, and 17.5 pilots.

i'm running same but with 138 main's and needle on 2nd clip down (a bit leaner because i got the desnorkled stock filter) 2.5 a/f seems to be what all the sv riders are using but depends on your altitude really :)

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tore into the carbs to change the jets and found a bit of rusty residue in the float bowls already so I pull the float valve seats to check the filters. Please note these were cleaned and overhauled approx 3-4 months ago- all new gaskets, float valves/seats, filters, hoses, etc. This is what I found in the filter bosses and stuck to the filter screens. One of the pilot jets was a little gummed up as well.

So then I try to track down the source and find this:

Looks like I got a bad batch of fuel line. This is 3/16 inch SAE 30R7 spec line, according to the outside print and had been on the bike only 3-4 months. I had two sections of this hose on the bike- from the tank to the fuel pump and from the fuel pump to the carbs. The after pump line was the worst, completely delaminated with rubber chunking off.

I'm sure this didn't help my tuning situation. ;)

To update:

- All fuel lines replaced with 1/4" Gates rubber XL fuel line that feels/looks like higher quality than the ones I removed.

- Carbs cleaned.

- 17.5 pilots/2.5 turns on the AF

- 152.5 mains

- 3rd notch on Ivan's needles

Results:

- Not alot of time to test yet, but this feels MUCH better. Smooth power delivery, great throttle response.

- I need to play a bit, still gonna try the 155's and switch up needle postions, and then I'll get back to the dyno to confirm butt-dyno.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Sweet looking bike.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Very impresed mate! Tha way ya made yer bracket,we are on tha same lines :D hard work anda lotta beer !(mebee tha beer)Looks super sharp mate A+ and REP!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
glad to see it about finished!

u ditch the flyscreen?

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I was at the dyno, I heard the distinct sound of a wheel bearing going bad so I ordered a kit from All Balls. Here's the stockers pulled out, but I didn't take any pics of the new ones.

I picked up a "blind hole bearing puller" from harbor freight (on sale for $32.99) and it worked like a charm. I wish I would have had it when I was removing the swingarm bearings.

I finally got around to installing the front galfer stainless lines and new pads. Since I had the mighty vac out already, I also installed the rear brake light pressure switch and wired it up, but no pics of this.

With them installed and zipped to the forks, they're much less noticeable than the stockers. You can also see I ditched the flyscreen in these pics.

Since I ordered the galfer lines from Blair (sv-racing-parts), I also picked up the little woodcraft reservoir mount he sells. It's pricey for what it is, but it really cleans up the bar. Side note: I HIGHLY recommend blair/svracingparts- very fast service and he's wuick to make your order right. Even when you're the one who screwed it up!

I hacked and zipped the stock GSXR mount on here:

And with the new billet mount:

Yes, that is a carbon fiber cover for the brake reservoir and I know it's gay as hell, but I could not resist!

After a rude meeting with the concrete floor (thought the kickstand was fully extended when taking it off the rear stand, but I was wrong), my barend mirror had seen better days. here it is super-glued and electrical taped in place.

So I picked up another set off ebay. They're not great quality and they disintegrate even in the most minor crash, but they are cheap and they work.

·
Sex it does a body good!
527 Posts
I hate when my bike tries to pick a fight with the ground. She thinks she can kick it's ass or something. I mean come on really. I keep telling her that the ground is not only older but it is also stronger. Sometimes she just doesn't listen. :nuts::jpshakehead.sml:
Nice work on the bike so far I like the way you have done the gauge/light mount.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts