Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Welcome to the new day...
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 93 degrees F with high humidity. I was supposed to race at 1:45 pm but then at 12:30 was told "Get dressed"

I was then told get on the track 1st you do a lap and take pictures then you do a warm up lap and then stop on the grid you are in spot 11. Ok I thought we are starting early.

But NOooooooooo

We got on the starting grid. Sat there sweating for about 10 minutes then did a lap. Since my tires were hardly scrubbed in from the few laps in the rain the day before I took the chance to scrub them in for one more lap and get them heated up a bit.

We came back to the start finish and then the shit hit the fan. All the VIP holders were allowed on the track for pictures. 30 minutes later in the heat of the day I was about out from dehydration. No matter how much water I was drinking.

Then they cleared the track (Thank god) then they proceeded to put everyone where they should have been. It took another 15 minutes before the flag dropped to race. I ended up grided 20th of 22 due to missing the first practice and scrubbing in tired in the rain on the qualifying laps the day before.

The red light went out and I took off, I passed a few before the 1st corner but then in the first turn two bikes went down and it was all I could do to stay on th track. Shit was flying everywhere. Batteries, foot pegs, body work bits all over the place. (Which stayed in place as the lame ass corner workers were too afraid to go get the stuff off the track (I guess)

My poor little 1988 FZR-400 was no match for the 250cc 2stroke GP bikes. (My 250 GP bike blew the crank on Friday so we hastily put the 400 together to stay in the race... the day before the race.). After the first lap I looked back to see I was exact last.

But being hard core I did not give up. I saw a 1000cc bike in front of me that was fast on the short straights the track had to offer but the rider sucked and slowed down hard at every turn. Plus he was all over the place. After the second lap I took him down and passed him on the high speed corner in front of the crowd. A little ego booster there to keep me going. (In my mind I could hear the roar of the crowd.. so pushed on)

(I got him in this corner next lap after this pic was taken)

Next in my sights was a 250 GP bike. I noticed the bike had crash damage since I last saw it when I was walking the pits so I figured he was still a bit shy of going fast as he was in deed not moving like he normally does.

I aimed for him and after 4 more laps of high speed ass puckering corners (My front brakes literally failed after the 2nd lap I used engine braking for 90% of the race. down shifting more than I normally would to slow the speed down for a turn)

Anyway I finally caught up with him. We diced a bit for a lap then I made my move and passed him in a tight hairpin then, he passed me, then I got in front of him in the same crowd pleasing corner as the last bloke.

(Thats him behind me)

I kept him at bay till the checkered flag. All the time wondering why all the other bikes were passing me again. Was I really that slow?

It was only when the race results came out I was told that the 600cc and 1000cc bikes were running with us. I was so wiped from exhaustion I never noticed on the grid. So I did not feel too bad that they were running much faster times

I ended up 9th of 12 in my class (250gp/400 4 stroke). I figured I did well just to finish as the engine was making a loud racking noise. I bought the bike for 300 USD and did nothing more than take her apart clean her up and add plugs and change oil. I never touched the engine or suspension. Used dot tires and off I went. I think the paint job was the only fast thing on the bike ha ha.

Oh yea the brake issue. Mine would not work so I took the ones off the Yamaha GP bike. The only thing was while they worked well they only engaged about 15% of the disc. So I knew I had a brake issue fro teh start. I said fuck it and went with those anyway.. after all I was there to race not stop riight?.

It made for some interesting corners and actually showed me just how fast I could go through a corner like it or not. If I had an engine that would get out of its own way I might have been up I the top five. But that抯 racing.

Plus I think at 45 years old the young bucks might have a bit of an advantage.. but I'll never admit that to myself ha ha ha.

Next race is in December but I doubt I will have a bike built by then. I am aiming for the Shanghai leg of the World Moto GP Race. If I can qualify and race that I will have completed my lifes goals for racing. USA Nationals - Completed, Chinese Nationals - Completed, World Moto GP (Suport race) .....working on it

Rubber side down my friends,

Steve

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Nice write up Steve.

You twist your upper body around the tank when leaning off?

·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and also your master cyclynder eliminator is on the race bike. Not sure if you can it in the pics but its there.

regarding my upper body twistign around teh tank..... I got a fucked up riding style but it workls for me.

I think Iwas taught that way ions ago.....shoulder forward, look where you want to go, and attack the corner.

I just do what works best. On the gp Bike I hang off a lot more, I think, but at 6-1" on these little bikes I tend to need to get the center of gravity lower than these little Chinese guys do anyway ha ha.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Oh....damn....get me a better pic and I'll get it up on my site. :D

·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I got 20 PIcs from teh Photographer I hired so If there is a good one I wil get it too you.

Also I got it on the street fighter so I will get a pic there as well.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Ok I got 20 PIcs from teh Photographer I hired so If there is a good one I wil get it too you.

Also I got it on the street fighter so I will get a pic there as well.
Sounds good. For the race application....I would also safety wire...."just in case".

·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Safety wire ha! whats that? I had Zero safety wire on my whole bike .... not one bit! Not even the brakes for gods sakes. (I am so stupid ha ha)

There is no tech inspection here so I opted to run it as is and hope it stayed together. I was in a rush. Next time its all wired up but this time meh!

Hey bro your product is international now man.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Safety wire ha! whats that? I had Zero safety wire on my whole bike .... not one bit! Not even the brakes for gods sakes. (I am so stupid ha ha)

There is no tech inspection here so I opted to run it as is and hope it stayed together. I was in a rush. Next time its all wired up but this time meh!

Hey bro your product is international now man.
Very cool Steve. :party-smiley:

·
Thanks Steve that was a good read. I didn't do the quote option in the means of reply, just lifted and pasted this bit for subsequent commentary:

..."It made for some interesting corners and actually showed me just how fast I could go through a corner like it or not. If I had an engine that would get out of its own way I might have been up In the top five. But that抯 racing.

Plus I think at 45 years old the young bucks might have a bit of an advantage.. but I'll never admit that to myself ha ha ha."...

So. Two things to ask you me old china...

#1 Why do you think that some spunky little bucks can show you how it's done when there is a good chance you will still be circulating when they are pushing up daisies as a result of too much bravado to excite young impressionable tottie?

#2 How so you can insert a chinese character in your text like..." 抯" ?

What you have done has lit up my day. I race to win every time I swing a leg over my chosen weapon..I am older than you even, but If anybody wants to groove on the twisties...bring it on.

I don't do track, street is more demanding than track riding at sub-GP level.

Here, the challengers dont slip off into run-off areas if they fuck up, they surely will follow a most uncomfortable route of tree trunks or brick walls or hidden hard obstacles in the long grass waiting to leave them a permanent reminder of the spill.

What I'm trying to say Steve is, some of us dont get the photo opportunties like you, but the common spirit burns just as bright as it did when we were "young bucks" too.

With a smart salute to your admirable spirit, and a playfull kick to your ass..Stop fuckin whingening...You got it made! :D

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
"Here, the challengers dont slip off into run-off areas if they fuck up, they surely will follow a most uncomfortable route of tree trunks or brick walls or hidden hard obstacles in the long grass waiting to leave them a permanent reminder of the spill."

Excessive danger doesn't improve skill.

·
"Here, the challengers dont slip off into run-off areas if they fuck up, they surely will follow a most uncomfortable route of tree trunks or brick walls or hidden hard obstacles in the long grass waiting to leave them a permanent reminder of the spill."

Excessive danger doesn't improve skill.
But it sure as hell heightens awareness

·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BB Dasler - Yes should stop whining and get building my new bike then they will be the whinners he he he.

Age is a factor for me only in the fact that they seem to smoke cigareetes all day at the track get on the bike get off and are not winded. Maybe I need a better carido work out but I get off and am huffing and puffing.... and I don't smoke.

Other than that. My years of experiance has to be an advanatage at some point..... I think that point will be when I get on a faster bike ha ha. Case in point the guy who one our race is 54 years old but has a true GP works bike as he works for Honda Racing back in Japland

I am not sure how the Chinese Character got in there and not even sure what it means... alone it could have as many as 60 meanings they are usually grouped in pairs to form a word. computer must have had a brain fart.

As I came around on the warm down lap.. I in deed felt I "Had it made." as you said. I am just sooooo lucky I can be involved in the industry even as small as I am I love bikes and racing and just thank God I can do this even if its for promo reasons (Thus the photographer)

I wish every biker could live his dreams. I am truely blesed.

·
Steve: ...."I wish every biker could live his dreams. I am truely blessed"....

Power to you man! and looking out for your next piece. :rock:

·
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Note the umbrella girls were totally lame. I needed to kick their ass to get them to do thier job. THey work as waitresses and were up till the wee hours working.

I wish I could have gotten a pic of the Motul girls they were as tall as me and long legged and... and.... FUCk they were just totally hot!

Green Lantern - I am not sure about a comic book heh! but I talked to AB about writting for the monthly new letter on line here. I think I want to start with some of the insane driving and riding differences between here and the USA. ALso the racing its total opposite in some manners.... heck I might even use my spell check ha ha

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
i like the comic book idea...SUPER STEVE's adventures in SHANGHAI! hahah.

man..i wanna go to the track BADLY!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts